Anyone been to Dudley Town, CT

Started by KeishaLover1, January 19, 2005, 07:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone here ever been to Dudley Town, CT. It was supposedly an old colonial village that was cursed with a bunch of folks dying and committing suicide.

Apparently it's up near Litchfield and people who've visited have snapped some creepy pics and also felt threatened. Supposedly the land is owned by a development group called "Dark Forest Entry Inc." which sounds pretty shady, pardon the pun, and have issued warnings about tresspassing that the staties take notice......

Some links I came up with.....

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ct/dudleytown.html

http://www.prairieghosts.com/dudleytown.html

Way cool.  Love to check out that place.  Adding it to the list.

Explore, Archive, Share

I'm iffy on Dudleytown.  While it's famous, there are many good historical sites that dispel the legends on it.  I mean, from what I've read I'd be hesitant to go just because it sounds like it's the victim of an urban legend and nothing more, and it's heavily patrolled.  And there aren't even any buildings or anything, just a bunch of foundations in the woods.  
I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

http://adventureswithmeg.weebly.com
http://meganmcgory.smugmug.com
http://meganmcgory.com

January 22, 2005, 02:34:11 AM #3 Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 02:35:39 AM by metalwitch
It is heavily patrolled, and some of the land is privately owned!

Take what is posted on ghosttowns.com with a grain of salt.
What is posted on that site, is not necesarily true.

lies, everything on the interweb is true  ;)  

Haven't been there . . but it's safe to say that since there's no such things as ghosts, there's no possible way the place is "haunted", unless you're mentally unstable, the same sort of people who hear voices and see things that aren't there . . maybe the fascination with abandoned asylums stems from your stay in one during a former life? (kidding, reincarnation is BS too)

anyway, I've also been to places like it, villages in the forest that have been abandoned, ussually consist of a nice path through the woods, some stone foundations and not much else, it was customary a few hundred years ago to take whatever you could with you when you left . . buildings and all. Not much if you're into the excitment of dodging security stay away . . you like the woods give it a visit, sounds like its in the middle of nowhere so it should nice 'n peaceful . . next time I'm in CT I'm gonna check out dudleytown :)

I think that there is something to this ghost thing.  Check out my account of what happened one night at the Mercy Brown grave (look under the explored section).
Explore, Archive, Share

January 26, 2005, 05:56:10 PM #7 Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 05:57:48 PM by dudemcrude
QuoteHaven't been there . . but it's safe to say that since there's no such things as ghosts, there's no possible way the place is "haunted", unless you're mentally unstable, the same sort of people who hear voices and see things that aren't there . . maybe the fascination with abandoned asylums stems from your stay in one during a former life? (kidding, reincarnation is BS too)

anyway, I've also been to places like it, villages in the forest that have been abandoned, ussually consist of a nice path through the woods, some stone foundations and not much else, it was customary a few hundred years ago to take whatever you could with you when you left . . buildings and all. Not much if you're into the excitment of dodging security stay away . . you like the woods give it a visit, sounds like its in the middle of nowhere so it should nice 'n peaceful . . next time I'm in CT I'm gonna check out dudleytown :)

There isn't any evidence at all to show humans contain 'spirits' or souls', so while I suppose it's possible that ghosts exist, I'm really curious where exactly they come from.  I notice that people that have 'otherwordly' experiences are generally people who are seeking out or hoping to have one.  No offense to anybody who believes in such supernatural activity, but as somebody who relies on logic and palpable evidence to build upon my knowledge and get through life, I just can't see it, despite the number of ghost and supernatural books I've read.

I would give more credibility to bigfoot like creatures than I would to ghosts and hauntings.  At least we know for a fact that animals exist, I suppose there isn't anything so far to disprove that there might be an animal intermediate between ape and human roaming the forests of the northwests or the mountains of Tibet or wherever these things supposedly live.  I don't believe in those, either, but I'd have to give the possibility of their existence more credibility.

I know this is a very old thread but I am new to this site and have been perusing slowly through.  The name of the outfit overseeing Dudleytown is The Dark Entry Association.  A poster above mentioned that that sounds creepy.   Dark Entry is in fact the old name for the lower-elevation area of the mountain that Dudleytown is on, so named for its very dense hardwood tree cover.  The Association is dedicated to keeping the area free of vandals, large tourist groups disrespecting the place, busfuls of middle-aged ghosthunters and so forth.  Some of the Association is made up of descendants of original landowners in and around Dudleytown, including members of my own family.

Dark Entry and Dudleytown itself are important natural areas.  I have spent a lifetime exploring on that mountain - it's a treasure of wildlife and peace, and that's what the locals are seeking to preserve.  There is nothing remotely ghostly there, and I am a believer.  No structures whatsoever remain, but cellarholes with their native stone foundations are still here and there.  The woods are exceptionally thick, with maple, ash and oak, but there is nothing sinister or preturnatural at all. 

The truth of what happened to the settlement of Dudleytown is considerably less glamorous than the legends.  The people who went up there to live wanted to have their own settlement up away from the local village.   The soil up there is rocky and thin, farming and growing food went poorly, and the winters to this day are long and brutal.   Illnesses such as scarlet fever and typhus swept through the little population, and they were ill-equipped to handle or survive them.  Several of my family members have old physician's notes and documents detailing the course of their fates.

Eventually those who were left realized the impracticality of life up there and came back down to the village below.   

Dudleytown used to be there for anyone who wished to walk and enjoy it, even though it is privately owned.  It is not a state park but a privately owned piece of personal property.  The families who share ownership of it allowed people to come and go freely for decades.  But as the ghost stories and legends gained currency it became overrun with people who seemed to have no regard for the area, and so now it is totally off-limits. 

I love a good ghost story as much as the next person but there are none to be had at Dudleytown.  It's just a beautiful wooded mountain with a few old cellarholes, that's all.

Amen. I believe in ghosts too, but sometimes places just aren't haunted.
I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

http://adventureswithmeg.weebly.com
http://meganmcgory.smugmug.com
http://meganmcgory.com

Yes, I have hiked through Dark Entry Road and all through there.  We found old foundations and things like that.  We took lots of pictures.  Nothing weird on them, and nothing strange happened.  It was extremely quiet in those woods, you could hear a pin drop.  Just as we had heard, we saw no sign of any life out there, no birds, or squirrels, nothing.  It was strange.  Haunted?  Who knows.  Someone on this site posted that Dudley Town could not possible be haunted, since ghosts do not exist.  Well, I can not say what they are, but I can tell you that back in 1990 I lived in an apartment that had strange occurences.  Water faucets turned on by themselves when no one was in the bathroom.  Lights would turn on by themselves.  It wasn't the wireing as the switch had been flipped up.  On night as we were in bed just starting to fall asleep, the stereo came on full blast and changed stations until it stopped on one that came in clear. A potted plant went flying off the refrigerator, a dark shadow passed by our second floor window as we lay in beed trying to sleep.  I had one episode of sleep paraylsis.  One morning we awoke to find the dirty dishes in the sink cleaned and put away.  Glowing mist was spotted moving from one side of the room to the other one night.  My neighbor nervously joked she saw people coming through the walls.  When I pressed her for more she just wanted to drop the subject.  I had never had freak occurences happen to me like that in my life. Once or twice could be explained away. But the occurences I've listed here are just a few of the many that happened. Far too many to explain away.  After a while the odds just don't support a logical explaination anymore. Thats when you have to face the facts. Was this all the result of spirits of deceased people?  I don't know.  I assume nothing.  But these things in fact happened, and would indicate that it has intelligence, as it knew how to operate the stereo.  Demons?  Who knows.  All I can say for sure, is that there really is more around us that we do not see, and that science has no answer for.  So as for Dudley, I can't say for sure if its haunted, its a strange place for sure, but its a possibility.

I have been to Dudley Town CT 34 yrs ago. A group of us went at night, 9 of us 5 flash lights and a gentleman from the Bridgeport Post News. As we started down the path 20-30 mins into the woods. All of our batteries in our flash lights started going dim the flash on the newsman's camera wouldn't work. I was ever so glad when someone made the decission to head back to the vehicles. The feeling of being watched was with us the whole way. Now as nothing bad really happened to us, it scared me enough to never want to go back.

Quote from: dudemcrude on January 26, 2005, 05:56:10 PM

There isn't any evidence at all to show humans contain 'spirits' or souls', so while I suppose it's possible that ghosts exist, I'm really curious where exactly they come from.  

Actually, there is some evidence that humans contain some form of a soul. Scientists have taken people at the end of their lives and put them into completely sealed "bubbles" where the table is actually a scale. When they die, they lose weight- an a very small amount but weight none-the-less. Scientists have no explanation for it other than its the soul leaving the body. I wish i could find the article on it...
Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.