train tunnel

Started by curr, March 11, 2004, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
the providence train tunnel has been welded shut/some pretty beefy welds, a lock, and a metal bar/if anyone gets a look at this and has an idea on how to get in ,let me know, i never got to check it out

on the river side there is totally a door. or there was as of september.
also, check out  the bridge, it is not very hard and definitly a good climb, with a sick view as a reward. might want to do that at dusk/dawn or dark though, since it isn't the most subtle object in the region.  personally, i like the bridge more than the tunnel.
also, don't die. if you trust the railroad ties to hold your weight on the way up it is a distinct possibility that you will since some of them are quite rotted and burned.

thanks/do you mean by eastside market because thats the only way i know/i dont know where the other end is/as far as the bridge, i think i`ll fall off, im terrified of heights

As of february door was open just be careful no one shuts and locks it behind you. entrance on the side near the bridge, the other is welded and probably the one your thinking of.  
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

hahaha, damn man, i had that same thought when i went in there. also, it would suck if someone was waiting in there to mug you, it would be really easy to ambush the dude holding the only light in the tunnel.
i suppose it would be unlikely that someone would just sit in there waiting for suckers to come along.

i  have no idea where the eastside market is, but you can walk behind a supermarket which could be it to get to the tracks that run through the tunnel/up the bridge and it isn't rocket science to find it from there.  

It is closed on both sides now.
Off of North Main Street, downtown, it is welded, and off of Gano St. the tunnel is barred off.

Sucks, I was going to do an experiment for my microbes class in there. I came home for spring break this week with 5 petri dishes and was planning to figure out what kind of life thrives in such a desolate and unforgiving locale.

My crew and I tried 4 or 5 times at "Operation Double Penetration" to get the Downtown door open. Our last trip in there, two weeks ago, resulted in two small holes in the downtown door- Ill give anyone who spots them a prize.

We brought power tools in there, and had guards outside. They plugged an extension cord into an outlet outside Checkers Pizza on Benefit St, right above the door, and fed it into us through a hole in the wall.

We tried 4 or 5 different power tools, and barely succeeded in denting the weld from the inside. It took us about an hour and a half to drill two holes in the door, with which we had planned to install a lock.  Each one of us would have then had a copy of the key.

After our flashlight died, we had to walk the tunnel in the dark at 3 am. It sucked.  Now that the Gano St door has been shut and locked, we have an easier target to try and open, and we will this weekend. It shouldnt be too hard- a lot easier than the downtown side. I will update you. I now see just how dick it would have been for us to open the downtown door and then lock it.

Also, about that train bridge- in october a bunch of us tied a rope to the top, and swung across to the East Providence Side, it was amazing.

My boy Cris got stuck, unfortunatly, when he didnt quite make it across. It took us 5 hours and a canoe to get him down. He had to cut the rope and drop into our boat at 9 PM after hanging inbetween the two side, right above the water, for 5 hours.

Our antics often end in failure, it is true. But we learn!

-Than

Jolly Rogers in Da House.  :D  
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

5 HOURS????  A dead flashlight??  Sounds like you boys need a few drinks or maybe a training manual!!!!!!   HAHA just kidding! C'mon down to the BLack Forest for a few drinks the whiskey is on me!!!!!    THE SLADE MAN!!! :D  

me and my buddy were going to heat up the welds and then hit them with a sledge hammer, there pretty weak welds it looks like...........wish us luck

They got mini welders the use butane or something those things get HOT heat it up and use a heavy weight hammer.

How did it go?

I'm back up at college, and wont be able to try and open the tunnel for a couple of weeks... but if You did, all the better. Let us know!

not yet, i broke my ankle and dont really want to go on any missions right now, cant really jump or run, soon...

there is an opening on the gano st side of the tunnel, but the benefit st side is still sealed. so its a one way trip, but deffinatly a cool place to check out

The train tunnel is great, but the first hundred or so yards are flooded out. You can easily walk on the top of the tracks though, using sticks for balance. After that hundred yards, it dries out, and it's a great time. It's dark, and damp, so photography isn't too easy in there, but here's some of my shots from the last year or so.

nice photos.. my camera wasnt strong enough to take any good photos, i woulda loved to get a realy powerful flashlight and go back

These are all lit by 3D Maglites. Exposures range from 30 seconds to a minute and 4 seconds.

Quote from: Ademan on May 09, 2011, 01:12:31 AM
These are all lit by 3D Maglites. Exposures range from 30 seconds to a minute and 4 seconds.

nice thats awsome

its totaly open near the old draw bridge. just follow the tracks. bring wadders.
Won't catch me.

Quote from: rikid0384 on May 26, 2011, 08:33:17 PM
its totaly open near the old draw bridge. just follow the tracks. bring wadders.

You don't even need waders. Just walk along the inside wall ledge when you enter. Once you get to the tracks on the right side(facing in), just use one of the many sticks left lying against the wall by other explorers to balance on the rail. It's only flooded for about 150'

Most of the sticks are gone now, I was wondering, are there and tributary tunnels or rooms or anything else other than the actual tunnel and tracks?   

Nope. There's an 8 degree curve towards the far end, but it's flooded out at that point. It's nothing spectacular anyhow.

Is it easy to get through the flooded parts without ending up soaking wet?

I was in Providence a few days ago and went to the train bridge but didn't check out the tunnel because I wasn't sure how flooded it would be with all the rain recently.

the water does slowly drain out, theres actualy a drain just outside, but its so clogged with debris that it doesnt do much. as for sticks i reccomend u find one in the woods people tend to misplace the ones in the tunnel

As long as your eyes aren't closed, you can get in. I've gotten some pretty useless people in there

Quote from: Ademan on May 27, 2011, 06:46:54 PM
As long as your eyes aren't closed, you can get in. I've gotten some pretty useless people in there

hahaha wen i went, one kid fell in it was funny as hell the water is crystal clear. just has shopping carts and crates and shyt in it

I've watched many people fall in. My foot has gone in up to my knee a few times, but that's only because I give my sticks to other people, and balance my way across the rail.

:huh:  I don't get it. 
Are these old photographs?  Or are you saying that somebody found a way to smash or
de-weld the door on the bridge side of the tunnel 2010/ 2011?

I've been to that door several times (I lived only a few blocks
away from it) and you would need an arc-welder or dynamite to open it. 

It's been open for over 2 years now.

Quote from: waxycap on February 27, 2012, 02:50:54 PM
:huh:  I don't get it. 
Are these old photographs?  Or are you saying that somebody found a way to smash or
de-weld the door on the bridge side of the tunnel 2010/ 2011?

I've been to that door several times (I lived only a few blocks
away from it) and you would need an arc-welder or dynamite to open it.

ya dude. go to the gano st side and try again.