Disposable History

Started by Photohunter, October 08, 2004, 07:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 08, 2004, 07:16:44 AM Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 12:14:05 PM by Andrew
It makes my head spin how many grand, historic structures are scheduled for demolition.
These buildings should be scheduled for restoration and reuse.
I am getting really sick of this attitude that unless it was built by Frank Lloyd Wright then it is  not worth saving. Once these buildings are gone we are never going to see anything like them again in this country.
In Europe there is a historical building on every corner. Buildings that date back long before this country existed. They have been restored and are utilized and appreciated every day. Golf courses and shopping malls are going to be our legacy. In 100 years is anyone going to rally to save a Wallmart?
National trust organizations and historical societies are all full of shit. They consist of elite society that only cares about expanding their status, not preserving history. They should not be trusted with such an important task. A building built before my grandfather was born falling without consideration is proof of that.
The generations before us are the reason we are here. Why is it so easy for people to just throw away what they have done?
Abandoned locations can hide but they can't run

it would cost an insane amount of money to rebuild these places.  They are so far out of code its rediculous

the cost is astronomical for sure but a few structures would be worth it. many things get  money and grants to restore why not an old kirkbride. its to bad we piss so much money away on other crap

nut

I agree , and it saddens me when i go into these old asylums and hospitals, they just packed up and left with not a care to what would become of these  beautiful buildings. As my friend  John would say..."left to rot"  Through our explorations and photos at least we can preserve some history, at least in our minds and writings, and pass that much on to our children. I  really enjoyed coming to mass and seeeing the beautiful  buildings, and im glad to see some were preserved, its a shame that it costs so much to restore these grand places, even if it would be for offices, or libraries or whatever. It is cheaper to build something new,something that is not pleasing to the eye, but we are losing so much of our history. And to all the assholes that go in these places and tag and break windows, please stop...lets enjoy them as long as we can. Tomorrow they may be gone.

Well said my friend. :)  

Quoteits to bad we piss so much money away on other crap.

You got that right.

It is a shame how we lose history. I live in Staten Island and it's amazing to see old photos of it from the early 1900's. So many beautiful buildings. Now it's packed with shitty little houses everywhere competing for diminishing amounts of real estate.

I would be disappointed in seeing them being renovated, however. I just hope they leave them alone so I can take pictures of them/film in them :D

Have you ever been to North Brother Island?

Sorry if this wasn't directed towards me, but no - I haven't been there. I'm relatively new in my explorations.

October 14, 2004, 08:33:50 AM #9 Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 06:44:03 PM by Andrew
Yeah, sorry I should have been more specific. That was intended for you.
You should consider doing some research about North Brother Island. I don't know much about it but from what I have seen the hospital buildings are menacing and the history is thick. As you may know it was the home of "Typhoid Mary". it was a quarantine hospital in the early 1900's and many sick people were basically imprisoned there and most died there.
I can imagine that because of it's location there is minimal vandalism. If I lived as close as you do I would probably visit on a regular basis. I will try to add links to this post as I find info.

Found one.
North Brother Island

Wow, looks fantastic. Thanks for the link. I'll definitely be checking that out. Hopefully I'll be able to find it through people I know.

Nort' Brodda island. you'd need a boat to get to (obvious, I know), The reason it's just decaying like that without much vandalism is because so few people in this city have or have access to boats.

Got to be careful where you hide that boat though - NYPD harbor patrol has a base not far away at Randalls Island, and are generally pretty bored.  

How far is it from shore to shore?

October 15, 2004, 02:41:51 PM #13 Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 09:53:56 PM by skully
Looks like this could be done in a kayak. It could easily be hidden after getting on the island.
Would there be a problem walking through the Bronx with a kayak? :D

It depends where you go in - I know some kayakers used to go in at the very southern tip of the bornx, but for some odd reason were stopped by police recently (it is technically private property where they were). Apparently there's some good dead end streets nearby though that could be used. It's been awhile since I've been in that area.

A year or 3 ago, a bunch of kids tried to use some crappy little boat they somehow got and leave from City Island, at night. The boat took on water and despite a 911 cell call, they all died.

There was also much bigger boat disaster in the waters near there around or before the turn of the century (1900), where a boat  caught fire and something like 100 people were killed. The name of the boat was something like ht e'general solcrum'. I forget the exact spelling offhand.

On the queens side, there's not really anywhere to launch a kayak. big power plant, sewage plant, and fenced in area around the bridge to Rikers island black off land/water access. The  closest you could get would be astoria park, which is along 'hell gate' - the waterway between randals and queens. The currents there are extremely bad, lots of whirlpooling water. Easy way to get yourself into a big mess at the least.

Bronx is your best bet. most streets along the water are pretty quiet and industrial. Probably hookers at night, but that's about it crime wise.

Thanks.

My sister in law lives in Astoria and we visit frequently.  I am probably going to give this a shot in the near future.

Fan-tastic. Good luck. Shit, if I had a kayak... maybe I can wrangle my friend with the boat to come out. there's a rotted old pier that might be suitable for hiding such a thing

Ass-toria. I grew up there. Hell, if you're going to be around town with some extra time, drop me a line  - control@ltvsquad.com

Definitely.
You guys have seen a lot of shit and taken some cool pics.

QuoteA year or 3 ago, a bunch of kids tried to use some crappy little boat they somehow got and leave from City Island, at night. The boat took on water and despite a 911 cell call, they all died.
Wow, that sucks.  
It sounds like a good night out:  Get a good boat, some hookers, party favors, life vests and away we go.  

I watched that special on Typhoid MAry on Nova.  Pretty good program.  
Explore, Archive, Share

It sounds like a good night out:  Get a good boat, some hookers, party favors, life vests and away we go.  

LMFAO!

QuoteI watched that special on Typhoid MAry on Nova.  Pretty good program.
I saw that too.
Pretty fucked up.

Hey, too young to drive and park somewhere with a girl, so why not steal a row boat? It's almost like a waterbed!

Any time any of ya'all are in this hood, just let me know.

-Control

Wasn't North Brother Island covered by the folks from Forgotten New York?

www.forgotten-ny.com