Tranquility Bay

Started by skully, September 26, 2004, 08:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Based on a comment in another thread from Tex-Murph, does anyone else have info on Tranquility Bay?  What kinds of modern-day abuses are occuring here?  I don't know about you guys but if my parents arranged me to be taken away for "behavior modification", I'd be pissed.

Couple links to start:
Tranquillity Bay
http://www.orwelltoday.com/tranquility.shtml
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/st...%2C00.html?=rss
Explore, Archive, Share

I'll just go by what I remember back when I was reading up on this. I forget where there this is, but there is an organization that is fighting to end their program. They're accepting donations.

Anyway, one nasty story was of a girl who committed suicide by jumping off one of their buildings. As they were cleaning up the mess they used some towels, and apparently some of the kids had to use the (uncleaned) bloody towels afterwards.

One form of punishment they administer is to pin the kid to the floor and grind them into the floor (I forget the details). Either way, a girl had injured her left leg and was very sensitive to it. Before her punishment she asked them to go easy on her leg, and the asshole put extra pressure on her left leg as a result.

Sometimes they invite the parents to visit if they wish, which involves a lot of cleaning up. Everything is made spotlessly clean, the staff is cheery, and the kids are threatened with serious punishment if they give up what's going on.

The reasons the parents send the kids can be ludicrous. One father didn't believe in therapists/medication and just figured this would be a better alternative. One mother just felt like she and her daughter weren't communicating anymore - the kid wasn't really doing anything wrong.

The method they bring the kid to their ground is horrible. The parents arrange for a team to come at night and forcibly take the completely dazed kid out of bed and sent on a plane. Your own personal SWAT team.

On a forum I went to (forums.somethingawful.com) I talked to someone who actually survived the camp. He said he disowned his parents coming home and slept in his car for a few years.

It doesn't seem to be the case now, but in the past they were the first site you'd get on Google if you searched for "Troubled teen".

I have seen enough abuse towards people right in my own area.
NO commment!

wow......that camp is just horible....ever see that movie "Holes" where the kids are forced to dig a hole a day, that place seems nicer    

i hope someone stops/regulates what goes on there

QuoteI'll just go by what I remember back when I was reading up on this. I forget where there this is, but there is an organization that is fighting to end their program. They're accepting donations.

Anyway, one nasty story was of a girl who committed suicide by jumping off one of their buildings. As they were cleaning up the mess they used some towels, and apparently some of the kids had to use the (uncleaned) bloody towels afterwards.

One form of punishment they administer is to pin the kid to the floor and grind them into the floor (I forget the details). Either way, a girl had injured her left leg and was very sensitive to it. Before her punishment she asked them to go easy on her leg, and the asshole put extra pressure on her left leg as a result.

Sometimes they invite the parents to visit if they wish, which involves a lot of cleaning up. Everything is made spotlessly clean, the staff is cheery, and the kids are threatened with serious punishment if they give up what's going on.

The reasons the parents send the kids can be ludicrous. One father didn't believe in therapists/medication and just figured this would be a better alternative. One mother just felt like she and her daughter weren't communicating anymore - the kid wasn't really doing anything wrong.

The method they bring the kid to their ground is horrible. The parents arrange for a team to come at night and forcibly take the completely dazed kid out of bed and sent on a plane. Your own personal SWAT team.

On a forum I went to (forums.somethingawful.com) I talked to someone who actually survived the camp. He said he disowned his parents coming home and slept in his car for a few years.

It doesn't seem to be the case now, but in the past they were the first site you'd get on Google if you searched for "Troubled teen".
Sup fellow goon :) what's your name on SA, i'm DEFCON5 i'm mainly in AI though

September 28, 2004, 12:31:34 AM #5 Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 12:31:51 AM by Tex-Murph
hehe sup

"Tex-Murph" on SA too.

I go in spurts. I haven't gone much all year, but I posted so much last year I still have a 1 post per day ratio (and I registered on March '01!). These days I frequent the film discussion area. Sometimes the games forum too.

GBS is horrible. FYAD is great in small doses.