Author Topic: camp myles standish  (Read 42236 times)

Offline Pierre

• Lurker-Tourist
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
Re: camp myles standish
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 03:53:48 AM »
Hi All -
I grew up in the area and have some personal knowledge of the camp and school.
My Grandfather was an Engineer (train driver) for the Boston-New Haven Railroad.  He actually piloted troop trains from Camp Miles Standish to Boston where they were loaded onto ships headed to Europe.  He didn't talk about it much - pretty routine I guess.  As a child in the late 50s & early 60s my father would take us through the area when we were out for "rides" - sometimes we would stop and see the pigs that were quartered in some of the run down wooden barracks that were still standing - that's right - live pigs.  Back in those days, all the towns around had piggeries where edible garbage was "processed".  In the late 70s, I worked as a Psychiatric Social Worker for the Mass DMH. I worked out of an outpatient facility in Brockton but would often be required to visit adult psychiatric patients at both Foxboro SH and Taunton SH. Neither of these were directly connected to the Dever School which was mainly for children and the severely retarded. I had occasion to visit Dever but had no official capacity there. One of the saddest things you ever want to see! Human warehouse.  Someone mentioned Lakeville Hospital. Not related to either Dever or Taunton State - was originally a TB Sanatorium and later morphed into a long term chronic care facility. Never housed mentally ill patients as far as I know. 

Offline e4oscar

• Lurker-Tourist
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 01:14:36 AM »
thanks pierre!  its always nice hearing first hand accounts

insanebeaver

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 01:01:43 PM »
you're correct about lakeville its not as dark as most hospitals but i would recommend the trip its decent sized and fairly underground

treeswoman101

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 01:53:58 AM »
I remember that place. It was a TB hospital

treeswoman101

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 02:11:40 AM »
My Dad was stationed at Camp Myles Standish. He used to take me for ride all through there. He was stationed as an MP. He said it was a pow camp for Italian pow's. There was a cremitory but now all that is standing of it is a chimney and an oven with a door. He said they used to take the bodies and put them in there.  I also remember the theater that was there. I believe it was behind the statue of the Blessed Mother Many that was found in the woods when they was clearing the land. I also worked there in the 70's in building 2. I worked 11 pm to 7 am. In the building i worked it was all men patients. One night i was assigned to ward B.  A was the worse and then it will to D ward which they could do more for themselves. I had 15 patients on my ward and before we started our shift we had to walk down out ward and count out patients and then check the door at the end of the ward to make sure it was locked. { Now please remember as i tell you this there are tunnels that run under all these buildings}. Anyway i went and counted and check my door. Everything was fine so i came to the office and signed in to work. About 3 in the morning i did my check to make sure my ward was ok and to check my door again. Just as i started to go into my ward i heard a bang at the end of my ward. I started waling and counting my patients as i was going. All the guys were in bed and there was a 15 count. When i reached the end of my ward my back door was wide open. I closed it and locked it. I made a double check and everything was secure again. I came back to the front of my ward counting again as i was going into the office to see the head of the building whose name was David. I told him what had happened about the door and he said we needed to take a walk together to check the tunnel to make sure no one was in there. Scared as i was we went to check and never found anyone or any reason why this happened. I do know that these buildings and grounds are very haunted due to all the history of what has happened there. I would really love to get Ghost Hunters from Warick RI to come and check these buildings.  Tell me what you think!! Treeswoman101

Offline Chief

• The Million Dollar Man
  • Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +20/-13
  • Everyone's got a price, everybody's gotta pay
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »
Ghost Hunters kind of suck.  They have that chump Joe Chin, that loser with the stupid forearm tattoos Britt, the ever increasing in size Kris Williams, and that blond girl that looks like Mr Potato Head, not to mention guest losers from time to time that are probably close family and have no knowledge of anything.  Add it up and they can't be trusted to find jack squat.  Theyre just slightly ahead of Ghost Quest in the battle for who sucks less in fake paranormal "teams", and I use the term "teams" very loosely.