Nike Missile silo

Started by g4x4xgeoff, January 16, 2010, 12:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, first posting here, just joined last night. I got a little bit of information from Kabli, awesome guy, and inspired me to post here.

I live in Warren, RI...very old town with lots of gravesites predating  the founding of our nation...the original brown university is here too.

Anyways, in our sister town, Bristol, is rumored to have the remnants of a Cold war Nike missile defense station. It makes sense for there to be one here too, seeing as  the hill faces the Atlantic, and would very easily be one of the best places to launch a protective strike for the mainland. I've personally tried to find this place twice on foot with no luck, always ran out of time.  :angry:

Anyone here heard of it, or up for the challenge of exploring it? I know the two possible locations of it, and can give coordinates if need be, as well as best options to getting there.

Thanks!

from what i've read there were two sites in bristol. One is now owned by Roger Williams University and the other is south of the Brown University museum on a hill. I've never been to the area... is it off-limits to the public or can people hike there without worry? I'm willing to check it out, weekends work best for me.
Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.

Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

January 21, 2010, 09:26:38 AM #3 Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:32:09 AM by Kabli
Excellent site. Each nike site contained three parts designated A, C and L. Site A would be the HQ and administrative, site C was the radar station and would direct the missiles, and site L was the actual missile firing location plus assembly. On http://ed-thelen.org/ it only list C and L. Hence the should be a third location not mentioned. Anyone up for a hike in the woods?

Quote from: Kabli on January 20, 2010, 12:28:33 PM
Thanks!

from what i've read there were two sites in bristol. One is now owned by Roger Williams University and the other is south of the Brown University museum on a hill. I've never been to the area... is it off-limits to the public or can people hike there without worry? I'm willing to check it out, weekends work best for me.

From what i've seen they're both on the same hill, and although they're "private property" one drive down that road and you'd see, if you walked down the steep long lonely hill, it's solid woods for two miles before you even see anything that resembles anything but trees. It'd be hard to be found, unless you make yourself noticed.

Do you know who owns the property? Roger Williams, Brown or someone else?

Quote from: Kabli on January 22, 2010, 09:45:30 AM
Do you know who owns the property? Roger Williams, Brown or someone else?

IF, and i say IF it's owned by anyone other than the US military it's owned by brown as part of the Haffenreffer museum. If there's a lot of material left there, as I've heard, it'd still be owned by the military for protection of their equipment

anyone here get in it yet?

i've walked around those woods alot. i found nothin like a missle silo. alot of people go to this exact area near that museum lookin for ghosts i know a few ppl in bristol that swear the woods south of the museum are haunted. i think they call it witch hill or towerhill rd i forget (i shoulda listened to mr.macky)

Can  you see this on google maps?
'cause then you could get the coordinates and stick 'em in a hiking gps.

the silo magazine has been built over on the campus of the university. there is one building left and i believe it is scheduled to be torn down once the construction is complete. the old radar complex is now a museum that is owned by brown university.
history is always eroding