Other Bunker at Fort Greene / Fisherman’s Memorial Campground.

Started by Growler Gator, August 26, 2009, 12:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello,

I am new here and this is my first post. I thought I was the only person who loved exploring the WWI and WWII bunkers around Narragansett Bay. I didn't think a website like this would exist, but here it is.

As a kid back in the 1980's and 1990's I spent one week every summer with my family at Fisherman's Memorial Campground in Narragansett, RI, and I spent most of that week each year exploring the bunkers left from its former WWII identity, Fort Greene.

Other members here have posted some nice pictures of the main bunker with the long corridor that connects the two emplacements that originally contained the two 16" naval guns. This bunker is easy to find because you can see the two concrete edifices from the outside and it has three entrances, all of which give you access to the main corridor.

However, there is another bunker at Fisherman's that most people do not know about. It is completely contained inside of a hill at the end of a road, at rear of the campground, near where people dig for quahogs. I believe it was Fort Greene's communication bunker, but I'm not sure. It is hard to find because it is much smaller than the main bunker, it only has one entrance, and you can't see any of it from the outside. Even though it is a smaller bunker, I think it is much cooler. It is in much better shape than the main bunker and because most people don't know about it there is very little graffiti. The original doors are still in place and are only opened a crack, enough to squeeze through. The first room on the right has a black and white parquet floor and a ladder with steel rungs that leads to an escape hatch. At the rear of the bunker there is a toilet that is still intact, or was back in the 1990's anyway. I remember the lower levels of the bunker being flooded because it is so close to the water. If you go to the top of the hill you can find the air vent and escape hatch, although it has been welded closed.

I live in VA now, but if I still lived in New England I would go get some pictures for you all to see. Go find this bunker. It was always my favorite.

There are other secret places at Fisherman's too. I remember a manhole entrance with no manhole cover at the rear of the main bunker. I think it went down to a generator room, or a diesel storage tank. I wasn't "allowed" to go down there as a kid.

This book may help you in your bunker exploration efforts, "Defenses of Narragansett Bay in WWII" by Walter K. Schroder.

Link:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9780917012228&ourl=Defenses%2Dof%2DNarragansett%2DBay%2Din%2DWorld%2DWar%2DII%2FWalter%2DK%2DSchroder

P.S.: If you want some real hardcore bunker action, go to Normandy, France and the other WWII battlefields in Europe.

For some reason, every time I walked past the hill bunker's doors, I thought they where completely shut. But it's nice to know you can squeeze in there. I'll have to go check it out next time I go there.

When I was there the door of the commo bunker was always cracked open just enough to squeeze though and it was rusted in place, like it was frozen in time. That was probaly 15 years ago though. They may have found a way to ram it shut with a tractor or truck.

If you do manage to get inside someday I would really like to see pictures of that bunker again.

I hope they didn't. But there is a flimsy fence around the entrance, all of the trees have been cut down and, plus, there is that huge rock in front of the doors (That won't be much of a hassle to get over lol)
I might be heading back in October, so if I do, I'll make sure to take as many pics as I can of it  :)

The smaller bunker was the PSR.  It handled the comms (switchboard), but and also did the calculations needed to accurately fire the gun (plot).  They had to be placed away from the guns since the shock of firing the big 16" guns could damage the equipment.  There is another 16" gun bunker and PSR across the street in the National Guard part of Fort Greene.

You can get it. I would totally say wear headlights because they are the best. Getting into some areas is weird so be on your feet and watch the ground. HOLES!