Author Topic: Small Mill in Richmond  (Read 6312 times)

Offline Tmac02892

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/25758682@N03/
Small Mill in Richmond
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:49:28 PM »
Two weeks back I went to look for an old bottle dump someone told me about.  It was off Rt. 138, on part of it that was abandoned when the road was straightened.  Well, I found the dump, and it was all new junk from the 1970-80s.  I noticed the road branched, and saw a field ahead.  I thought it might have been part of the egg farm ran by an elderly couple that was close by, but upon closer inspection I discovered it was a random field in the woods.  I noticed a bunch of old equipment on the far side of the field, so I checked it out and behold, I found some buildings!
The site was right on a river, and there were three standing buildings.  Another was literally half-fallen down, and the main mill was apparently gone.  One small structure was made of corrugated iron, and had half a car inside it.  It looked like it was used to run part of the mill (seriously).  Another building was raised off the ground and filled with chicken-related feeding devices.  The main building had a stone foundation, and had some machines in it.  It appeared to be a corn mill.  There was a large sluice way leading to the turbine, which was the coolest thing there.  It looked like the entire river might have been diverted down the sluice way at one time. 
It was a small place, but very cool. 

The main building.  Yeah, it's pretty small.

Another outbuilding.  Nice slanted wood.

Inside the main building.  Lots of small machines, nothing extremely cool, though.

A building that is all but gone.

This was weird.  Half a car inside a building (it was build around it).  A metal shaft goes from the engine to a collapsed building.  Maybe it helped run the mill?

View of the old turbine well.  I was standing in the sluice way, where all the water was diverted into the well.

By far my favorite part of the mill, the old turbine.  It just looked...sweet!  I might be developing an obsession of these things.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:57:33 PM by Tmac02892 »
Saving history one photo at a time.

Offline k wilks

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +2/-4
Re: Small Mill in Richmond
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:53:36 PM »
That sounds pretty cool.  I live right near rt. 138 on  rt 2.  i think I know the egg farm your talking about.  I have tomorrow off from work maybe ill go try and find it. 

Offline CarbonCavi

• Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +18/-11
    • MYSPACE!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »
yeah throw some pics up! sounds like an old corn meal grinding mill.
Im lethal from a 2nd gear roll.

Offline Tmac02892

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/25758682@N03/
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »
That sounds pretty cool.  I live right near rt. 138 on  rt 2.  i think I know the egg farm your talking about.  I have tomorrow off from work maybe ill go try and find it. 

You do?  Wow, that's like 3-4 minutes away from me!  Maybe we can go exploring together sometime.
Saving history one photo at a time.

Offline CarbonCavi

• Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +18/-11
    • MYSPACE!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 10:01:52 AM »
def used to grind corn, the slanted wood building is a corn crib.
Im lethal from a 2nd gear roll.