Author Topic: HELL'S GATES: find all info here  (Read 110332 times)

Offline MovingUnit

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
    • Fallout UE
HELL'S GATES: find all info here
« on: May 16, 2004, 10:04:16 PM »
Hey all,
I'm new here...actually I've been lurking around for a while, but I actually had something worth posting.
In West Greenwich, there's a location that I've heard referred to as Hell's Gate, which I've been searching for for over a year.  Today, lo and behold, my girlfriend and I finally found it.  It's a pretty interesting place - a half-burnt down house along with another abandoned structure fairly intact behind it.  There's also the wreckage of a couple cars with bullet holes lying around the property, along with about fifteen laundry baskets (?) lying here and there.  All located in a large clearing about a mile hike into the woods.  We spent about an hour there, and eventually got spooked because we kept hearing clanging noises coming from the treeline behind us.
I took some pictures, which are located at http://photos.yahoo.com/travman342 (along with some other stuff, including some interesting abandoned missions I visited in San Antonio, TX).

My question is, does anyone know the history behind this place?  Any help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:51:03 PM by Megster »

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
Hell's Gate
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 08:25:09 AM »
spacemonkey684,
Awesome pics!  I think I've been to Hell's Gate drunk one night when I was in high school.  Dakiel I think knows more.

I'm surprised that you didn't visit our other favorite vampire while you were out there in West Greenwich.  She's on Old Plain Meeting House Road.

Ciao
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline MovingUnit

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
    • Fallout UE
Hell's Gate
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 12:00:01 AM »
Thank you Skully.

We actually went to visit miss Vaughn before we went to Hell's Gate, but we've both been there so many times that it's just gotten uninteresting.

Well, today, we took another trip out there and I got some more good pics, which I uploaded already to my webpage; check 'em out.  The only downside of the trip was I found TEN friggin' ticks on me when we were driving back home!  

Later.

Offline Ladd Curator

• Out of the Closet
Hell's Gate
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 06:36:30 PM »
Hey all,
I'm new here...actually I've been lurking around for a while, but I actually had something worth posting.
In West Greenwich, there's a location that I've heard referred to as Hell's Gate, which I've been searching for for over a year.  
My question is, does anyone know the history behind this place?  Any help would be much appreciated.
I've heard two rumors surrounding Hell's Gates. One is that the house burned down as a result of witchcraft, and that the forces of Hell twisted the iron gates that once guarded the entrance to the long dirt road. At least one of the gate doors is still around, but you have to look hard for it.

The other is that the house belonged to the mob, and was ruined in a police raid.

There are actually more structures out there in the woods, as well as two historic cemetaries, one of which may be undocumented, though I would have to look further into that.

There are also rumors of witchraft still being practiced there. I have, in fact, found a circle of candles by the well on the third of the three times I've been there.

Ladd Curator

Offline SLADE

• Contributor
Hell's Gate
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 12:18:21 AM »
WELCOME TO INSANEBUNKERS I'M SLADE  :D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 12:47:18 PM by Dakiel »

Offline metalwitch

Hell's Gate
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 04:18:27 PM »
Which Hell's Gate is this forum about?
Never heard of a hells gate in RI, especially  a ritzy neighborhood like West Greenwich of all places! :o

I do know of the Spiders Gate cemetary in Leicester, Mass. Most people think it's in Worcester, but it's not.

Spiders gate is sometimes known as Hell's Gate.

Any clarifications please?

Offline MovingUnit

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
    • Fallout UE
Hell's Gate
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 02:48:52 PM »
<Comes out of hiding...dusts self off>

Well, the Hell's Gate we are talking about is indeed in West Greenwich.

The history of this location is still a mystery to me. I've heard two explanations as to it's origins. One, that the property once belonged to the family of a mob boss, and got abandoned after a tragic shootout with the police. Or two, that it once housed a witch and was burned down by locals. On the property is a large, heavy iron gate that is curiously bent in a way that it would appear no man or machine could have done such work . It is said when the witch was killed, she put a curse on the area and the forces of Hell bent the gate; hence the name Hell's Gate.

I created a page for it over on the uer.ca location database:

http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=21766

Hope this is helpful.

<Goes back into hiding to drink beer and watch Futurama dvd's>

Hell's Gate
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 04:19:40 PM »
Gee I feel like I'm 15 again!!
Another web forum to explore.
I just signed up.

As for the hell's gate in EG.  I have never heard of it. Cool pics tho.
Not to be a smart ass, but have you tried city hall and looked at the land records to see who may have owned it?

Offline metalwitch

Hell's Gate
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 04:21:48 PM »
I just signed up.

Not to be a smart ass, but have you tried city hall and looked at the land records to see who may have owned it?
I forgot to log in again.
I'm not usually so dim-witted! :angry:  

Offline MovingUnit

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
    • Fallout UE
Hell's Gate
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 07:01:20 PM »
I just signed up.

Haha glad I turned you on to another forum; everyone is pretty nice over there.  We'll probably bump into each other sometime - my username is Moving Unit there.

Anyways,  it's ironic you mention looking up land records, because I was considering heading up there tomorrow to do just that.  I'll let you all know how that goes.

There's another location that I'm currently researching as well - a HUGE mill down on the coast of RI that's been abandoned since 1958, and is still pretty much intact.  

Offline metalwitch

Hell's Gate
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2004, 09:34:11 AM »

Haha glad I turned you on to another forum; everyone is pretty nice over there.  We'll probably bump into each other sometime - my username is Moving Unit there.

Anyways,  it's ironic you mention looking up land records, because I was considering heading up there tomorrow to do just that.  I'll let you all know how that goes.

There's another location that I'm currently researching as well - a HUGE mill down on the coast of RI that's been abandoned since 1958, and is still pretty much intact.
I'm waiting for them to approve my membership.
I'll be metalwitch on there as well.

Let me know how it goes for the land records for the Hels Gate.

Offline exploreTHEelements

• Lurker-Tourist
"The Gates of Hell" aka "Hells Gate"
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 04:12:21 AM »
In the exploration of nellys grave you showed a picture of the intersection and labled it as "the gates of hell". But from what i have read the gates of hell are about a half mile before the church and gravesite on your left.  There was a mansion that stood but was burnt down, a mothers son comitted suicide there and then she was murdered, i beleive it was mary brown, not to be confused with mercy brown. I didn't know if this was known by anyone on the board, I just wanted to let you know.

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 07:10:19 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  Yeah, "gates of hell" was just a label for the image.  We know that gates of hell is a reference to another place by locals.  Good catch.

Explore, Archive, Share

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 02:57:47 PM »
have you been? do you know where it is. we tried last night but we couldnt find it..haha i drove i think 55 miles all over that area trying to find it..heh no luck then my friends car died..so we left. and also i had heard about one on purgatory road off of 102 as well, do you know anything about this?

Offline MovingUnit

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
    • Fallout UE
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 12:05:34 AM »
Check your PM's, ixcryxforxyou.

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 02:09:55 AM »
so, we went to hells gates tonight. first we went to nelly's grave which was alright. nothing happened. no one was there. then we were looking for hells gates, but we thought we hadnt found it then we saw two cars and a bunch of kids. so i threw the car into reverse and they all hid. but then i asked them what they were doing and where hells gates were and they said right here so we pulled off the road. they had said they went in and got about half way and got chased out by dogs. so the three of us were like riiight and then we talked two of them into going back in. we walked all the way to the house checked it out and then went back. nothing happened to us. according to the kid that was with us he could "feel" something around him and another one of us said she could hear footsteps? but nothing happened like the storys we had heard. so we got back got into the car and left because the cops had shown up while we were out there. If anyone has gone and has had any experiences let me know. always want to hear what goes on out there.

Offline metalwitch

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 03:01:13 PM »
have you been? do you know where it is. we tried last night but we couldnt find it..haha i drove i think 55 miles all over that area trying to find it..heh no luck then my friends car died..so we left. and also i had heard about one on purgatory road off of 102 as well, do you know anything about this?
Just an FYI for you-- we don't post actual directions or addresses here, since it is a public forum.

I suggest private messaging someone for info.
MW

Megan

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 09:25:29 PM »
I've been to Hell's Gates lots of times, but haven't gone in about 5 years.  My friend and I tried going about a year ago but while we were walking down the road we saw some guy far ahead of us and we booked.  Those of you who know where Hell's Gates are, don't park in front of the entrance--cops patrol the place all the time.  I know it's a long walk already, but you *really* have to park farther away.

Offline Megster

• Crazy Cat Lady of IB
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +15/-3
Hell's Gate
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 10:06:55 PM »

Me too.  The last time I went there I was 15...lol.  It's good to see that it hasn't changed much.

Spacemonkey--did you ever find anything?
I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

http://adventureswithmeg.weebly.com
http://meganmcgory.smugmug.com
http://meganmcgory.com

Offline MovingUnit

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
    • Fallout UE
Hell's Gate
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2004, 06:22:42 PM »
I still haven't been to look up the land records on it, been too busy with work, social life and exploring.  I figure some rainy day soon I'll head up to the library or town hall there.

Offline metalwitch

Hell's Gate
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2004, 06:32:03 PM »
I still haven't been to look up the land records on it, been too busy with work, social life and exploring.  I figure some rainy day soon I'll head up to the library or town hall there.
Ya know if I lived closer, I would do it for ya!
Where the hell was IB when I lived in RHODE ISLAND?????

Offline dan0oo

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 03:07:22 PM »
is there any info on the web about this place?  I havent been able to find much, just this here, and a cursory mention on RIP's message archives.

thanks,
dan

Offline Megster

• Crazy Cat Lady of IB
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2005, 11:38:51 AM »
There's another topic about Hell's Gates on this message board that has more details.
I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

Offline dan0oo

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2005, 02:25:49 PM »
I looked around but was unable to find it, do you happen to know the title?

Offline Megster

• Crazy Cat Lady of IB
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2005, 06:43:58 PM »
In the specific category there's a picture of Hell's Gates

Specific/ Mills and Farms/ Hell's Gate (started by Spacemonkey684)

And I thought that was the one I was referring to, but the topic that has a lot of details about the place is in the General Topics category and I don't blame you for not having found it (my fault).

General Topics/ Urban Exploration/ Hi I'm new here too (that's a topic I started)

Offline dan0oo

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2005, 07:01:23 PM »
thank you.

Offline XxCieloxX

• Out of the Closet
Hells Gate
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2006, 08:42:37 PM »
Hey.. I've heard about a place called Hells Gate but I'm not sure of the actual location  :huh:.. I've narrowed it down to two places and I know you're not supposed to give exact locations on here.. but if you've heard of this place could you give me information on what it is exactly.. and is it in Exeter/West Greenwich near Nellie's Grave?

Thanks!
It's always raining in my head

Offline metalwitch

Re: Hells Gate
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 11:45:04 PM »
It's a figment of your imagination.

Offline XxCieloxX

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006, 02:19:28 PM »
Oh okay haha.. I wasn't sure.. I've only heard two stories about it that could actually sound real.. So I guess I'll give up on finding it.. haha

Thanks
It's always raining in my head

Offline metalwitch

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2006, 02:02:21 AM »
You might want to try looking in the Mills and Farms topic or using the search button.

Admin-the search button should be a requirement for all newbies.