Author Topic: Fort Getty  (Read 46791 times)

Offline Tmac02892

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/25758682@N03/
Fort Getty
« on: June 29, 2008, 04:07:08 PM »
I didn't see a topic on Fort Getty, so I decided to fix that problem.  There are two batteries there, Battery Whiting and Battery Tousard.  Battery Whiting was in service from 1910-1942, when it was closed and the new Battery Whiting was build at Beavertail.  Battery Tousard was also in use from 1901-1942.  Battery Whiting is rather small, having two rooms easily visible, and two smaller areas underneath each staircase.  There is also a tunnel around both rooms.  There were two light artillery guns on top of the battery.  If you face the battery from the road, there is another structure just to the left of the battery.  I'm not sure what it's called, but it has a roof and a filled in bunker entrance (these structures seem fairly common). 
Battery Tousard was much more interesting than I expected.  It is clearly visible from the camp road (oh, you do have to pay to get in, but I told the guard I just wanted to take some photos, so he let me pass).  There is a building in front of it that is now bathrooms, but it looks like it could date to WWII.  There are two ways into the bunkers.  The "easy" way is very visible and goes into a junk-filled room.  From there you can enter the high-ceilinged tunnels.  They go on for quite a ways, twisting and turning.  They split, and each way comes out at the same place- the main bunkers.  The "hard", or aka less convenient way is to the right of the easy entrance.  You need to crawl along the wall to your right and you will eventually see two doors you can slip inside.   They put you in the main bunker rooms right away.  There are five rooms, the "hard" entrance room has minimal graffiti and some metal propane-barrel like objects in it.  From there you enter a hallway.  On your left is a sealed off entrance that would lead outside, and on the right is the filled in main entrance to the bunkers.  You can climb up the dirt pile, and it looks like an easy dig to the outdoors.  If you faced the sealed entrance there is a small room to your right with bedsprings in it. Going straight there is a main hallway of sorts.  A few steps down to your right are the tunnel exits from the easy entrance, and passing them you enter a larger room.  If you went straight down the hallway, there would be a room on your right at the end.  Someone broke most of the ceiling tiles. 
My flashlight was pitifully dim, but I took some pics blindly that you can see on Flickr. 
If you go on top of the battery, you can see that it goes much further than the tunnels that are accessible.  I did miss one tunnel, it is right next to the filled in main entrance, so maybe that goes to the rest of the rooms!  Next time...

The hard way into the bunkers:

The long tunnels with tall ceilings:

Sealed main entrance:

Room with broken tiles:

Saving history one photo at a time.

insanebeaver

Re: Fort Getty
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 06:45:14 PM »
nice pics! u think it was worth goin? big area?

Offline Tmac02892

• Contributor
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/25758682@N03/
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 05:22:37 PM »

It's small compared to say, Wetherill, but in better condition.  I walked the top of the fort, and I think it goes maybe twice as far as I went.  It's worth a look if you're willing to smooth talk your way past the camp guard (he seemed fine with me checking it out), just bring a mask for mold.
Saving history one photo at a time.

Offline mista.v

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-5
  • Mr. Wise Wang
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 07:56:30 PM »
Yeah, those tunnels are really fun, and even though it's smaller, I think it's a lot more fun than Wetherill.
Isn't much of anything in the way of old equipment or anything, but it's worth an afternoon.

Offline mista.v

• Contributor
  • Mr. Wise Wang
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 06:29:06 PM »

It's small compared to say, Wetherill, but in better condition.  I walked the top of the fort, and I think it goes maybe twice as far as I went.  It's worth a look if you're willing to smooth talk your way past the camp guard (he seemed fine with me checking it out), just bring a mask for mold.
The guard is only there to make sure people pay for camping.

Offline JiggyJamesG

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 06:57:26 PM »
Me and my friend went there like a month or so ago, and  its pretty cool in there, you gotta keep your eyes open for those hooks on the wall tho lol, and theres strategecally placed rocks where theres water for stepping on, but deffinatly bring a mask, i was sick for a couple days after we went with cold symptoms
WWW.accordingtojiggy.blogspot.com

Offline omnipotence

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 02:50:05 PM »
I liked this bunker better then weathril since it is less well known, at least the inside.  A lot of tourists go there and dont know about the entrence inside

Offline JiggyJamesG

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »
I liked this bunker better then weathril since it is less well known, at least the inside.  A lot of tourists go there and dont know about the entrence inside
Kinda like the first time we drove by, with chickenfoot lmao

Offline CarbonCavi

• Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +18/-11
    • MYSPACE!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:21:44 AM »
i went there once and checked this place out a little bit, but that was like 5 years ago. id be down to hit it up again on a nice day.
Im lethal from a 2nd gear roll.

Offline JiggyJamesG

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 02:29:27 PM »
I wouldnt mind goin back, but imma bring at least a painters mask next time

Offline omnipotence

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 10:28:26 PM »
im down to go again, i didnt get very good photos of that place

Offline omnipotence

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 11:30:30 PM »

I take this back now that i saw the other half of wethril that is pretty much untouched by vandalism compared to the regular weathril

Offline k wilks

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +2/-4
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 12:14:48 AM »
The only parts that I've seen are all tagged up and I've explored it pretty extensivly.  What part are you talking about?

Offline omnipotence

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 12:20:25 AM »
There are two main buildings that i know of, idk if there is a third there was a time i only thought there was one so i could be in for a surprise but i doubt it lol  Have you been to the building with ladders and storage rooms inside that still have stuf inside?  Its walls are pretty much bear, Jiggy has the pics on his camara of the place and once he gets back from florida hes gonna put em up from when we went.  The second building is east a mile or two away from the tagged up wethril.  check it out on a map

Offline Otto MCR

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »
Are you saying that there is more of Wetherill and Getty? Any pictures and directions or info would be nice.

Offline omnipotence

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 12:46:26 PM »
No im saying there are two places at wethril, the main place and a smaller one off to the side, go look around and explore till you find it.  Youll know you find it if you find a place with ladders and a room in the downstairs with spools of rope

Offline Otto MCR

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 01:23:51 PM »
I think I saw it. Is it to the left?

Offline k wilks

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 07:55:16 PM »
ive been up the hill and in some building to lhe left over twords the cliffs, but its all tagged up so I dont really inderstand where your talking about

Offline omnipotence

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 08:08:29 PM »
was it like a small one room type deal that had a purple glass ceiling? cause thats not what im talking about

Offline k wilks

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 02:05:17 PM »
small one room yes but no glass ceiling.   PM me

Offline JiggyJamesG

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 01:26:14 PM »
I gotta go buy another cord for that shitty camera unless we go back with my new camera. Deffinatly more interesting tho, just about no graphiti and there still shit in there.

Offline Az17

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 01:55:03 AM »
Very nice photos, I'll have to get over there to see this.

Offline Az17

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 08:40:03 AM »
Well, I didn't go into the fort but can see how you'd get in.

Photos taken 6am 5/11/10

Offline french125

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 01:58:42 PM »
Iv been deep inside ft. getty you can spend houres underground. I wouldent go alone tho. Its HUGE

insanebeaver

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 01:33:44 AM »
I've heard  to get in certain areas u gatta crawl in very small spaces. How big exactly would you say the "hardest" spots to get through are. I'm thinking of going with a couple of friends i highly doubt i'd have a problem fitting through but i wish i  could say the same for the ppl im wanting to go with (i just dont wanna say lets go n have them wait outside due to not fitting)
crisco maybe? lol

Offline Dakiel

• Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +7/-1
    • http://www.insanebunkers.com
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 08:26:14 AM »
Im about 280 in this shot its tight but if your determined you can get through. granted this was 8 years ago so the interior tunnels may have changed.
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

Offline french125

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 09:08:14 AM »
the pic above has a pic of a holl cut throught he wall if you go through there it leads to the holl fort its all underground and wet

insanebeaver

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 02:43:38 PM »
Sweetness nice oldskool pic from the archive  ∞

Offline Az17

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »
So, I happened to meet this girl that was into a lot of the same things I'm into including UE. As our first date I decided to bring her to Getty since she had never been and we ended up exploring the underground section. It was quite a bit bigger than I had expected it to be. We went in through the cut in the wall, down the narrow tunnel and arrived in this hallway with many rooms on the sides. You could just crawl directly to your right upon entering that area and it'll bring you to the same place. There was another tunnel system I didn't get to go down because I didn't want wet feet. Maybe I'll go back with flood boots at some point.

I'd bring a friend and a flashlight. All I had at the time was my phone and camera which kind of worked but was still a pain in the ass.

Offline mista.v

• Contributor
  • Mr. Wise Wang
    • Flickr
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
How deep in have you guys gone? I've gone through those narrow tunnels and some of the rooms off of them, but never found anything horribly interesting the times I've been there. Seems like the tunnels go in concentric circles to identical floors but I dunno. I've only been in there with big groups of people so there wasn't much actual exploring opportunity.