Cumberland and the Sneech Pond Copper Mine

Started by Tendonitis, July 10, 2010, 08:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey everyone, I'm new to the Urban Exploration culture, very new. last night i found an art photographer who specialized in abandon buildings all over europe, and accidentally stumbled on UE, I've been reading about it for hours.
I've lived all over the States. in Lebanon, NH there is an abandoned train yard with some dilapitated and beautifully epic buildings. In nearly the center of downtown Dallas is a well guarded high school that is enormous and ancient. Surounding Santa Fe out in the desert are great silos and hundreds of empty shacks beside the highways.
Through all of those places and my pawing fascination, I never knew there was a culture of people who shared my interest! although, i never looked hard enough for one.
Anyway, im back in my town of birth, good ol' Cumberland, RI and now that im in the smallest town, im looking into UE. So, i read one forum entry about Sneech Pond (which is a very funny name) and a copper mine, i found this exta long document that I have to continue going through:
http://www.minsocam.org/ammin/AM22/AM22_279.pdf
and now I was just wondering if anyone had helpful hints for someone in my position, anything helps, thank you!

Welcome to IB forum! First helpful hint for urban exploring: Take only photos, leave only footprints!
Huzzah!!

thanks, that advise is actually what I like most about the hobby as a whole. im not a vandal or a forest partier, i just enjoy the rush of exploring and experimenting with exposures and angles. something that i think a lot of us have in common. thanks for the welcome Stealth

Welcome! Good to have a new member on board.

If you decide to go, be very careful in the mine. That train yard you were talking about sounds fantastic! Do you have any pictures?

i had a few, i took my friends band over there to take album photos for them. but i took a few of just the place itself, i'll see what i have and take more next time i go. and supposedly the actual entrance to the mine is closed down now, i dont know if it can be entered. but im hoping there is some nice stuff out there, i found out some great research on it and im going out there to try nd find it today with my girlfriend, wish me luck, i'll update with photos.

Yay! Welcome!

I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

http://adventureswithmeg.weebly.com
http://meganmcgory.smugmug.com
http://meganmcgory.com

could someone PM me and give me advice on how to post pictures and any other helpful hints theyd like to pass on to an eager amateur. i didnt know how to put mine up, but here is a link to another UExplorer that I found that does have pictures of that great train station in New Hampshire:

http://www.neueu.org/gallery/v/newhampshire/westlebanon/trainyard/

velcome to ze board. thats a very nice find i'd just be uber careful around any sorta water in mines or caves. the waters surface tension can hold back gases under the surface. i suppose sumone could get a firefighters type of alarm box thing that'd alert you of low oxygen levels but i dunno if i'd register any other gases

welcome...i'm tryin to make a comeback myself...cops seem to take it more serious when a 29 year old trespasses as opposed to a teenager...wtf!
get me an avocado, an ice pick, and my snorkel

Quote from: insanebeaver on July 14, 2010, 02:40:01 PM
velcome to ze board. thats a very nice find i'd just be uber careful around any sorta water in mines or caves. the waters surface tension can hold back gases under the surface. i suppose sumone could get a firefighters type of alarm box thing that'd alert you of low oxygen levels but i dunno if i'd register any other gases

Back yonder miners would take birds with them in cages, if they died or seemed  to be getting ill it was a sign that gases were present in the mine and that it was time to bug out for safety.
Huzzah!!

Its been a long time since there was anything really really new around

Beatkeeper and I were trying to get a group to go find this- we have six or seven so far, and were wondering if anybody would be down for some nice fall hiking/minehunting sometime in the near future.

I'm in.

Quote from: mista.v on September 23, 2010, 09:56:18 PM
Beatkeeper and I were trying to get a group to go find this- we have six or seven so far, and were wondering if anybody would be down for some nice fall hiking/minehunting sometime in the near future.
Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.

count me in too! :D needmy e-mail for contact?
Huzzah!!

Let me know when you guys set a date
get me an avocado, an ice pick, and my snorkel

Any possibility we can assemble this, Saturday? I will be in Cumberland. If not I might splore the area alone.. I kinda feel weird doing it alone, but best comes to best I can lay some intel for a future trip. Anyone let me know, if you want to meet up in Cumberland this Saturday for 12:00 p.m. 1:00 p.m. Private message me for my number. We can negotiate a meeting place in the area and time.

~S.U. (Karl)
Huzzah!!

This weekend is a no-go for me. Work + wedding.
Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.

Can you get in the mine at all? Sounds interesting.

Here's a blurb from an 1891 book, probably a little different these days?

Near " Sneech pond " an ancient mine was apparently sunk for the
purpose of extracting ores of copper, which are found there mixed
with veins of granular magnetic iron ore. The shaft, when measured
some years ago, was twenty to thirty feet wide, but it had been for a
long time filled with water, so that its depth could not be ascertained.
Near the pond occurs a very thick bed of a remarkable ore of manga-
nese, which is peculiar in its composition, but most nearly resembles
the Knebelite of Beudant.

here's a pic of the "shaft" i found online . . is this it?

ah, shit, sorry for not getting back to you all.
My friend's car was in the shop and we never went to the mine. :x
has anybody had success in actually finding something?

I really hope someone found something here, it could be really cool