Author Topic: Beavertail and Battery Whiting  (Read 16263 times)

Offline Tmac02892

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/25758682@N03/
Beavertail and Battery Whiting
« on: June 29, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »
Has anyone explored the installments at Beavertail?  I noticed someone dug their way into Battery Whiting, but I didn't feel up to checking it out with all the tourists and park rangers etc.  There is also a gated off section on your left as you're driving to the second parking lot, and I saw buildings in there.  Any info is appreciated.

Saving history one photo at a time.

Offline mista.v

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-5
  • Mr. Wise Wang
    • Flickr
Re: Beavertail and Battery Whiting
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:58:29 PM »
Has anyone explored the installments at Beavertail?  I noticed someone dug their way into Battery Whiting, but I didn't feel up to checking it out with all the tourists and park rangers etc.  There is also a gated off section on your left as you're driving to the second parking lot, and I saw buildings in there.  Any info is appreciated.
As for the Battery Whiting bit, I'm not sure what's in there, but I know that there's underground rooms for ammo storage (as evidenced  by the blocked-up dumbwaiters and ventilation grilles hidden in the grass).
The other bunkers  around there are just one-room type deals, but there's some pretty sweet-looking electrical stuff in there, though it's just for the lights.

And past the gate?
There's a big Victorian-style summer house that was actually a decoy for bay observation by the Navy. The guy who owns it also owns a network of tunnels underneath the house... he lives in the place so I wouldn't go poking around in there. (you'll notice the huge ham radio towers next to the house...)

I hope that helped....
But hell, what does a 14 year old kid know? XD

Offline JiggyJamesG

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 06:43:29 PM »
hmm, is this right by the rocks near the lighthouse at beavertail, if so i was right by there today with my family, i wanna go back and crawl in for the hell of it
WWW.accordingtojiggy.blogspot.com

Offline omnipotence

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:24:31 PM »
went there tonight, but chickened out cause while i was squeezing threw some kinda animal jumped next to me and my instinct was just get back into the open so i did and then some park rangers rolled up and they were like "so did you get in?" and they seemed friendly so i said "no i got scared cause of a bunny rabbit" and they said it was getting dark so i had to leave

Offline JiggyJamesG

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:01:24 PM »
haha and we were with this huge kid that was just about in, and heard the bunny so he kicked off the wall and came flying out down the little hill. I still laugh thinking about that
WWW.accordingtojiggy.blogspot.com

Offline Kabli

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +2/-0
  • The best way out is always through.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 04:31:53 PM »

I saw some pics on RI Urban Exploration (http://www.freewebs.com/t84880/) that there is a series of bunkers completely underground. Has anyone found this site?
Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.

Offline Dakiel

• Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +7/-1
    • http://www.insanebunkers.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 06:42:42 PM »
RIUE used to post here at some point in the past, as for photos of underground from that site its Fort Burnside, Battery 213. its not near the photo posted.
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

Offline Kabli

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +2/-0
  • The best way out is always through.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 08:38:37 AM »
RIUE used to post here at some point in the past, as for photos of underground from that site its Fort Burnside, Battery 213. its not near the photo posted.

Are they near the massive buried drum along the western edge of the old base?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:24:01 PM by Kabli »
Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.

Offline Az17

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 01:27:27 AM »
So, what is the name of the bunker in the center of the park? You can see it on the drive in if you look past the metal fence on the left hand side. I only have phots from the outside looking in and one spooky video of a rusted door sqeaking back and forth from somewhere inside while I stand at the outside gate.

Offline Az17

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 01:51:18 AM »

Best I can tell is that it's just being used for storage.

Offline boarder50

• Lurker-Tourist
  • I'm the bridge troll
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 06:29:47 PM »
That was ammunition storage, now its used by the Jamestown Fire Department for live burn trainings...

Offline Hazad626

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 02:38:36 PM »
ive been in battery whiting and the large fort in the woods once before they closed them in, same as wetherill except no graffitti. also theres an old coms shed with old ceiling bunker fans in the woods probably boarded off as well. and when headed down to beavertail you may botice on right side of road theres overgrown roads into woods these are remenace of old base as well with old watertower built into ground, alos accessible through beavertail parking, you can find out how to get there dont ask -)