No pain, no gain...getting injured and sick while exploring

Started by Megster, December 19, 2006, 01:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I have strep throat right now (it sucks...a lot....I've been out of work for two days :( )  so it got me thinking...

Have you ever gotten sick/injured from UE?  Like even if you stepped on a rusty nail and had to get a tetanus shot or something...or if you stayed out in the cold too long one day and got sick from it...or fell while getting chased by the cops...

-I know that after being at the InterRoyal Mill Fire in April '05 and inhaling pounds of asbestos in the air, as well as taking pictures the next day in the freezing pouring rain...coupled with working at a daycare...I got sick as hell with like the worst cold of my life. lol
I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

http://adventureswithmeg.weebly.com
http://meganmcgory.smugmug.com
http://meganmcgory.com

i actually stepped on a nail inside of koenig's (art supply manufacturer) but it was no big deal.  other than that, just minor cuts on my hands from rusted railings. 

Upon exiting a dilapidated building at the Belchertown State School once, I felt a bit lightheaded.
I recall that a short time after getting inside, my vision was a bit off - not exactly blurry, but soft, like the effect of a psychedelic.

Odd thing about the basement of that building; there's a gymnasium in what would essentially be the sub-basement, and, of course, locker rooms. The stairs down to this level were hard to find, and it's very, very dark down there, but we kept looking for the way and eventually found it. We never stepped out onto the basketball court; at the foot of the staircase, we took an immediate left through double-doors to enter a locker room. We spent a couple of minutes admiring a spiral staircase and setting up my camera, when my friend pointed something out to me: the words "POISON! KEEP LOCKED" on the double-doors that we had passed through to get here.

We had no idea what that could have meant, to us. So we left.

I also felt a bit queasy at Cranberry Specialty Hospital, but I beleive that to be more temporal than physical. To me, the entire place seems to radiate death. I don't like it there for numerous reasons, not the least of which recounts the time I had a pile of dust (of what sort, I am somewhat afraid to speculate) dumped all over me on a very hot day. It stuck to the skin of my face, neck and arms, adhesed by the summer sweat. The rest of that day didn't get better. Until I left, of course.

It was just short of a miracle that we didn't fall through a hole in the floor on the night we got lost inside the Northampton State Lunatic Asylum, at sunset. With the batteries nearly dead in one of the only two flashlights we had, in near total darkness we carefully stepped around the soft spots. Every door to the outside we came to was locked. Many of the rooms quickly became familiar scenes as we wandered a circular maze of hallways, rooms and stairs, bats swooping from the ceilings. Night had fallen by the time we found our way out.

Fortunately, I don't have any tick-related illnesses, as far I'm aware.

And there have been a few other episodes. But I suppose I've been lucky, so far.

I've never been injured or anything, but what I've done is all pretty tame. I haven't taken any risks since I was 17, but before then, I would check out everything including houses people just moved out of if I was in the neighborhood. I did it plenty of times in an old house of mine before they knocked it down in 1994.

Anyway, even though I never had anything happen to me, I did see something happen to someone once. He was attempting to squeeze in between two buildings to get somewhere and he got stuck. I started laughing my ass off and firefighters had to get him out. I have that memory as clearly as if it was a dream.

I always feel a little lightheaded after leaving Eastern States Steel. Trace scraped her knee once, nothing major though.
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.

I got cut and scraped up like crazy in some woods in coventry. I was on my way to hope dam and what do i see, a doberman comin out of somones back yard i guess. He was movin too. I didn't want to stick around to see if he was friendly, so i made b line towards where the water was and had to go straight through some gnarly pricker bushes and what not. It may not have been that bad movin slow but tryin to do it at damn near full speed is a whole new paint job. Anyway no dog bites so i guess i have been lucky so far.
get me an avocado, an ice pick, and my snorkel

I remember once I swam across some small river once and scraped up my leg & knees on a sharp piece of old granite from a collapsed bridge.

I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

http://adventureswithmeg.weebly.com
http://meganmcgory.smugmug.com
http://meganmcgory.com

running from security at NSH once before I was cool with them I ripped my finger open running down the stairs behind the power house.

I cant remember getting hurt while exploring although while looking for pirates cave in jamestown i came out one of the paths close to where i parked when i came back in my truck 30 seconds later there was a coyote comming out the same path sniffing around thats as close as Ive been to both a coyote and getting hurt exploring
When you go looking for ghosts in these places be sure to be a ghost leave no clues to your existence and dissapear into thin air!!!!

Urbanexplorer 2006

one time my fiance and i decided to explore an abandoned chicken coop. i'm not sure why. anyways on the way back we decided to cut through the woods and it turned out the path to get back to the road was flooded. My fiance decided to be a gentleman and carry me on his back so that only he would get wet up to his knees. as he was wading thru the swampy water my pant leg got caught in a prickerbush and ripped my leg open. it hurt so bad. the scratches turned out to be not so bad after but as i was getting yanked thru that bush they felt pretty bad.
Kristin

Well, I already made a new post, but just found this one.  I explored Ft. Getty a week ago, and the next day I felt like I had a cold.  I felt fine the next day, but I'm thinking of wearing a mask next time I go there.
Saving history one photo at a time.

the same exact thing happened to me the day after me and my friend went through the getty tunnels, but he fealt fine the next day...