Dever vs. Danvers (excuse the temporary blonde moment!)

Started by Megster, August 29, 2006, 08:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a hell of a time trying to keep these two straight.  And is Danvers completely gone?

So...someone tell me the difference and which ones you like better.  For some reason I keep thinking they're in neighboring towns (because I don't know shit about Mass...sorry! and I don't really know where they are hahaha) and I think a lot of other people get them confused too.  And I know I get confused a lot because when anyone brings up either of these, they usually bring up other places in Mass. like the Mass. School for the Feeble Minded and Taunton and others.

Start babbling about these places.  All of you.

I'm not really blonde, I swear.
I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

http://adventureswithmeg.weebly.com
http://meganmcgory.smugmug.com
http://meganmcgory.com

Quote from: Megster on August 29, 2006, 08:01:43 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a hell of a time trying to keep these two straight.  And is Danvers completely gone?

So...someone tell me the difference and which ones you like better.  For some reason I keep thinking they're in neighboring towns (because I don't know shit about Mass...sorry! and I don't really know where they are hahaha) and I think a lot of other people get them confused too.  And I know I get confused a lot because when anyone brings up either of these, they usually bring up other places in Mass. like the Mass. School for the Feeble Minded and Taunton and others.

Start babbling about these places.  All of you.

I'm not really blonde, I swear.

Danvers is completely inaccessible from what I know, not entirely gone but its just walls that are being morphed into something else, nothing UE worthy. The Paul A. Dever School is "A" School for the Feeble Minded but not the facility that was known as "THE" School For The Feeble Minded, THE school was known alternatively as Walter J. Fernald. (PM me and I'll give you locations, it'll help keep things seperate). After things have settled down at Dever with their issues we will bring some people. winkwink. I <3 Dever
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.

Hahaha, I just searched Fernald on this forum and then there's differing opinions as to whether it's Dever or a different school.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused.

So Dever, Fernald, and Taunton are the same?   I thought Danvers and Taunton were.  I'm amused.

Thanks Pro! 
I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

Ok, so I looked them up on a map, and they're far apart LOL.

PM on its way... this took a bit for me a while ago... (you probably found my really confused post)

I feel kind of silly.  I've been to so many obscure abandoned places in Taunton, but I've never been to the big two places.  I also have a few other places in mind for exploration that I haven't seen that nobody ever even talks about... maybe because those sites are brownfields.  Oh well, abandoned is still abandoned!

dudemcrude... down by the river?

Unforunately, whatever reference you're making went over my head.  It does remind me of Chris Farley, though, which reminds me of one of my favorite weird spots in Taunton and how, the first time I was there, there was a guy in a van fishing on the riverbank.  I still have no clue how he got his van there, it's off to the side of abandoned railroad tracks and there are no access roads around.  Unfortunately, many of my favorite strange spots about that area involve no abandoned buildings and, therefore, have no business on a site like this. 

Let me see if i can help everyone.

Danvers is completely gone except the main building which was kept when it was turned into a rental community by the name of Avalon Danvers. After building was complete on the new project they had a huge fire that burned a large part of it.

Fernald Hospital (was once called the fernald center for idiotic children)is in Waltham mass and is still an active facility. There are sections of the hospital that have been shut down for years that had interesting stuff in them. Mostly old records.

Dever state school is in taunton mass. this was a school for kids. this is not to be confused with taunton state hospital.

TAunton state hospital in taunton ma was a state hospital for mentally disabled.

I hope i have shed some light. PM me if you have any questions.

Quote from: dimaxxxl on March 11, 2009, 05:22:28 PM
Let me see if i can help everyone.

Danvers is completely gone except the main building which was kept when it was turned into a rental community by the name of Avalon Danvers. After building was complete on the new project they had a huge fire that burned a large part of it.

Fernald Hospital (was once called the fernald center for idiotic children)is in Waltham mass and is still an active facility. There are sections of the hospital that have been shut down for years that had interesting stuff in them. Mostly old records.

Dever state school is in taunton mass. this was a school for kids. this is not to be confused with taunton state hospital.

TAunton state hospital in taunton ma was a state hospital for mentally disabled.

I hope i have shed some light. PM me if you have any questions.
can you tell me exactley what the dever scholl was used for and what went on in this facility?

Paul A. Dever State School (Taunton, MA) was originally named Camp Myles Standish and was used by the United States Army as a POW camp as well as a departure area for about one million US and allied soldiers during World War II. It was also a candidate for the United Nations HQ. After WWII it became Myles Standish State School (then after mayor Paul A. Dever's death it became Paul A. Dever State School). A state school was an institution for the mentally retarded, much like a state hospital except not for the "insane". I don't know much about the actual educating of patients at Dever, but just like many of the other State Hospitals and State Schools, Dever was shut down due to lack of funding, lawsuits, and bad treatment of patients. Dever closed mainly in 1992 and fully closed its doors forever in 2002. Since then it has been the new place in MA to go burn down (much like Plymouth County Hospital). But most of the State School buildings still remain, and a couple of the original buildings from Camp Myles Standish still stand. Also unlike Belchertown State School the tunnels in Dever are not blocked.

And yes, Danvers State Hospital is gone. They kept the outer layer of brick from the Kirkbride building and rebuilt the entire building and is now an apartment complex. Speaking of Danvers, anyone ever watch Session 9? Great movie and it was filmed inside the abandoned Danvers complex.

I saw Session 9 this summer....the star of the movie was the hospital itself.  Its a shame that place is gone because it looked awesome.  I won't blow it for anyone that hasn't seen it but the movie ended up being kind of a bummer.

I guess renovations are better then total demolitions.....or i try to convince myself of that

Quote from: insanebeaver on December 21, 2010, 01:51:27 PM
I guess renovations are better then total demolitions.....or i try to convince myself of that

I guess lol it's nice to see they didn't completely get rid of it. Because that was one hell of a beautiful building. I really hope they do something with Plymouth County Hospital, that's a beauty too. I hate how all the good abandoned places in MA are getting torn down so quick. We also lost Gaebler recently too.. Pretty soon they'll all be gone.

Quote from: Chief on December 21, 2010, 01:37:13 PM
I saw Session 9 this summer....the star of the movie was the hospital itself.  Its a shame that place is gone because it looked awesome.  I won't blow it for anyone that hasn't seen it but the movie ended up being kind of a bummer.

I really liked Session 9, it's a strange movie and somewhat hard to follow but I enjoyed it. And I agree the star was the hospital. Amazing.

i was fortunite enough to see this as it was getting demoed, unfortunitely i missed goign in when it was old and intact but i talked with security as it was getting demoed and he was kind enough to let me walk along the outside, although i did stick my camera in in in a few spots to take pics. most of the good stuff was gone. You can see it from the highway and i see it everytime i go to new england dragway. i usually stop and see it on the way home.
Ill post up pics some time soon

Quote from: CarbonCavi on December 23, 2010, 01:40:09 PM
i was fortunite enough to see this as it was getting demoed, unfortunitely i missed goign in when it was old and intact but i talked with security as it was getting demoed and he was kind enough to let me walk along the outside, although i did stick my camera in in in a few spots to take pics. most of the good stuff was gone. You can see it from the highway and i see it everytime i go to new england dragway. i usually stop and see it on the way home.
Ill post up pics some time soon

i wish i could have actually seen Danvers, it looked beyond amazing

great pics man! Too bad those apartments apparently suck wicked bad. It was pretty much re-built right? Didn't they only keep the outer layer of brick from part of the Kirkbride?

Threw together a couple satt. images of danvers through the years.

Quote from: donnabhain on December 28, 2010, 07:51:50 PM
Threw together a couple satt. images of danvers through the years.

[edit] I guess the forum wont let me upload an animated gif so you'll have to open it in another frame or program.

Quote from: sweetdecay7 on December 28, 2010, 02:01:47 PM
great pics man! Too bad those apartments apparently suck wicked bad. It was pretty much re-built right? Didn't they only keep the outer layer of brick from part of the Kirkbride?

pretty much all they kept was the front wall and main part of the kirkbride shell. other than that all new crap. sad. its more painful to see it as it is now with some reflection of what it was. i wish since it was inevitable that they just tore the whole thing down and started new.

Quote from: CarbonCavi on December 29, 2010, 10:37:21 AM
Quote from: sweetdecay7 on December 28, 2010, 02:01:47 PM

pretty much all they kept was the front wall and main part of the kirkbride shell. other than that all new crap. sad. its more painful to see it as it is now with some reflection of what it was. i wish since it was inevitable that they just tore the whole thing down and started new.

It may have been better, it's almost like a joke to just keep that little. And it angers me that the interior was built so poorly. because even though I never got to see DSH it was CLEARLY made to last unlike the crap we build today. how much are those apts running anyway?

Quote from: sweetdecay7 on January 02, 2011, 11:54:21 PM

It may have been better, it's almost like a joke to just keep that little. And it angers me that the interior was built so poorly. because even though I never got to see DSH it was CLEARLY made to last unlike the crap we build today. how much are those apts running anyway?

http://www.avaloncommunities.com/avaloncore/nfloor.asp?comm=306

Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

Quote from: Dakiel on January 03, 2011, 07:51:11 PM
Quote from: sweetdecay7 on January 02, 2011, 11:54:21 PM

http://www.avaloncommunities.com/avaloncore/nfloor.asp?comm=306

thanks for the link. so over priced for such a crappy place.