Author Topic: WARNING: Dever trouble  (Read 23580 times)

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
WARNING: Dever trouble
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:46:04 PM »
Got some pretty credible information that there is trouble down at the abandonded Paul Dever School in Taunton MA.   Apparently there have been some theft of some precious materials residing on the property which has in turn piqued in interest of law enforcement and security. 

I can only recommend that you curtail visits to Dever until things cool down....  or you can take risks and get caught there, prosecuted for something that never did.   :angry:
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline DNA81

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
Re: WARNING: Dever trouble
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 12:57:18 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Skully. That could definitely be a problem.
get me an avocado, an ice pick, and my snorkel

Offline Prometheus

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
  • The New SquatTeam.org
    • The Squat Team - SquatTeam.Org
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 11:08:31 AM »
Oh man, that's no good, that place is fun. :(
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.

Offline elpresidente

• Contributor
  • I'll tell ya why TK-421 isn't at his post!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 12:52:23 PM »
that eats.  here's the consensus question- should people who have been there take their pictures down?  I know the deputy there knows about urban exploration sites but I don't know if they actively troll sites.  Thoughts?
Don't waive your rights with your flags.
-Sage Francis

Offline DNA81

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 05:56:08 PM »
I am pretty sure that they can't do shit about pics. They don't prove that you were there yourself. Getting caught on the grounds would probably be the only thing that would give them anything, so I guess just lay low for a while or be really stealthy.
get me an avocado, an ice pick, and my snorkel

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
    • InsaneBunkers
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 05:43:20 PM »
Ah, don't worry about your pics...
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline military nut

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 07:45:01 AM »
4 individuals bagged this weekend,
history is always eroding

Offline Megster

• Crazy Cat Lady of IB
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +15/-3
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 07:55:26 AM »
That's no good :(.
I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

http://adventureswithmeg.weebly.com
http://meganmcgory.smugmug.com
http://meganmcgory.com

Offline Prometheus

• Contributor
  • The New SquatTeam.org
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 05:27:45 PM »
4 individuals bagged this weekend,

I heard it was an inside job of what happened at Dever... were the four charged with the theft and did they work there?

Offline Ladd Curator

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 10:44:13 PM »
This seems to be getting more common.

What do you folks suppose is to account for that? A rise in the frequency of visits to such sites? Are security/law enforcement getting wiser?

Urban Exploration - at least as concerns Asylums - is surely a dying art.

Offline Prometheus

• Contributor
  • The New SquatTeam.org
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 01:19:28 PM »
Well, the guys at Dever are absolutely keenly aware of the UE online presence, so I'd say its the spreading awareness.

Offline Ladd Curator

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 03:03:17 AM »
About a year ago, I think, there was a concerted effort among the webmasters of some of the larger Massachusetts based websites to maintain a forum on the down-low (ie by invitiation only, at least to begin with). During my absence, it appears to have failed.

I'm nearly certain that my website is directly to blame for the heightened security at Ladd in recent years, vis-a-vis an influx of "tourists" - and, consequently, vandals. To some degree, I regret the attention I brought to Ladd; of course, it may well have suffered ruin regardless of my influence. However, to see what has happened to the buildings that were pristine only 2 or 3 years ago just plain sucks, and I cannot help but to feel somewhat guilty.

I'm further disheartened to read (via the forums here) that Northampton has stepped up security. Northampton was by far one of my favorite locations. Such a gem! Right down to the gaping holes in the floor.

A lot of the banter that goes on here at IB - I wonder if it is to the detriment of "Urban Exploration" et al, at least as it concerns the tri-state area, and specifically of asylums. Though, I cannot speak from experience, since I've been off the trail and out of the field for about a year now. But this is my observation, albeit from afar.

Well, the guys at Dever are absolutely keenly aware of the UE online presence, so I'd say its the spreading awareness.

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
    • InsaneBunkers
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 01:13:09 PM »
I've got to say that we've felt that way also LC.  In showcasing some of these sites, have we brought attention to them.  I'd say though 99% of the people that visit the site (excluding our spamming bot friends) are genuinely interested in the exploration aspect and not the 'let's go and trash this place' group.

LC- I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.  The site it great.  Love the vitual museum theme too.
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline military nut

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +2/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 07:52:59 PM »
the problem is the dwindling state hospitals and state schools. there are less and less to explore. this makes the ladd and dever schools more enticing, the state loves to leave everything behind. dever is alos impossible to secure so it makes it easy for new explorers to get in and out.
history is always eroding

Offline CarbonCavi

• Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +18/-11
    • MYSPACE!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 11:09:25 PM »
Is dever still around? Whats the current status there if anyone knows? Secruity? etc...
Im lethal from a 2nd gear roll.

Offline Kurt

• PlymouthCountyHospital
  • Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +39/-11
  • life is not a waiting room.
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »
Dever doesnt even have doors on half of the buildings. Security can no longer patrol the abandoned campus. Its a cakewalk, always has been. Enjoy it!

Offline Chief

• The Million Dollar Man
  • Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +20/-13
  • Everyone's got a price, everybody's gotta pay
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
Nice shots dude- yeah that building up on the left the Colton Building is the hospital.  Thats my fav building there, but its def not what it used to be.

Offline sewerRat21

• Darkroom Junkie
  • Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +12/-16
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »
Dever doesnt even have doors on half of the buildings. Security can no longer patrol the abandoned campus. Its a cakewalk, always has been. Enjoy it!

Lol this thread is 7 years old! Dever has been a cake walk for at least 3 years now. Ill be there Saturday if anyone feels like joining me. I want to shoot it one last time before they continue the expansion of the industrial park

Offline Chief

• The Million Dollar Man
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 03:53:36 PM »
Sewer are you on UER?  Some dude got kicked out of Dever within the last 2 weeks(didn't get in trouble, just told to GTFO), but I think it was an isolated event, I'll try to find the thread for you. 

Offline Chief

• The Million Dollar Man
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
I'll tell you why they went looking for you....because you ran.  Whenever I go to Dever I park at the boat ramp and walk in slow like I own the place, I walk right by the 911 center like I'm not trying to hide anything and I do the same when I leave. 

BTW-The Prep Shop burned down last fall. 

Offline Chief

• The Million Dollar Man
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »
[/url]
Dever by billerpv, on Flickr[/img]     

This was the back angle of the Prep Shop literally the week before it got burned.  It was OK it was full of empty wheelchair parts.  Maybe they had activities for the patients to do in there to build wood/craft skills.  There were two redemption centers, the one with the diamonds on it is the newer one.  Yeah I think it was just that a repository for bottles and cans.  Not sure if its a private thread but Kurt went there right after the fire and got some pretty sick smoking shots of the wreckage.

In regards to the recreation center, there are a ton of cats living in there.  A senior husband/wife duo drive around with huge bags of catfood and feed them.  I ran into them a few times last summer/fall.  They're cool just wave at them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:31:23 PM by Chief »

Offline sewerRat21

• Darkroom Junkie
  • Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +12/-16
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »
I'll tell you why they went looking for you....because you ran.  Whenever I go to Dever I park at the boat ramp and walk in slow like I own the place, I walk right by the 911 center like I'm not trying to hide anything and I do the same when I leave. 

BTW-The Prep Shop burned down last fall.

Like a boss! That's how I do it

Offline Chief

• The Million Dollar Man
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 12:20:09 AM »
Like a boss! That's how I do it
[/quote]

I think because its so blatant they just like are whatever.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:53:40 AM by Chief »

Offline CarbonCavi

• Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +18/-11
    • MYSPACE!
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 09:38:26 AM »
god why have i not been here....
Im lethal from a 2nd gear roll.

Offline Kurt

• PlymouthCountyHospital
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 08:09:28 PM »
Hi stevie,

The Prep Shop also served as the wheelchair repair shop and is one of the only buildings along with the hospital bldg that predated the existance of the State School. In the 1940s the campus was Camp Myles Standish, a POW camp and depature place for soldiers. After the decommissioning, the land became state owned, the military structures torn down and the Myles Standish State School for the Retarded was built and opened. It was later renamed the Paul A. Dever State School (then Developmental Center).

As Chief mentioned I have some pictures from the hours following the fire... but I thought you might enjoy these ones from the Prep Shop as well.

1. A cookout at the prep shop that Matt from www.fallout-ue.com and I had.

3. A month before the fire

4. last shot I ever took inside.

Post fire.

Stevie, chances are the pickup truck you saw was a construction worker or perhaps the property owner. I've never had a problem here, and I've been here all times of day and night even when Madison Security used to patrol the entire campus. The worst that happened was I got spotted on a roof by security and they just circled the building and left. After the arson in September things got hot for a little and then cooled off a bit. But no one cares if you're back there I wave to security now even when covered in asbestos, and he just waves back. I don't recommend parking on campus, because unless you're walking your dog, they will assume you are scrapping copper or stainless. Also its not the best idea to go Mon-Fri 8am-6pm because of work crews and they get very upset when people are in their area. And police can and will arrest when they want. There are numerous old and brand new NO TRESPASSING signs. Trespassing is a crime and kids get arrested there regularly.

Dever has become a burden to the City of Taunton, and at this point tearing it down is the only route to go to solve the problem.

Offline Kurt

• PlymouthCountyHospital
  • Trusted Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »
But in the end its the easiest state institution in MA, well, after Belchertown of course!