Author Topic: computer  (Read 14418 times)

Handheld homemade computer

computer
« on: April 14, 2004, 03:28:56 PM »
Well im soon to build a handheld computer to bring along with me for UEing. basicly for uploading all my photos to, accesing gps, the internet, numerous things. It will be about 60gig with a qwerty keyboard RS-232, audio, multi out ports and a USB port also a card slot for a nic and wireless internet card. Got and suggestions for this thing?

Plus soon i will post some pics of the parts and my plan.

computer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 04:37:30 PM »
ANy ideas? This is worthless the UER.CA board is much better atleaste there not scared to talk.

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
computer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 05:34:58 PM »
Guest,
I can only assume that you are the topic starter with the name "Handheld homemade computer".

I think it's a very cool idea. I'd actually hold on that though. Cell phones are going to be the bomb soon. My cell already has Mapquest and WAP functions. With the headsets they double as comm devices.

Just remember that you got to carry all that stuff out there. It's like traveling, you want it somewhat lightweight. THat's why bringing the DV cam along is sometimes a PITA.

What else besides net access and photo storage would you use it for? I'm a real gearhead so I'm curious...

Skully  
Explore, Archive, Share

The guy up there

computer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 10:14:37 AM »
Pretty much what a computer can do. IM (instant message) take pics, send pics over a wireless net, connect to most sucerity systems and networks, record video and audio, play video games.

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
    • InsaneBunkers
computer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 05:15:07 PM »
Cool.  Post your pics.  I'd be curious to see your plans.    
Explore, Archive, Share

computer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 11:10:55 AM »
Im workin on em right now.

Offline curr

• Out of the Closet
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
computer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 11:35:16 AM »
leave the technology behind thats half the fun

computer
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 02:21:35 PM »
NaNa this will make me able to post pics of the place as I am there so smeone could IM me saying go in the room to the right and send me a pic. I call it Pics on damand ha.

Offline Agent51

• Lurker-Tourist
    • http://
computer
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 03:41:30 AM »
LOL, "pic on demand".  I agree with both of you (guest and curr).  The first time I explore anywhere new the only thing I bring is a flashlight and sometimes (usually) a digital camera.  That way I can fully explore the place (and get scared shitless if applicable) without the burden of carrying a bunch of stuff.  If the place is worthwhile I will go back with the whole tech setup of laptops and wirless internet and then do the "pics on demand" thing cuz that is a cool idea, I just think all that technology ruins the experience the firt time through.  Laptops and cell phones make you feel "safe" and connected to the outside world whereas just a flashlight gives you this sense of "on edge" and sketchyness which is half the fun of it.  I don't explore these places for exercise, I can walk around anywhere for that, I explore them because you get that certain sense of uneasyness, or sometimes even scared shitless (if you know there is a haunted or sketchy past to the place) and that makes it fun.  When I wanna explore the historical aspects of a place I will go in the day time with the whole setup, when I just wanna be scared or whatever, I go at night with just a flashlight and digi cam.
"Now you may ask why, why such a blue sky, of all the colors on a pallette that you might try" - Pennywise

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
    • InsaneBunkers
computer
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 07:16:32 AM »
ANy ideas? This is worthless the UER.CA board is much better atleaste there not scared to talk.
I'm not going to let this one slip by.  

Worthless?  You've come to the right place if you want to discuss technology my friend.  That's my day job.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 07:16:48 AM by Skully »
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline Agent51

• Lurker-Tourist
    • http://
computer
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 06:40:10 PM »
the "at least they're (wrong version of the word used in Guest's post) not scared to talk." was funny to me since A: the person is a GUEST, couldn't even register, so maybe HE is the one "scared to talk", B:  There aren't a lot of members (as far as I can tell) to this board at all and it doesn't look like it's a very busy place all the time, there are some gaps for like a month or two in some posts, nobody is scared to talk, they just don't check the board every second and C: If you want info coming to the board and bashing it right off the bat PROLLY isn't the best way to gain it, just a thought.  I'm not here to start a fight though, I'm here cuz I love exploring and wanna share/gain knowledge with/from others about it.  Site rocks, late.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 06:43:00 PM by Agent51 »
"Now you may ask why, why such a blue sky, of all the colors on a pallette that you might try" - Pennywise

Offline curr

• Out of the Closet
computer
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 10:59:20 AM »
ya i agree agent51/gathering intel is definetley a plus (before or after)i feel that bringing a computer , cell phone,etc. is definetley taking away from the experience/i personaly dont go to be scared or look for ghosts or any thing like that, i just like the history and having a hobby that most people think is rediculous(but in actuality, thier probabley just scared)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 11:02:38 AM by curr »

computer
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 08:22:40 AM »
Same here. Actually I am registered just dont sign on. I find it much easier to just post without signing in every time I want to. Im not trying to start a fight here.

Offline sneaker

• Lurker-Tourist
computer
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 11:09:57 PM »
I actaully bring a Dell Axim with me. Runs windows pocket pc and allows me to bring all my satelite overheads with me. Landmark reference and that type of shit. Its got a GPS card for it that I though might be useful but never actually found a use for it. Its a 400MHz that fits in my pocket...Tiny little thing.

Honestly though it spends most of the time in my pocket when I actually get on a site. From that point I'm to busy looking around to play with technology. It has got me out of a few jams though. Nealry got busted on one site when 4 cruisers showed up. (guess I wasn't dodging the security gaurd as well as i thought i was) It seemed like everytime I got to one of the gates there was a cruiser sitting there. blocking the entrance. Thanks to my little axim and a ventalation Hood unit I was hiding in on the roof for damn near an hour i found myself a backway out without going by the cops that were searching the building. One hell of a route to. Had to sneak back down through the building into a tunnel in the basement (found the tunnel earlier when things weren't so tense) out to a water treatment building. from there I followed some old railroad tracks about 1/4 mile back to the road. All that was left of the tracks was a single rail (love to know where the other one went or who took it... weird shit). Without that Dell though I would have beenin that hood for a long time waiting for the cops to leave.

Got the thing from work. Network admin Perk. Pretty industructable too.

computer
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004, 05:20:22 PM »
When I had my PDA (sadly broke) I used it to get me out of a drain system when I noticed the water level rising and the way I got in was low and small so it was flooded. I used a drain map I uploaded earleyer to find another pipe out sadly that pipe was 12+ over a pond I noticed when I was in the air.