Author Topic: Artifacts  (Read 3784 times)

Offline urbanexplorer

• Damn! the cops are right in back of us ............heres the keys you drive
  • Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
  • This fight could be the last fight !
    • member gallery
Artifacts
« on: May 31, 2006, 10:48:42 PM »
as a general rule when i go exploring i do not remove anything from the site i am exploring but lately i have been questioning this.
I have always felt that if i find something at a site to leave it for other people to see however if it is left behind chances are it will only get picked up by someone else or destroyed by kids,Vandals,assholes whatever so i was just wondering how everybody else felt about this subject
When you go looking for ghosts in these places be sure to be a ghost leave no clues to your existence and dissapear into thin air!!!!

Urbanexplorer 2006

Offline Megster

• Crazy Cat Lady of IB
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +15/-3
Re: Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 07:57:08 AM »
Currently, I generally don't either.  I do have an exception though...if I find a journal, I take it.  Journals are a part of history, and once they're gone, they're gone.  At least if they come with me, then they'll be pretty safe.

One of the houses I took a journal from (a gardening journal from 1952...not too interesting...)  has been renovated since, and I've been debating anonymously sending it to the owners lol.  The other journal I found was a desk journal from 1958...but sadly we discovered it was empty.

Sometimes things are too gross though, so a picture is just fine.  Another place I found a newspaper from 1939, but it had been left to the weather and so I took a picture and left it with the house.

When I first started, I took a whole bunch of shit.  Not to say I'm proud of it or anything, but we stole two extension cords, two fire extinguishers, prices of a lighting fixture and curtains from a house in the abandoned neighborhood at Norwich State.  But that was 8 years ago, so could I still get in trouble for it? Probably... lol  Another house, we stole a book on Legendary Connecticut, and while looking at it a little while later, discovered that it was signed by the author.  Shit.
I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

http://adventureswithmeg.weebly.com
http://meganmcgory.smugmug.com
http://meganmcgory.com

Offline urbanexplorer

• Damn! the cops are right in back of us ............heres the keys you drive
  • Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
  • This fight could be the last fight !
    • member gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 08:17:11 AM »
as far as anything taken actually being theft(and i am not a lawyer so do not rely on this)from an abondoned house or wherever i dont think its a crime i mean it was abondoned for christs sake lol but in RI who the hell knows anything could happen to you out here you know what they say
"come to Rhode Island on vaction and leave Rhode Island on probation"
When you go looking for ghosts in these places be sure to be a ghost leave no clues to your existence and dissapear into thin air!!!!

Urbanexplorer 2006

Offline Prometheus

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
  • The New SquatTeam.org
    • The Squat Team - SquatTeam.Org
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 08:53:54 AM »
I've taken small items like a playing card or a small piece of something, as a general rule I don't think its very smart from a legal standpoint. It opens you up for a "larceny under $100" charge.
I'd say if you can't VERY easily hide it if you get caught, don't take it in the first place.
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.