Barre, MA Institution?

Started by Prometheus, June 19, 2006, 10:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone in the Barre, MA area knowledgable about a former institution there?
What little information I've found on it refers to it as "The Private Institution For The Education Of Feeble-Minded Youth" or as "Brown's Institution For The Feeble-Minded". It apparently was on Broad Street in Barre, MA. Do the buildings still exist? Have they been repurposed? Any other info? Thanks.
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.

June 19, 2006, 09:03:49 PM #1 Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 09:45:20 PM by urbanexplorer
pro, heres the google map of this area at the north end of broad street is a big building looks to be a school and still in use cuz the parking lot is full however at the south end of the street at broad and park there is a common and a pretty empty looking 5 buildings or so the largest seems to be old as far as i can tell from the sat image hope it helps
and the police station is right around the corner from broad street i havent been in barre in years but when i used to go out there it was a closely knit community people out there are very friendly so maybe a fact finding mission with the locals could help you find out what you want to know barre is a small town where everyone"knows"each other so be on your toes if you go out there

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=broad+street,barre+ma&ie=UTF8&ll=42.42367,-72.106056&spn=0.001719,0.006738&t=h&om=1
i also found this in the 1930s census report as institutions in barre at that time
14-135 Institution(s): Brown's Institution for Feeble-Minded     
14-136 Barre Town (Southwest Part) and Barre (Part), Barre Plains, and South Barre Villages
Institution(s): Barre Town Farm
When you go looking for ghosts in these places be sure to be a ghost leave no clues to your existence and dissapear into thin air!!!!

Urbanexplorer 2006

You might want to try searching under Elm Hill private school and home for Children in Barre, Ma. Here's a link with a few pictures of it http://www.disabilitymuseum.org/lib/docs/1707.htm and also an article about it.

Thanks a ton UrbEx and Laura. Awesome info! Best stuff I've gotten thus far, I love insanebunkers.

Follow up for Urb Ex, do you recall any of the buildings looking like this:
http://www.disabilitymuseum.org/lib/stills/1710.htm
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.

there are a lot (or were)of houses from the 1800 looking similar to that last i was in barre but i wasn't really looking for a specific place so it doesn't really stand out another good place to try would be the barre historical society they could tell you (probably on the phone) if this building is in use ,abandoned gone whatever i would guess
Barre Historical Society
On The Commen, Barre, MA 01005
(978) 355-4978
When you go looking for ghosts in these places be sure to be a ghost leave no clues to your existence and dissapear into thin air!!!!

Urbanexplorer 2006