Need Help with a MAJOR find...

Started by Prometheus, May 22, 2006, 01:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Looking for someone who has a boat (that could handle 'Ganset Bay), who'd be willing to go out with paradyme and I to an island. More info if you're down... PM me.
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.

what island you looking to goto?????????????? not rose island over in newport i hope
When you go looking for ghosts in these places be sure to be a ghost leave no clues to your existence and dissapear into thin air!!!!

Urbanexplorer 2006

May 23, 2006, 03:41:18 PM #2 Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 03:47:24 PM by Prometheus
Gould. They said that they tore down buildings a couple of years back, but I'm relatively sure that they're still there...
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=jamestown,+ri&ll=41.5347,-71.346974&spn=0.013878,0.042915&t=k&om=1

And this island... not sure the name of this one... maybe rose? Seemingly has some remains on it.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=jamestown,+ri&t=k&om=1&ll=41.503628,-71.3977&spn=0.006942,0.021458

There are several islands out in 'Gansett Bay that have buildings on them that don't seem active.
Still looking for someone with a boat who'd be down for a good time with GPS.

well rose island is the one in back of goat island the one you can see from the newport bridge with the lighthouse in nice condition thats because it is kept up by the rose island lighthouse assoc. and has keepers there fulltime who sign up for a week out there at a time i was actually thinking about going out there myself as i drove by it today on my way home from work and did a little googling and found this all out kinda creepy
When you go looking for ghosts in these places be sure to be a ghost leave no clues to your existence and dissapear into thin air!!!!

Urbanexplorer 2006

Would you like to get together and do an island hopping trip?

sorry pal no boat i was just trying to give ya some info on rose island and found that it is inhabited

Urbanexplorer 2006

Gould would be one to avoid,as the NUWC is so close and it was use for torpedo testing. i wouldn't be suprised to find it is still active.

" The Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC) is the Navy's full-spectrum research, development, test and evaluation, engineering and fleet support center for submarines, autonomous underwater systems, and offensive and defensive weapons systems associated with undersea warfare."

as for the other one thats Dutch island AKA Fort Greble good info here:http://ca.ckwinfo.net/nb/greble/index.html
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

Awesome info on Greble/Dutch Island! That may be the better place to explore in terms of actual content. Thanks Dakiel!
As for Gould, I'm relatively sure there's no longer any activity there... they pulled down the buildings near the firing pier, so it wouldn't really be useful any longer. It may, however, be best to stay at bay (no pun intended) for a bit as it looks pretty clearly visible from both sides of the shore. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/katrinkles/131102364/) Also, it may be a better trip during the late fall when there won't be as much foliage.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/RI/Airfields_RI.htm

i would be more concerned with what is under the water than whats on the surface as the island is so close to the war college and i think it is in restricted waters: http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/julqtr/pdf/33cfr334.82.pdf
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

Quote from: Dakiel on May 24, 2006, 04:07:47 PM
i would be more concerned with what is under the water than whats on the surface as the island is so close to the war college and i think it is in restricted waters: http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/julqtr/pdf/33cfr334.82.pdf

good Lord!  And I thought getting chased by the 5.0 was a pain!  Thanks for the info!
Don't waive your rights with your flags.
-Sage Francis

You make a valid point Dakiel... we need to find someone who has a HELICOPTER!  :wacko:

Man, we got some cool peeps joining us here on the forum.  Dakiel and I have been freaking salivating over Gould for 15 years.  We did however get wind from some very credible sources that you want to stay away.  Someone cruising in a boat nearby reported seeing monitoring cameras (Area51-style) along the shore.

Man, a two years ago we tried to organize an InsaneBunker get-together on Dutch.  Rent Kayaks in Wickford, paddle out to Dutch with tents, explore for hours, stay the night (clambake and beers optional).

One warning though, I think Dutch is officially off-limits.  Dakiel, what's the latest on Dutch's status?
Explore, Archive, Share

hey guys found this on google goes to 2005 about gould http://www.airfields-freeman.com/RI/Airfields_RI.htm

sorry i dont understand how the insert link thing works yet anyways ill do a little research on these cameras that have been talked about see what i can find out

Urbanexplorer 2006

Gould looks like it's ripe for a virgin exploration.  Wow....
Explore, Archive, Share

Yeah, Gould would be amazing. I wonder if we could pull off getting permission from the Navy... Paradyme is writing a book and we may be able to play that card. Anyone know who we'd have to get permission from? I'm dying to get out there. Check the satelite imagery of the place! There are definitely old buildings in the woods as well as a deployment pier... its begging to be explored.

i read last night that the navy turned over the middle of the island to the state of rhode island and im not sure but i think i also read considerably later in the morning that they had given the whole thing back to rhode island but ill take a look again later and let ya know

Urbanexplorer 2006

Quote from: lokijcant on May 26, 2006, 03:06:26 PM
i read last night that the navy turned over the middle of the island to the state of rhode island and im not sure but i think i also read considerably later in the morning that they had given the whole thing back to rhode island but ill take a look again later and let ya know

I think that's correct.  We were pretty sure it had become a state park, about 10 years ago, but that was secondary to finding out if we could get out there at all.  It'd be wild.  It's a shame the old lighthouse is gone.  That island's got a lot of history behind it.  It'd be wild to get out there!
-Sage Francis

from what i read today(after some much needed sleep lol) the north end of the island was still under navy control as of 1988 the rest of the island is owned by the state

and this is the latest ive found on dutch island its from 2000 http://www.dem.ri.gov/news/2000/pr/1122001.htm

Urbanexplorer 2006

From the link: "DEM has filed emergency regulations prohibiting anyone from being on the Island without specific written permission of the director; violators can be fined $100 plus costs."

Plus what costs? How much are we talking here?

Urbanexplorer 2006

Quote from: lokijcant on May 26, 2006, 08:29:41 PM
still searching about dutch i found this dated 2004 you will want to scroll to page 13

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:Fe1KB56-JtMJ:www.jamestownri.net/council/minutes04/12-13.pdf+ridem+dutch+island&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=6

that's pretty interesting stuff.  I wonder if it would be worth approaching the Jamestown town council, or even the RI general assembly.  I have a friend or 2 in the Senate (not senators sadly, but fortunately, people who get things done for senators!)  We'll want to see how the town stands on it, and then if necessary, see if there is any legislation or even proposals at the state level.
-Sage Francis

i know the town solicitor of jamestown as it turns out ill talk to him see what he can do

Urbanexplorer 2006

That would be amazing but as of yet we have no boats... are the waters there approachable via rental boat?

im still working on getting out to jamestown to talk with this guy i should be able to get out there this week i hope ill keep ya posted

Urbanexplorer 2006

the process has started im now waiting for responses ill let ya know what happens

Urbanexplorer 2006

Inquiring minds want to know.  We've been dying to see this place.
Explore, Archive, Share

Quote from: urbanexplorer on June 24, 2006, 07:00:29 PM
the process has started im now waiting for responses ill let ya know what happens

Wow, you're on top of things.

thank you ,i try ,i try -_-

Urbanexplorer 2006

Had to bring this topic back up, any luck with Gould? i've been looking at it for years, and have been tempted a kayak trip out, easier to hide a 'yak than a boat  : :ph34r:

I'll dig it up again . . I've seen pics online from goulds, so it looks like you can kayak out to it and walk around. Dutch is an easy trip i've done before. Boston has alot of fortified islands too. I've kayaked out to peddocks, governors and lovells.