What's the worst that can happen?

Started by QuaZman, April 25, 2006, 10:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi, I'm new to the forum and UE too. I'm only 17 and most of my friends are 16-17 too and we've looked at some of the sites written about on this forum. We plan on checking out a few places out of curiosity and for an adventure. We're all smart kids and we're pretty serious when we have to be so making noise is controllable. But what I was really wondering is what can happen if you get caught in or around these places? We would respect the building and we wouldn't take or break anything, so I don't think there would be anything wrong on our part except for trespassing. I've heard that cops have threatened to arrest but does that ever actually happen? I've never heard of anyone getting in serious trouble from any kind of UE but I was wondering what usually happens when someone gets caught. Also what gear should we get for our exploration, flashlights and masks of course but what else is good to bring?

Large groups and your age will likely work against you if you get caught. 

I've been caught a couple times.  Norwich State Hospital will chase you, interrogate you, and tell you to leave. And if you get lost while they're chasing you, they will happily show you the way out.  NSH staff will also help with a broken down car.

Cops aren't the only people you have to worry about.  Good Samaritans who see shit out of place will call the cops. The cops told us that if we had been caught on a posted property in RI, we could have been fined $65 and arrested.

The $65 fine also applies to CT as of 3 years ago.  (I haven't been arrested, but friends of friends have been).

General rule of thumb: once you're in a building and you didn't park nearby, no one knows you're there.
I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

http://adventureswithmeg.weebly.com
http://meganmcgory.smugmug.com
http://meganmcgory.com

Yeah, thanks. I figured that we would just get kicked out if security caught us, and we're scared enough of getting caught to take a long walk over to whereever our destination may be. My group made a terrible mistake which i realized the consequences of immediately but luckily nothing happened. We asked for directions at this little pizza place and they gladly told us but lots of old people in the place were listening, and since for some reason the whole group except 2 of us went to go ask it caused quite the commotion. One of the old men there was just staring and he had a firefighter's jacket on and I just felt terribly stupid.

June 09, 2006, 03:15:49 PM #3 Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 02:35:45 PM by urbanexplorer
you wouldnt  happen to be talking about ladd school would you by the little pizza place?
When you go looking for ghosts in these places be sure to be a ghost leave no clues to your existence and dissapear into thin air!!!!

Urbanexplorer 2006

i would dare to say (not to try to scare anyone) the worst that could happen is a injury resulting in death which is a real possibility considering the age of some of these buildings consider this :
you are in a building that has not been maintained in 40 years or more, the roof leaks, the floors rot in places and you fall through a rotten section of floor and land on an object such as a lamp or handle of some sort ,or you fall through a few floors either one could happen and either one could be life ending. Although this has not happened to me(thank god) or anyone i know I'm sure it has happened and does happen, another thing is wild animals although i would say this is certainly rare. If you were to encounter a coyote say, and it was cornered it WILL defend itself because it will feel threatened hopefully and in most circumstances it will run if given the chance. The point is there are real dangers that come with exploring and a few simple steps can insure your safety i would suggest the following
1. if possible don't go exploring alone
2. don't explore beyond your ability (pretty much don't put yourself in a situation your not ready for)
3. do some research don't just go someplace on a whim try and find out as much as possible before going
4. try (and this is pretty amusing) to stay in cell phone range in case you need help
well thats what i think is the worst that can happen hope it helps
When you go looking for ghosts in these places be sure to be a ghost leave no clues to your existence and dissapear into thin air!!!!

Urbanexplorer 2006

Houses can just collapse too; when I was 11 we had a building on our property that collapsed without warning that I had just been playing in with one of my friends.  There were no signs that it was going to fall...it just fell over in the middle of the night, and crushed two antique cars that my dad's friend had been storing in there.

And besides dying, finding a dead body would definitely be bad.
I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

Quote from: Megster on June 25, 2006, 10:59:12 AM
And besides dying, finding a dead body would definitely be bad.

Finding a dead body would be insane. How would you report it without incriminating yourself?

Definitely second urbanexplorer's tips.
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.

June 26, 2006, 01:55:03 PM #7 Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 02:04:25 PM by urbanexplorer
Step 5. how not to incriminate yourself reporting a dead body
2 or 3 quarters and a cvs payphone tell the cops you wanna make an anonymous report and they will leave it at that and go investigate the scene dont let them keep you on the phone because they have the exact location your calling from on there caller id/911 system and they may try to send a cruiser over to nab you an over zeleous dispatcher may try for the 2 for 1 special if you know what i mean
  :ph34r:

Urbanexplorer 2006

I had a pretty bad experience while trying to find an abandoned house in Coventry. We came to a dirt road and saw a truck coming and when they saw us they started to speed up alot so we ducked into the woods, ran a little then hid by a rock and covered ourselves with leaves(special forces style)Well anyway the dude in the truck started firing shots(no lie). Must have been sensitive about tresspassing on his land. Now I dont think he would have really shot us but I didnt want to stick around to find out. Bottom line is some people might get crazy with you for being on their land. The worst a cop will do is arrest you. Know what I sayin. You gotta be careful.
get me an avocado, an ice pick, and my snorkel

A similar incident happened to me in West Virginia. I lived in Virginia for a little bit.
I was lost with my gf at the time and we stopped at a convenience store looking building. Still had a big coke cutout on the pole out front but no sign, but this is WV, so whatever. We went to the door and aparently it was someone's house now. So we left and all of a sudden up behind us comes roaring this pickup with extra huge tires and a huge confederate flag screaming "Go home Yankee" and shit. So they chase us for about 2 miles and then we hit a stop sign, so I stop and they start firing shots in the air. So they chase us all the way back to VA to our college campus and then fired some shots in the air outside the gate (thank God for the security and gate). Aparently noone let them know that they lost the civil war yet.
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.

Quote from: Prometheus on June 30, 2006, 11:40:02 AM
A similar incident happened to me in West Virginia. I lived in Virginia for a little bit.
I was lost with my gf at the time and we stopped at a convenience store looking building. Still had a big coke cutout on the pole out front but no sign, but this is WV, so whatever. We went to the door and aparently it was someone's house now. So we left and all of a sudden up behind us comes roaring this pickup with extra huge tires and a huge confederate flag screaming "Go home Yankee" and shit. So they chase us for about 2 miles and then we hit a stop sign, so I stop and they start firing shots in the air. So they chase us all the way back to VA to our college campus and then fired some shots in the air outside the gate (thank God for the security and gate). Aparently noone let them know that they lost the civil war yet.

lol and apparently no one bothered to tell them that the state was created to avoid tipping the balance in the Union toward slavery...
Don't waive your rights with your flags.
-Sage Francis

We got chased in Preston, scary shit.  It was like 11 at night and we were going down a dirt road that had a name, but apparently it was just a two mile driveway.  So we got to the end, turned around, and out of nowhere some guy in a huge truck is on our ass and pulled in front of our car so we couldn't leave and started screaming at us and flashing a really bright flashlight in our faces.  It was so fucking scary, I would have called 911 if my cell had service out there.

ive said it before and ill say it again Holy Schnikes!!!   :ph34r: i would have had 1 phrase for that bastard though.....................................................................pepper spray  :wacko:  lol hah hah take that mr flashlight man lol

Urbanexplorer 2006

Quote from: Megster on July 02, 2006, 11:34:20 AM
We got chased in Preston, scary shit.  It was like 11 at night and we were going down a dirt road that had a name, but apparently it was just a two mile driveway.  So we got to the end, turned around, and out of nowhere some guy in a huge truck is on our ass and pulled in front of our car so we couldn't leave and started screaming at us and flashing a really bright flashlight in our faces.  It was so fucking scary, I would have called 911 if my cell had service out there.

Hehe.  Sounds kind of like the movie Jeepers Creepers