taunton burns

Started by military nut, March 20, 2006, 12:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
a sad day for fans of the kirkbride, and fans of taunton st hospital.

i just returned from the biggest fire ive ever seen. taunton  state hospital is burning as we speak. A tip from fellow explorer mike d.and a fox news link sent me by him prompted me to take a ride to the old hospital. i couldnt get too close,(i have never seen so many fire depts in one spot) but near enough to see the kirk is done the administraion blding is a pile of ash. the medical ward and the howland building may beat the flames but surely will be demolished as well when all is said and done. its sad that this building,was the last of the mass kirkbride buildings still in one piece. thank god we wont see condos built there. i loved the building for the lack of taggs and human destruction. i got the pleasure of touring the buildings numerous times, and it was one of my favorites. another historical land mark done. :angry:

nut
history is always eroding

Nut,
Although I personally missed that trip, we really appreciate you helping Dakiel to get those awesome pics before the fire.
Explore, Archive, Share

its was my pleasure. you guys at IB are a great bunch, cant wait to meet you one day skully, hopefully at meet up or out at an abandoned site one day.
history is always eroding

I took a walk-through of the property yesterday to survey the damage.  It's not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be; only the admin was burned, and the wings are still completely intact.  The fact that the walls of the admin are still standing is a testament to the care they used to take when building these fantastic structures.

If anyone's interested, a few of us are slowly forming a preservation committee to actively try and keep TSH from being demolished.  Contact me for more info.

Awesome pics MovingUnit.
Explore, Archive, Share

No doubt, Nut.  Overdue I'd say.

Quote from: military nut on March 23, 2006, 08:34:24 PM
its was my pleasure. you guys at IB are a great bunch, cant wait to meet you one day skully, hopefully at meet up or out at an abandoned site one day.
Explore, Archive, Share