Author Topic: Handheld GPS  (Read 7593 times)

Offline undeath

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
    • Inyo FACE @ MySpace
Handheld GPS
« on: March 03, 2006, 07:31:02 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with handheld GPS systems? I'm hoping for recommendations so I can get one when I get a damn job... I saw some for 200-300 dollars that looked good, but I want to get an opinion on a site where they're not being sold.

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
Re: Handheld GPS
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 09:22:23 PM »
I know someone who uses them all the time to hike all over the US.  He's got some strong opinions on what's good and what's junk.  I'll try to find out.  I need to get one too.
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline undeath

• Contributor
    • Inyo FACE @ MySpace
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 11:33:46 PM »

Offline undeath

• Contributor
    • Inyo FACE @ MySpace
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 04:57:42 PM »
Sony's next update... or one soon after... will give the PSP GPS capabilities. That hint is found in the system files of the new update. You don't put those system files in an update and then leave them be, so plan on that...

Offline DNA81

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 02:18:20 PM »
A few of my friends have Garmins.They do alot of geocaching and they love the things. Most of the TACP and combat control guys I know also use Garmins. They worked well for us in Iraq and afghanistan. I like the ones with a good size color screen so it might be a while before I get that. They are not cheap by any means.
get me an avocado, an ice pick, and my snorkel

Offline dmm

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 05:27:11 AM »
I use a Garmin and would highly recommend it. In the past year or so I've read reviews of people complaining about their customer service, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. For perspective: My unit was given to me as a given; the giver purchased it through Amazon.com (of not as it's a third-party vendor). The first thing I did? Broke off some of the connectors of the cradle by accident.

I called Garmin up. Told them what happened. No shit, I said, "I tried putting it into the cradle and I must have done it wrong because it's broken." Expecting to be buying a new cradle, they responded telling me they'd ship a new one out that afternoon. Didn't even charge me for shipping.

Some months later I had a similar experience with the windshield mount. It wasn't sticking, I started getting a little over-ambitious, and one of the parts got stripped. Same thing happened; replaced absolutely free.

Then, after about two years of heavy use, my unit started to have trouble keeping a lock on satellites. I wrote to customer service and they said it'd have to be refurbished. The unit I have is the iQue 3600, which is the first PDA/GPSr they introduced, and very far from the most rugged unit they have. I was definitely using it more like a handheald GPSr. Anyway, they have a flat-fee refursbish rare--$150--for smashed screens and everything.

Needless to say, I waited until the thing damn near didn't work at all before I sent it in. Finally I did. I paid for shipping and...ten days later they sent me a completely new unit and didn't charge me the refurbishing fee.

So hey. Maybe it's because the 3600 is/was on the high end, but they've earned my loyalty.

And for lesser-priced more-rugged units...if I ever have the extra spending cash, my money's on the GPS 60 series.