New feature! Locations Locations Locations

Started by skully, February 25, 2006, 02:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 25, 2006, 02:29:22 PM Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 09:45:52 PM by skully
We just added a new feature to the IB site.  This is something that right now that no other UE site has: location information with any photograph using the Google Map API. This is cool stuff.

See it in action here: http://www.insanebunkers.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=72

Some questions:

How can I find/use the new location feature?

The location feature can be used either from the Home page of the site or inside the Storage Bunker.  On the homepage of the site, look on the left side.  You should be able to see "Location Spotter".  Click that.  It will bring you to the new location window.  Any photos that have location information will be listed here.

How can I see the location information for a particular photo?
If a particular photo has location information, it will be listed in that photo's image page.  This is the view after viewing thumbnails in a album.

Will all photos on the site have location information? This is weird, I thought InsaneBunkers wasn't releasing location information.

Yes and No.  Release of location information is up to the owner of the photographs.  If you upload photos, it's your choice to release the pushpin or not on your uploaded images.  For IB images, we'll choose which sites to release information about.

I may want to check out some of these released sites.  Is there anything that I should know?

First off, we don't advocate that you visit anywhere chronicled on this site.  The publication of location information is just a feature and does not imply for you to go out and fall off a scaffolding somewhere (this was an example).  Like anywhere in life, where you go and what you do is entirely up to your free will.  Additionally, we can't guarantee that the location information is even remotely accurate.

How accurate is the location information?

A good publisher, that would mean us or you if you decide to contribute, will zoom in as far as possible to drill down and place their location pushpin in an accurate place on the map.  But we are humans so the accuracy is purely based on the contributor.

This is freaking cool.  How do I add location information to my albums?

Simple.  Here's the method:  After you've uploaded your photos to an album, pick your favorite picture in the album and add location info to that photo by clicking "Edit File Information" while looking at each image in the Storage Bunker.  From there, you'll see a small Google Map.  Navigate directly on the map to the place of the photo.  Zoom in for better accuracy.  Click to enter your pushpin.  If you mess up, no big deal, click a second time on the pushpin to erase.
Explore, Archive, Share