Author Topic: nike missle silos  (Read 13034 times)

Offline military nut

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +2/-0
nike missle silos
« on: April 10, 2004, 03:30:16 AM »
im an avid military site explorer. ive been all around south eastern new england in search of bunkers forts and bases. ive seen several nike missle sites that now are abandoned or decommisioned. my experiences have been fun but unfulling in my search of a site that hasnt been covered over or filled in. i did see one in the early 80s that since my return is filled with water.  if anyone knows of one that is accesable and not filled id really appreciate some info on its local. i also have info on several different site that im willing to share. i do not want to post but will gladly give out in an e-mail. over the years many places have been trashed and a few of these sites are while not unknown are relitaivly obscure.

btr88rocketrc2003@yahoo.com
history is always eroding

Offline military nut

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
nike missle silos
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 12:41:52 PM »
hi everyone. i made a post a while back about 2 or so weeks about a nike site.  some intresting news. while  at a practice for my sons little league, which happened to be on the radar complex for an old nike site i ran into a  person who turns out is the owner of of the second part of the site where the silos are located. the government sold the silo to him in the 70s.  all three silos are flooded 2 just about to the brim the third is half way. he told me that he is considering pumping out that particular one and trying to restore it. of cource its going to take money to do so with alot of chemicals and asbestos . his son plays in the same league as mine. well to make a long story short. he told me that i should check back with him about july. and i told him id like to take a look inside and he said he was fine with that. this could be an opptunity for anyone who hasnt gotten to experience the inside of a site legally. i will update where and when this window to veiw the interior is and would welcome anyone who would care to explore it.

Offline curr

• Out of the Closet
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
nike missle silos
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 11:37:37 AM »
sounds really cool,im definetly down/let me know how it is going

Offline firechick

• Lurker-Tourist
nike missle silos
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 05:47:32 PM »
i've explored things all over NE, but have a particular interest in Nike sites, as i lived in one for several years as a student in college...i would really like to find some locally that are abandoned but intact...
please e-mail me...

Offline Dakiel

• Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +7/-1
    • http://www.insanebunkers.com
nike missle silos
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 11:51:33 PM »
nut, i am in posession of a USIA Dry Suit and Dacor BC,  let me know of you want to hook up for this.  
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
nike missle silos
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 07:52:37 AM »
Firechick,
You lived in one during college?  Wow.  Where was that?
As far as intact... Hmm.  The only one we know of is on active millitary property.  There are a handful around where certain structures are visible but mostly in shitty condition.  

Skully
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline military nut

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
nike missle silos
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 02:37:31 PM »
hey fellow explorers, a little update on the nike site in previous post. of the three silos in this particular site 2 are completely full of water up to the enterence doors. the gentlemen who owns the property is going to rent out the space of two of them to a storage company, they inturn are going to pay a large percentage of the costs to pump out and have the water removed. lead  and asbestos are an issue. i was told that once one was pumped out that i would have the opportunity to explore it. due to safety and legal reasons anyone going to visit it has to do it on the qt.  he told me when the first is done to make arangements with him to have the gate enterence and one of the blast enterence left open some particular night. i laughed and told him that kind of took the fun out of it. but i wont look a gift horse in the mouth. i was astonished on how much its going to cost to pump and clean out these silos. the water has to be treated and cant be just pumped out into the woods. check back for an update, the work is scheduled for the middle of july

nut

Offline military nut

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
nike missle silos
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 01:29:40 PM »
well to finally an  update my nike silo mission. i gained access to the silos in question. its the most intact magazine area i have seen out of the 7 ive been to. from the permiter fences and guard station its all pretty much untouched. i have a few pics i will post later. of the three magazine siloss 1 is completely flooded and the other had water waist high. the third is a storage area that i was permited to see but not allowed to photograph. thankyou to melissa from iron mountain who i introduced to the ib website. sorry i couldnt have invited others to the the site but i was given access on press credentials lol.  the ifc  area is intact as well but is now a baseball complex with a few nike era buildings still there i was granted access to those as well by the owner. definetly a thrill for me being a fanatic of military installations. i have just recieved permission to explore a similiar site from the town offices. cant wait. i will post pics as soon as possible, or as soon as i figure how to make a yahoo pic web page.

nut

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
nike missle silos
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 02:29:59 PM »
Nice.  Thanks for the report, Nut.  Can't wait to see the pics.  Would a InsaneBunker picture gallery be of use to members here?
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline metalwitch

nike missle silos
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 03:27:18 AM »
i will post pics as soon as possible, or as soon as i figure how to make a yahoo pic web page.

nut
Excellent!

Offline metalwitch

nike missle silos
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 03:28:17 AM »
Would a InsaneBunker picture gallery be of use to members here?
Yes I think it would.

Offline Taylor

• Lurker-Tourist
Re: nike missle silos
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 05:15:55 PM »
Hi All,

I'm kinda new here but I know of a Nike missle site on Sandy Hook in central NJ.  It is a part of the US Army's Fort Hancock facility and is now a part of Gateway National Park.  I took my daughters to tour the engagement control station where the launch controllers were stationed. 

They didn't show us the missle silos since they were down range a good way, and I'm unsure of their current status (filled in or not).  There is a fence, but I'm sure the site could easilly be accessed when they open up for armed forces and veterans day, there are trails all over that area as well that lead to other WWI and WWII era bunkers.

See Ya!
Harry

Offline Dakiel

• Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +7/-1
    • http://www.insanebunkers.com
Re: nike missle silos
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 03:27:07 AM »
Thanks, Harry.

Welcome to the site. 

Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.