Author Topic: North hampton state hospital  (Read 10321 times)

Offline military nut

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +2/-0
North hampton state hospital
« on: July 08, 2005, 12:53:59 PM »
anyone know if it still stands? im makeing a trip to newyork next weekend and want to know if its worth taking a few hours to stop and see. any heads up would be greatly appreciated.
history is always eroding

Offline MovingUnit

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
    • Fallout UE
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 01:45:30 PM »
Check your pm's sir.   B)  

Offline military nut

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 11:04:47 PM »
i bow in unworthyness for you help sir thanks again
history is always eroding

Offline LJ151

• Lurker-Tourist
Re: North hampton state hospital
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 03:54:04 PM »
I live very close to NorthHampton and would also like to know any information regarding whether or not the Hospital is still standing...I am a huge fan of the Kirkbride buildings....you may recall seeing my Danvers photos that I posted in the forum a year or so ago...they are on the main IB page now.

Offline lindaz

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 08:39:56 PM »
Hello all -

wonderful site here, very cool.

Northampton is for the most part still standing, but not for long.  The original old Kirkbride section, known as Old Main, is all there, but slated for demo by June of this year.  June '06.  Some of the 1960s-era structures, which actually were architectural junk anyway, were the first to go. 

It's a strange and piecemeal demolition.  Many of the really magnificent big stands of old trees have been bulldozed to oblivion, and two of the newer buildings have just been rehabbed into apartments and newly occupied.  So you've got toddlers with their tricycles not 100 yards from the hospital's old Morgue doors.  Really weird.

We were just there on 3/12/06 trying to get some daytime exterior still shots and some film footage.  Strange day.  The overwhelming sense in the air isn't so much creepiness as huge sadness.  Old Main retains some of its former grandeur but it's just shabby as all get-out now, it's a shame.  Huge tall brand-spankin' new security fence all around and heavy security on the grounds - both foot cops and cruisers, real cops.  We got our shots and footage but got summarily tossed off the grounds after about 3 hours there.

Lots of people spend time inside Old Main but I shan't say how they're getting in.  Not to live there, they're just in there on weekends mostly.  They really revere the place, nice people.  We had no intention of going in but some the kids inside saw us, came out, and offered us a tour of the Morgue - that was terrifying, creepy, and immensely, immensely sad.

The grounds, once spectacular, are nothing but a jungle now, the parts they haven't bulldozed.  The wildlife is fantastic, hawks and owls and birdlife are thriving there.  They just cruise right near you if you stand still out there a few minutes.  They will become homeless once Old Main is gone. 

An outfit called Massachusetts Development Corporation bought the whole place for a dollar.  The entire thing, grounds and all.  They intend to put a whole little village thing there, shops and apartments and whatnot.  All new buildings.  People can contact them for permission to go and take exterior pictures but they're not very nice to deal with and they're getting very tough on security, prosecutng people, so if anyone goes, do use care and sense, and do expect to deal with a real live cop at some point.  Interiors, I wouldn't, the place is collapsing inside.  Only people who really know the inside of the place can deal with it without getting hurt.

If you google Smith College, whose campus abuts NSH, they do have some searchable archives and photos of the place in its heyday when it was once beautiful.

Offline lindaz

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 11:25:34 AM »
We have a semi-rough first edit of our Northampton trip, about 7 minutes long with audio, is that something we could share here if anyone is interested?  The first half is exterior footage with music, the second half is in the Morgue.  Happy to share it here if anyone would like to see it.

Offline QuaZman

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 08:14:16 PM »
So people can no longer enter in on their own? Is there 24/7 security over there?

Offline H

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 12:08:47 AM »
There is security 24/7. As of last week, the main building was still standing. I have no idea what the latest is, but I am absolutely dreading it's demolition. I haven't heard of anyone actually getting arrested, but people frequently get caught and told to leave. They might take your picture for records if they're bored, but that's the worst I've ever heard. I've gotten inside twice the past month with no problems, though the last time we had to duck when a cop car drove by us. They also very recently installed a blindingly bright light right in the middle of the courtyard which is a bit intimidating. You can see everything at night now. I haven't finished exploring the building, but the dangerous parts I've been to have been pretty obvious. Y'know, stay away from the giant holes in the floors and obey the graffiti on the walls and floors. It's dangerous and you definitely need to be careful and walk slowly, certainly watch out for sketchy-looking floors, but I haven't heard of anyone ever getting seriously injured in that place. Still though, be very cautious.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 12:13:08 AM by H »

Offline Prometheus

• Contributor
  • The New SquatTeam.org
    • The Squat Team - SquatTeam.Org
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 10:37:47 AM »
thanks for the info H.
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.