Looking for mental asylums close to NYC

Started by ilchaco, January 27, 2005, 02:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I am shooting a short experimental film and need an old mental asylum? Anybody know any place near new york city - well 2 hours at the most by car...? Some place like the Taunton state hospital, perhaps?

thanks!

I got a short film I shot at  the roosevelt island old mental home. and pics of the military fort in staten island, where how do i post?  

theres too many to choose from. hudson in poughkeepise, pilgram, kings park on LI. if you want a real shitty place in a graffiti covered, burned out way, farm colony on staten island...

March 08, 2005, 01:46:05 AM #4 Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 12:07:32 AM by roggah
Nice to see a fellow film maker here! :)

I live in Staten Island, but unfortunately I can only tell you about places you CAN'T go to. This is important, since some sites are outdated as some have been very recently been closed.

Most people know this by now (hopefully), but Mt. Loretto burned down a while ago.

The popular Monastery is now completely cemented in. The broken windows are still open, but they're just in front of the newly cemented walls. The only way to get in would be breaking the lock at the front entrance, and I'd rather get a shooting permit before doing that.

There's a goldmine of an old hospital on the north shore., but that just got boarded up (half assedly) last year. They're just doing it because some (unofficial) person has been renting out the apartment building on the property, and want to at least make the appearance that someone owns the property now. You can still get in through a window, but if you're bringing in expensive equipment I'd recommend something more straight forward.

There's still Ft. Wadsworth to check out. I haven't seen the main building yet, but the few small buildings scattered around are neat.

If you want any help or just need someone to help crew/explore, PM me.

(oh btw I was posting as tex-murph before, but some glitch happened and the server changed my name)