Mount Airy Lodge: Going, Going, Gone

Started by PaExplorations, February 26, 2005, 11:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
How would you like to furnish your home just like your favorite rustic mountain getaway? You may want to consider heading out to the Poconos.

Mount Airy Lodge has been sold and the new owner wants to get rid of all the stuff inside so he's putting it all on the auction block. Everything from tables to TVs line a temporary auction house at Mount Airy. It's all up for grabs at the giant public auction coming up the first weekend in March.

There is no starting bid: you can decide how much to pay for an item. "Some things will go for a dollar and some things will go for thousands. (It) really depends. The crowd determines the price," said Robert Teel of Teels Auction.

Apart from ordinary hotel items, collectors are eyeing up a few particular things, including the furnishings and fixtures from 1970's singer Engleburt Humperdink's room. "Engleburt Humperdink's room, the room that they built primarily for him when he used to play here, has had a great deal of interest," explained Teel.

There are also some Mount Airy Lodge signature shell-carved head boards, mirrors and heart-shaped tubs as well as 900 pound lion statues from the original owner's private collection. All of that is upstairs. There's more downstairs, where industrial size kitchen appliances are.

The 60,000 square foot venue where the auction will be held was originally a sports center. Robert Teel said if they can't fit everything in there for the initial offering, the auctioneer may have a follow up sale.

The hall will be open for public viewing this weekend from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The auction will be held the weekend after on March 5 and 6 beginning at 9:00 a.m.
auction link

Gee just what I always wanted-- a 900 pound lion statue.
Does it sing, "Make the world go away"?   :lol:  

i want one of those heart shaped tubs!! i will use it as a swimming pool in th back yard..tee hee

I still remember the TV commercials for this place. I wish them luck selling all that junk. I know some big resorts change out all their room furnishings once or twice a year and actually pay companies to remove everything 9which they can then turn around and sell again for more profit...).

Check out all the mold on the fitness equipment, yeah that will sell.  
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

i wonder if any of those golf carts work? that would come in handy for exploring...hahaha