MTV's fear

Started by boris, March 11, 2004, 02:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
so i just came across a website dedicated to the aforementioned show while i was looking up crap on the eastern state penn.
i have only seen a segment of the one episode where they went to the fairfield state hospital, and i didn't watch the whole thing for some reason or another.
i was just wondering what other people's take on this show was. personally, the impression i get is that it is based on a neat idea (exploring abandoned places) but that idea doesn't really translate into a good TV program, especially by the likes of MTV, which is not so much interested in the actual history of a location as much as the hype that can be generated about it. there are enough problems with people ruining locations already by vandalizing them as well as going about explorations in stunningly stupid ways, thus brining police attention to locations (ahem LADD). i'm not sure this show won't exacerbate this problem. (DOUBLE NEGATIVE!!! where ARE my grammer skills?)
i am not saying all MTV watchers are shitheads who have no right to explore, and i apolgize if i came off as an elitist, i didn't mean to. certainly, there is no problem if someone sees the show and decides to check out some locations in an intellegent manner, i just honestly feel like MTV has tainted/destroyed almost every rad thing it has touched through bastardization and excessive commercialization, it would be a shame if it did the same thing to UE.
arr, just me 2cents.

i`ve seen the show along time ago and its total bullshit/its all a set up/iv seen the episode of dracula`s castle where they would send each person out by themselves or in pairs to do stupid dares and such/people would bang shit around,open ,close doors,etc. to scare them/leave it up to mtv to try to cash in on ANYTHING/it`s cool to think that people got into exploring, but i doubt it/people are real scared to walk on the street at night never mind go into an old building (thanks to hollywood)

Yeah, I agree.  By default it's going to portray UE in a watered-down way.  
Explore, Archive, Share

I never considered it UE some of the sites were worthy but remember before the contestants go in, the crew already ran the coax and placed the cameras in those spooky locations.
"Sit in this room with your light off and no radio contact for 30 minutes" or "shut off your light and wait out the state trooper, who decided outside your only exit was a good place to do paperwork." yeah ill take the TV show.  
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

especially since you'll be awarded with money on the show for sitting in a morgue or somthing for 30 mins. in real life you get awarded with not arrest.  

ditching authority is half the fun, especially if their walking 10 feet from you/whats even better is it doesnt cost anything and if youre lucky you can score some items to bring home/reclaiming what was forgotten

Me personally, i watched all the Fear shows and i thought it was total bullshit.  they make things up about the places they are going to like the Inn at BUck Hill falls. no one was killed there blah blah blah.....no wonder the show went off the air. let our ue underground where we belong...lol we wanna dodge authority  undercover not with cameras rolling.......nuff said. Hey boris, eastern state  opens back up in april or may , you have to sign a waiver and wear a hard hat to take the tour, but i hear it is well worth it. we are planning on going down after its not so friggin cold.  anyone wanna go along??

oooh yeah, i wanted to take a tour of eastern state in march when i was driving down south but the tours haven't started yet. based on what i read the tours are pretty cool. if you go, let me know how it is, because sometime before i die i'd like to check it out if it is worth it.  

April 13, 2004, 09:22:25 PM #8 Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 09:24:08 PM by boris
hadn't started even.
...i just realized i could edit the gramatical errors in my posts without posting a new one. cool.  

Well, well, well boys Curr and Boris and the CEO's. The Slade Man has got a few ideas about making a UE show or a DVD video. It's got history adventure danger booze and maybe a few ladies!!!  I'm putting together a package idea and doing a presention in The Black Forest for dakeil and Skully and would like to have some other members of IB join.  The presention is sponsered by Budweiser!!!!!! :D  

ya got any gingerale

the show is bs.  there is no way legaly thay could cover themselves if one of the shows participants got hurt unless it was staged that way ahead of time. the production crews would attract attention and the cops would have them removed. its a great idea but to people who explore we all know its a bunch of crap.

nut
history is always eroding

I HEAR YA BROTHA/WE DONT NEED NO MONEY FOR MOTIVATION

There's actually a show called Scared in Staten Island that's aired on my community TV channel. It's pretty legit and fun to watch. Just hard to find when it's on. They just explore at night with flashlights and explain the (non fabricated) history of the location they're at.

I tried emailing them and asking to join, but they didn't respond >:|.  

September 26, 2004, 08:43:14 AM #14 Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 08:43:58 AM by Skully
Cool.  Since it's community access, I expect that it is public domain.  Can you get us a copy of an episode?  Private Message me here on the forum if you can do that.
Explore, Archive, Share

eastern state is well worth the 9 bucks they charge to get in because basically your on your own once your in....i took over 200 pics of that place and am wanting to go back. as for this fear bullshit...thats just what it is, i wish someone would give me money for staying in an abandoned place all night, shit i would be a rich mofo....

I've done it for free.
Abandoned locations can hide but they can't run

well arent you just special...... :P  

Yes, and not the good special. :huh:  

aha, nice signature Andrew

gives me a chill just thinking about it.

QuoteIt's got history adventure danger booze and maybe a few ladies!!!  

Um excuse me,
I would like to see some Chippendale Men in g-strings!   :P
Ya know equal Opportunity here!

BTW, MTV sucks and so does that show!!

The only thing that sucks is your attitude.

QuoteThe only thing that sucks is your attitude.
excuse me?

QuoteThe only thing that sucks is your attitude.
excuse me?
Exactly

Just bustin on ya, didn't mean to offend.

**off topic**

Ok Andrew.
If i ever overstep boundaries here, ya gotta let me know.
You all seem like cool people, just figured I would get in on the conversation.

It would be pretty hard to overstep boundaries here.
You're right, there are some very cool people who participate in this forum.
Once in a while things will get so f**ked up and off topic that Skully will have to come in and lay the smack down. But we deserve it.
I may have some rare form of tourette that causes me to bust balls uncontrollably. Usually the best remedy is to tell me to go f**k myself.