users and vandals

Started by PaExplorations, March 03, 2004, 08:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
ok give me an opinion on this. i met this chick, we went exploring together one day to centralia. she saw my pics on my site and proceeded to find where the secret ones are and went and vandalized one of them, which being was a place over 150 years old and very historic to my little village. do i have a right to be pissed or am i just being a girl?

I think I can actually field this one:

first off, being a girl isn't that bad, speaking from experience....seriously though, everyone has a right to their own emotions. whether or not you have grounds for said emotions, can really just be based on social contract standards. Now I personally can't say whether or not you have a "right" to be pissed, I do feel however, that you have definate grounds for experiencing that emotion. This female individual went to areas you had a personal connection/experience with and she acted in a way that you, and those who would share your views, think was disrespectful to the area-and thus vicariously disrespectful to you. As far as vandalism goes, there is two types I am aware of:
1.mindless/calculated destruction of an area
2. graffiti or tagging
now both types of vandalism consist of alterations to an area, or objects in an area, that changes the state in an unnatural way. Preservationists/documentationists find vandalism an atrocious act. Most of the people I have encountered on this board and the U.E. enthusiasts in general seem to feel this way, although I personally am not as devoted to this as the rest of the group, I have often thought of it as urban archaeology, and I've never seen Indiana jones take a dump in one of the chalises, although that may be in the deleted scenes on the dvd.
On the other side of things I can say that there are also understandable intentions for vandalism.
1.destruction comes natural to human beings, theorists think it to be an innate animal characteristic evelotion has yet to shed. I myself can admit to having enjoyed the sound of shattering glass and the physics of a baseball bat and its interaction with other objects.
2. I am also a big fan of graffiti as an art form, but that is not the typical form one finds in the sites explored among these groups... the other is just really tagging, things like "mike was here '89" "blow donkey" "hail satan" "slade rulez" and other nonsense like that. this i feel is a result of a persons subconsious fear of death. something we all share on some level, and that desire to leave a mark, in the hopes that in 10 years someone will read "blow donkey" and it will somehow validate the authors existence, and a legacy will continue.....
Keep in mind that this is just my humble opinion, but I feel it just comes down to you and this chick you met having different intentions in relation to the pastime you have chosen. So my advice is don't spend your time with this individual, or go to her house and dump on her pillow. either way i feel the message will be clear and your current emotion will subside.
Good luck
Dr. Coach

I erased another user's response per request.
Explore, Archive, Share

ok ok here is the deal, the vandalism was just destruction. breaking doors that kind of thing, and yeah we have probably all been there dont that. tagging and the like, it happens  nothing we can do about it.  i have since talked to this person and they assure me it wasnt them, i said ok and said well im not into that kind of thing anyhow and i dont trust you etc etc, end of  story. im over my fit of anger, and  learned my lesson. and yes i think i really like being a girl and am gonna stay that way.....wait i think 35 makes me a woman now dont it...... :lol:    thanks for that long ass opinion to coach and nice to meet you also!

hey hey my pleasure! it's not often there are questions I can actually respond to with my limited expertise, so when it happens i'm on it like slade on coc......wait that's way to easy :D
oh yeah... slade rulez!!!