Author Topic: gas mask/respirator?  (Read 13416 times)

Offline boris

• Out of the Closet
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
    • http://
gas mask/respirator?
« on: February 18, 2004, 10:21:31 PM »
any of you dudes worry about the hazmat signs that are all over many an abandoned place? particularly asbestos...?  i got an old russian gas mask with filters for very cheap on ebay. the visibility sucks and i can't hear a GOD DAMN thing when i am wearing it, but uhh...it was cheap. and it looks cool.
hey speaking of asbestos, have you all seen the movie SESSION 9?
if not, see it. now.

gas mask/respirator?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 07:35:32 AM »
SESSION 9 is awesome.  It was so good I copied the rental DVD  :D .

On the asbestos, yes.  It's very important to wear something in these freaking places.  It's not harmful if you go in steath by yourself but if you're going in with a group of people FAGGETABOUTIT.  All the asbestos dust that has settled gets kicked up from people's shoes scruffing by.  The russian gas mask sounds like a good idea.  We go in with medium-quality masks and they seem to work out just fine.  

Unfortunately, infiltration.org reports, "...Asbestos fibers are so small that they will go right through the various inexpensive dust mask type products. For real protection against asbestos a person needs at the very least a half face respirator equipped with high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters. These respirators are usually available at painting supply houses or at safety specialty stores. In reality the amount of asbestos a person would be exposed to on a one time expedition into an abandoned building would probably be minimal, but it's better to be safe than sorry."

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
gas mask/respirator?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 04:52:22 PM »
The moderator (me) is too stupid to log in sometimes.   :rolleyes:  
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline sneaker

• Lurker-Tourist
gas mask/respirator?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 11:31:07 PM »
note about asbestos

Time as an industrial security guard earned me a little inslide information. There aren't many places you need to really worry about asbestos even when its posted all over the buildings.

The TRUTH: yes asbestos can hurt you but not unless you are exposed on either a daily basis or the air is saturated with the dust. Doesn't hurt to be safe though. For enviromental and safety issues any locations with exposed asbestos containing materials is required by laws to post warning all over hell and gone. Most of the dust in old buildings is actually caused by concrete. Even brande new buildings shed concrete dust all over the place. Thats why drop ceilings are so common in buildings that 2nd floor up have concrete floors. Even when the ceiling is 50 ft up.

If your worried about asbestos stay away from PIPES! thats were most of the asbestos is located. On all the pipes running around the building. ANy fibrous (or fiberglass looking) material hanging off anything iin old buildings probobly contains asbestos. Also if you see anything that looks like its sprayed on the ceiling or metal beams ( clumpy looking ) thats probobly old fireprotection or insulation that contains asbestos. Your fine as long as you don't know any of it loose.

If you do knock it loose blow out all your are without taking a breath and get away from the area before taking a breath. The danger is ithe fibers getting stuck in your lungs not on you.

Offline Dakiel

• Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +7/-1
    • http://www.insanebunkers.com
gas mask/respirator?
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 11:54:07 PM »
More concerned about mold and other airborne paths went through a place without my mask and hacked for weeks.  
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

Offline MikeDijital

• Contributor
  • Retirement Sucked
    • http://www.dijitalphotography.com
gas mask/respirator?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 11:12:58 PM »
The easiest thing to do , Get a breather type mask with Purple  , or Purple and yellow filters,

Purple filters asbestos, yellow, filters out alot of the molds you encounter
Guess who's back!

Offline Photohunter

• Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
    • http://www.insanebunkers.com
gas mask/respirator?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 11:15:58 AM »
More concerned about mold and other airborne paths went through a place without my mask and hacked for weeks.
Yeah bud.
I recall wading around in foot deep standing water that has been underground for 100 years.
I grew a couple of extra toes on that one. Not to mention I smelled like a homeless person's crotch.
Yeah, those were the good old days. :D  
Abandoned locations can hide but they can't run

Offline Zombie Warfare

• Lurker-Tourist
  • Bara hack Cemetary
Re: gas mask/respirator?
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 06:17:28 PM »
IF you want a good gas mask that'll protect you from even the most caustic of chemical agents and mould spores, get one of these: http://www.nbcgasmask.com/gasmasks/m40-mask.htm << Millitary grade gas mask, like the ones we're using in Iraq. Get one of those, and you'll be set for a very long time -- no need to worry about polluting your lungs then.

Offline Prometheus

• Contributor
  • The New SquatTeam.org
    • The Squat Team - SquatTeam.Org
Re: gas mask/respirator?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 07:56:57 PM »
for the low low price of $268.99... ouch
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.