Author Topic: Sneech Pond, Cumberland, RI Copper Mine Part Two  (Read 13271 times)

Offline Tendonitis

• Lurker-Tourist
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
Sneech Pond, Cumberland, RI Copper Mine Part Two
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:43:02 PM »
So about two years ago there was a thread about the possibility of a copper mine near the resevoir in Cumberland, I think I may have found the remnants of it today.

http://imgur.com/a/Gxxyr

My friend and I trekked out there today, it was raining and I wasn't equipped with my best camera. We stumbled upon a large rocky slope, it there was a mine, it would be there, the surrounding area is relatively flat in comparison. The only mine-like entrance we found was towards the underside of a large boulder, it looked as if it had been intentionally filled in, the pictures don't show a great depiction of depth but where it wasn't filled in seemed to go pretty deep. Too deep to be a natural occurence. About 4 feet in front of the "entrance" was a roughly 2'3' brick hole with a very old, flimsy aluminum door. It had lead down into the ground, also filled in.

Nearby was a swamp with a very old car in it, beyond the car looked like a cement foundatiion that we weren't able to check out: by the time we had found it, we were water-logged and as I took the photo of the car, my friend starting noticing snakes around the perimeter of the small swamp. Not sure if they were poisonous, didn't get a good look.

Nothing too conclusive found today, Ill go back on a brighter, dryer day with snake-resistant clothing. This could be something interesting in my little podunk town, cumbersome Cumberland.

Also worth noting, near the mine's "entrance" was a much more modern black hose coming out from the ground. it wasn't attached to anything on the other end. Too deliberate to be garbage. It seemed like it was for draining or ventilating the area of the "mine," even though the mine seeming caved in. I'm considering the possibility of another entrance, though we searched the area fairly extensively.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:04:00 PM by Tendonitis »

Offline Dakiel

• Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +7/-1
    • http://www.insanebunkers.com
Re: Sneech Pond, Cumberland, RI Copper Mine Part Two
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:30:51 PM »
Interesting Photos, curious as to what the glass object being held up by you or friend is?
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

Offline CarbonCavi

• Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +18/-11
    • MYSPACE!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »
Interesting read! loving the pictures. especially the car!
Im lethal from a 2nd gear roll.

Offline Villain

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +6/-3
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:47:07 PM »
I'm not sure if there are any indigenous poisonous snakes in RI.  Interesting find though.  have you looked at any old town records or stuff like that?

Offline skullduggery

• Lurker-Tourist
    • New England Explorers
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »
Hi, There are actually several mine shaft and quarries in that area. What you found was the tunnel. Heading west up the hill are the remains of two mine shaft. They also have been filled but still easy to recognize. In between the tunnel and the shafts are the mine dumps. In the dumps you can still find copper, pyrite, malachite, azurite, epidote, actinolite, molybdenite, garnet, and many more. You can find some info on the mine and it mineral here. http://www.mindat.org/loc-6737.html

I've been to the mine several time and found many fantastic minerals including those I mentioned. This coming weekend I'm returning to dig through the dumps again and try to send a video probe into the tunnel to see what lies beyond the entrance.

If you like I can send you a map showing the location of the shafts and quarries in reference to the tunnel.

BTW, I'd worry more about deer ticks than snakes. I often have found several of them on me after my visits.

~Skullduggery
Urban and Outdoor Explorer of New England
www.neexplorers.org
www.strangene.com

Offline donnabhain

• InsaneKarma: +7/-25
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 01:23:32 PM »
Would the entrance be dynamited or just filled in? if it's just filled in why not put in some work and dig it out? :P  I've had to dig a ways into backfilled forts before. If the rocks are too big just bring a carjack, they work well to remove large boulders ;)

Offline skullduggery

• Lurker-Tourist
    • New England Explorers
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »
H Insane Bunkers,

its been a long while, but thought I'd add an update to this page. We recently did a story on RI gold mine from the past that included the Copper Hill Mine. Along with the story we have a google map showing its location, and a video looking inside the now blocked 200' tunnel. We thought you might be interested. Here is the link. Enjoy!

Lost Gold Mines in New England
http://www.strange-new-england.com/2017/04/18/lost-gold-mines-new-england/

~Skullduggery
www.strange-new-england.com
www.neexplorers.org

Urban and Outdoor Explorer of New England
www.neexplorers.org
www.strangene.com