Author Topic: Danvers Tours?!?!  (Read 19828 times)

Offline cobalt

• Out of the Closet
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
    • http://
Danvers Tours?!?!
« on: September 15, 2004, 05:53:05 PM »
have you guys heard about an organization in Danver, Mass is giving tours of Danvers State?  (posably the historical society) i called today to find out...i think that they are free, they are in groups of 20 and its actualy Legal (they even put an add in the newspaper).  unfortunely they have alot of rules for this tour, you have to be over 18 and im not sure you can take pictures.  im asuming that they are doing this because danvers is scedualed for demolition.

Offline Photohunter

• Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
    • http://www.insanebunkers.com
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 07:36:33 PM »
danvers is scheduled for demolition.
It hurts me to see those words. Another one of a kind piece of architecture and history down the toilet. Enjoy while you can. :angry:  
Abandoned locations can hide but they can't run

Offline Rally19

• Contributor
    • http://
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 11:00:18 PM »
same thing is happening to metropolitan state, its being turned into a golf course soon.  Go figure.

Offline Photohunter

• Trusted Member
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 06:23:59 AM »
Golf course fell though. High end condos now. Some construction has already started. Few buildings will survive. Profit before preservation.

Offline SOSaD

• Lurker-Tourist
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 04:16:20 PM »
Hey went to DSH today and man whata mess the admin building is. Seems as though it was torched becasue in soom of the halls and rooms there are burn marks....???? Any one have any info??? Also the ceiling is sagging vionly and asbestos is all over the place so i suggest getting there quick becase the end is soon!!!

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 05:48:46 PM »
Good info SOSaD.  Thanks for the update and welcome to the forum.
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline military nut

• Trusted Member
  • Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +2/-0
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 01:00:54 PM »
there was a fire there a few weeks ago in the second floor of the administration building.  1856.org has a forum on mass state hospitals and i got a report from there
history is always eroding

Offline LJ151

• Lurker-Tourist
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 07:49:13 AM »
Hey all....I'm new to the forum here, I just stumbled across it this morning--great job with the site and all of your other accomplishements!!   Anyways I visited Danvers last Tuesday (October 26th) and was able to take pictures for about an hour and a half.  The cemetaries were deemed off limits and while my friend and I tried to sneak down a pathway to them a security guard somehow followed us and made us leave.  I had already gotten a ton of pics though.  If anyone is interested in seeing the pics just let me know and I can post them for download.

Offline metalwitch

Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 08:11:15 AM »
Hey all....I'm new to the forum here, I just stumbled across it this morning--great job with the site and all of your other accomplishements!!   Anyways I visited Danvers last Tuesday (October 26th) and was able to take pictures for about an hour and a half.  The cemetaries were deemed off limits and while my friend and I tried to sneak down a pathway to them a security guard somehow followed us and made us leave.  I had already gotten a ton of pics though.  If anyone is interested in seeing the pics just let me know and I can post them for download.
Hey LJ.
I would like to see your pics.  

Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 09:32:35 AM »
Cool--I will post a link to a zip file available for download....or if you would like me to email them to you I can...The pics have not been resized from their orginal resolution so they are kind of big right now.....I have two zip files right now and each one is about 25 mbs.   so however you would like to recieve them let me know.  I am going to eventually make a little website for all of the pics but have not started that yet...obviously.

Offline LJ151

• Lurker-Tourist
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 09:48:20 AM »
woops...I posted as guest by accident....I am on a different pc and forgot to login..Anyways I was wrong about the file sizes.  Here is a link to a zip file that is 59mb and has 49 pictures of Danvers.  I will post a link to the other zip later tonight which is for about 80 more pics...some simillar to these but still cool to look at.  Let me know what you think...

Pics set 1

If the size of this zip file is a problem for some people to download, just let me know and I will get it way down...I just dont have the time to right this moment.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 09:50:25 AM by LJ151 »

Offline LJ151

• Lurker-Tourist
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 05:38:18 PM »
Ok Here is the link to the second zip file of pics...this file is about 60mb and contains about 80 pics.  Like I said before if there are people having trouble downloading these due to size just let me know and I will repost them at a more reasonable resoution.

Pics set 2

Claims to beharleygrl618

Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 10:35:33 AM »
ya their tearing it down, but its gonna be condos...im pissed.
but we are doing an investigation in there soon, ill send pics!!!

Offline Photohunter

• Trusted Member
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 03:10:04 PM »
What kind of investigation?

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
    • InsaneBunkers
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2004, 10:47:03 PM »
Ok Here is the link to the second zip file of pics...this file is about 60mb and contains about 80 pics.  Like I said before if there are people having trouble downloading these due to size just let me know and I will repost them at a more reasonable resoution.

Pics set 2
Hey LJ151,
I finally got to check out your pics.  Very nice.  I'm surprised you guys got to roam around that long :blink: !  Thanks for pics.
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline LJ151

• Lurker-Tourist
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 02:08:59 PM »
Cool I'm glad that you liked the pics...It was a blast being able to freely walk around...We did manage to get kicked out though as we tried to sneak down to the cemetaries which are unfortunately deemed off limits to visitors :(  I want to go to other places like Danvers and take photos, just have a hard time finding spare time these days.

ashtar666

Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2004, 03:33:27 PM »
why the hell would they want to tear down dsh . i cant wait to go and see it up close in person.

ashtar666

Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2004, 03:37:41 PM »
if anyone has ay info on when they r gona tear dsh down could you send me an e-mail to let me know when they r gona do it so i can go there befor they do thanx

my e-mail is  mdg-heh@comcast.com

Offline metalwitch

Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2004, 03:44:35 PM »
noob alert!

Offline MikeDijital

• Contributor
  • Retirement Sucked
    • http://www.dijitalphotography.com
Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 09:56:13 PM »
*** Noobie Sirens go off ***

Danvers cannot be torn down till all the proper permits are aquired by Avalon Bay, The deal was set for January 15 2005, but due to the big dig backing up mass hiways permit department, They were not able to secure the permit, thus pushing the deal forward to Sept 15 2005. Now if at that time they do not fully have all the permits once again, they will be force to rewrite the entire dael and start from scratch, A good friend of mine is John Archer chairman of the Danvers State Hospital Preservation commitee. He belives if this happpens Avalon Bay will back out, leaving bidder number 3 ( the name escapes me at the moment ) but they are commited to saving the ENTIRE complex,

So we wait, and pray for the Avalon deal to fall through. But know you have till at least Sept 15 2005.

. Mike
Guess who's back!

Offline CarbonCavi

• Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +18/-11
    • MYSPACE!
Re: Danvers Tours?!?!
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 07:53:05 PM »
anyway someone can get in contact to get those two sets of zip files back up? i would really like to view them, i was talking to someone i work with today, an older guy in his early 60s, he used to live 10 mins from danvers. he said the place was scarey even in day time on a sunny day. ( this was back when it was open ) he said the whole place just gave off a spooky vibe, and it lurks on a hilltop and its just like something out of a scarey movie, i unfortunitly have never gotten to see it in person, except for session 9 lol, but i would like to take a trip up there sometime soon before its COMPLETELY modernized if you would like to even call it that.
Im lethal from a 2nd gear roll.

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
    • InsaneBunkers
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 09:25:46 PM »
CarbonCavi,
Those Zip files were unzipped and added to the site.  Unfortunately LJ151 is no longer frequents the site so I just posted them here in the Photos-Video-Audio area of the site:

Member galleries > skully > Danvers State- Daylight Outside Shots
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline CarbonCavi

• Trusted Member
    • MYSPACE!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2006, 09:33:06 PM »
ah, i saw those, they came out great, i would really like to get up to that place sometime soon.

Offline xleahsucksx

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 12:25:39 AM »
im new to this forum, but i wanted to know if this building was still standing, i went to it sometime last year during the fall and it was, but security cars chased mea nd my friends out. i would really like to go back there and check it out but im not actually sure of way to get in. i dont want to waste time outside of it looking for ways to get in when they have security personel driving around it to catch me, any tips?

Offline urbanexploringwitch

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2006, 11:15:22 PM »
im new to this forum, but i wanted to know if this building was still standing, i went to it sometime last year during the fall and it was, but security cars chased mea nd my friends out. i would really like to go back there and check it out but im not actually sure of way to get in. i dont want to waste time outside of it looking for ways to get in when they have security personel driving around it to catch me, any tips?

They no longer offer tours, the last was last year in Nov i believe. Also a large chunk of the main building is gone as well as about 5 other buildings spread out on the hill including a church, a womans TB building and some others. They started arresting anyone they see on the spot, not even giving them the chance to explain why they are there. They seriously dont want people there. I went on the last legal tour and at the same time the contractor and demolition crew were there discussing their plans. it sucked.

Offline CarbonCavi

• Trusted Member
    • MYSPACE!
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2006, 11:22:08 PM »
i was under the impression they were leaving the main building and converting it to condos and other things...

Offline urbanexploringwitch

• Out of the Closet
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2006, 01:59:03 PM »
The main building is staying and they are converting it to condos, the graveyard is going to supposedly, havent heard any more of it happening, but is supposedly going to have a memorial for the patients, but a large chunk of the other buildings are coming down including the 2 churches and the gray house.

Offline LJ151

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2006, 12:23:41 AM »
I know that there hasn't been activity on this post for awhile...but I justed wanted to let everyone know that I am back...hopefully I'll try doing my part in bringing some interesting things on my end of the state to the board.  I posted all of the danvers photos about a month ago before realizing that Skully had posted them in one of his albums...so I guess they're on here twice...hehe oh well.

Offline blackned_wings

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 09:28:47 AM »
It is such a shame and so, so wrong that something so historic and beautiful is being torn apart for CONDO's of all things...

I tried to see your pictures but it isnt working : /

Is there any way you can post them again or email them to me?

Blackned_ wings@yahoo.com

Offline Prometheus

• Contributor
  • The New SquatTeam.org
    • The Squat Team - SquatTeam.Org
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 12:53:17 PM »
this is a really really old topic. you can check out pics here:
http://www.insanebunkers.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=58
http://dijitalphotography.com/gallery/home.html
opacity.us has some amazing pictures but its not loading for me right now
or even check out some of the sites here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Danvers+State+Hospital+Pictures
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.