Fort Wetherill

Started by cobalt, September 11, 2004, 08:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
i have recently visited fort wetherill several times...its a very fun place, although those damn vandals realy ruined alot of it    

i had a few questons if anyone knows the answers id apriciate it

-well i was wondering if anyone knows where i could find like a floor plan of the fort (or one of a similar fort) because my friends and i wonders what most of the rooms were actualy used for.   (and we have no clue as to the purpose of thouse liittle tunnle things with the rusted "gun racks")

-whitch of the forts in rhode island/mass are the largest/most interesting/open/legal etc?

get this book, it has maps and history of all narragansett bay defenses.  It is by Walter Schroader he also wrote one spacificly on fort greable/dutch island.  
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

September 12, 2004, 10:14:02 AM #2 Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 09:16:48 PM by skully
Yeah...  Weve been working on a casual research project of that place for a good amount of years.  Dakiel is on the mark- that book is our bible for fortifications in RI. 

Heres a pic to help you.  I overlayed a aerial shot with the old map.
Explore, Archive, Share

nice thankyou

is it true that there is a level that is underground and un-accesable?

Yes

inaccessible? I am disappointed to here that word used.
Abandoned locations can hide but they can't run

as am i , i keep feeling like there is still another part to that place i havent found yet....

not that it is inaccessable, it's just buried. there was a pillbox in front of where the big, This Fort Contains... ,signis.  it was knocked down, and big rocks placed over the manhole/ladders leading down to the lover section in the early 80's these were partially filled in but you could climb down 3-4 feet. the effort to dig out these without positive knowledge of if they go anywhere, was never attempted by any of our group.  also there are lookout/pillboxes covered as well.  

Filled intentionally?
Abandoned locations can hide but they can't run

yes by the government or the state to make the site "safer" there were never any fences back then. infact The king and i were there one night in the parking lot getting ready to rappell and we heard a kid fall, we called a rescue and went to help he had been drinking with his friends in the pillbox closest to the parking lot walked out the door, off the stairs, and fell 20+ feet. he's lucky to have lived.  

He was damn lucky. You set a new standard.
UE&DR (Urban Exploration & Dumbass Recovery)
It's a shame. Your not talking about an old nut house, that is hard core American history.
Did they burn some books while they were at it?

i orderd that book from the library along with another one called like "abandond newengland"  

i also went to nathanial greene today. which seemed alot smaller than i was expecting

About Fort Greene .. This fort is actually not that small ....most of the lower levels are not accessable anymore due to the DEM attempting to make  to fort more safe.  According to the research I've done all 3 Fort Greene Bunkers are linked together.   But most of the lower levels are either sealed off or filled with Water..Too bad I couldn't of been born 20 years earlier.. :lol:  

Quotei orderd that book from the library along with another one called like "abandond newengland"  
Is that Abandoned NewEngland  book available at say like Borders?
Or does anyone know if it is strictly a library gig?

i did get the abandond newengland book, its actualy not that good,  it focuses on buildings that are like 100-200 years old,  and for the most part, none of the places looked that good (excluding one or two).  i took it out at the cranston public library if your interested, although they ordered it from somware randome.

i found the other fort green bunker, the one thats further in the park,  although we couldnt get in,  all of its entrances have been sealed shut rather well
(id realy like to find out how to get into thouse lower levels now!)

December 18, 2004, 11:57:40 AM #15 Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 11:59:35 AM by OU812DV
About the back bunker at Fort Greene .. I have not been inside in about 10 years ...   but the back bunker is 2 levels ..There used to be a ladder to get down to the bunker from the top of the Hill...   Thats How we used to get in inside  

1 Large room that has most of the lights falling off the roof
 1 Room that appears to be a old bathroom.  (Smashed Urinals)
  1 Hallway
  Im sure there are other rooms in the bunker that I don't remember  Ill try to get a map of the back bunker and post it .... (Just remember there is always a way inside)  :D

yea we saw that ladder on the top of the hill, the metal lid to it has been welded shut, although it is bent up in one part so you can see inside

well... ive lived in ri my hole life (sadly) ive been to fort wetherill on several counts i can say theres some stuff most people haven't seen way before there where even that white fence or any warning signs (not like that matters) :)

ja mon ill need to edit this point soon(ish)
me and some peepz goin up to fort adams and wetherill ill finaly get some of the good pics

Don't be shy.  Upload your own user gallery dude.
Explore, Archive, Share

stil firgurin all this stuff out

i saw some pics on google of a marina, yet one night when i went to the top of the rocks i could not see it in any direction ( full moon so i could see clearly ) any idea of where it is or how to get there? IS it still there?