Author Topic: Prep Shop Fire - DSS Campus  (Read 7280 times)

Offline Kurt

• PlymouthCountyHospital
  • Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +39/-11
  • life is not a waiting room.
Prep Shop Fire - DSS Campus
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »
Pardon me for the news article.

A fire broke out at the former Paul A. Dever State School campus in Taunton on Sunday night.

The Taunton Fire Department responded to the fire at 10:40 p.m., battled it for about five hours and remained at the scene until early Monday afternoon to put the blaze out completely.

No one was inside the building at the time of the fire and no firefighters were injured battling the blaze, said Taunton Fire Deputy Chief Mike Silvia.

Silvia said that he is doubtful the Fire Department will discover the cause of the fire or determine where it started because when firefighters arrived the building was fully engulfed in flames.

“On arrival, the building was fully involved,” Silvia said.

However, Silvia said he believes someone was in the building, leading to the blaze.

“Someone had to be in there to start the fire,” Silvia said. “Whether accidentally or intentionally, we’ll never know unless someone comes forward, because the fire on arrival had a good head start.”

Silvia said there have been police reports about homeless people sleeping at the property, which is now owned by the city and is set to become part of the nearby Myles Standish Industrial Park as it expands in the future. Silvia also said there have been thieves stripping copper and other material from the building.

Silvia said earlier on Sunday night police were chasing someone who was reportedly stealing copper from the Dever campus.

Taunton Police Sgt. Richard Carreiro confirmed around 9 p.m. on Sunday a security guard at the Dever property reported that someone was heard moving material out of the Fenton building, which was unsecured. But police checked the building and no one was inside.

Carreiro said the investigating officer was Bob McDonald, who didn’t immediately respond to a message requesting comment on Monday.

Since the state school for the mentally disabled was fully closed in 2002, it has been the target of arson.

A group of teens was charged with setting fires to an abandoned residential building at Dever on Jan. 2, 2009.

A building was completely destroyed by a suspicious fire that broke out on Nov. 27, 2009.

-- What this news article didn't mention was that the Prep Shop which burned to the ground in the fire the other night was one of the historic buildings on the Dever campus. Built before the State School campus, it was one of the few remaining buildings from Camp Myles Standish, a former WWII military base (and canditate for the United Nations) which held German POW's and was a departure place for over 1,000,000 US and allied soldiers during the war. During the 1950's is when the State School buildings were built and the others were razed. Only a few of the originals were kept, the Prep Shop was one of them.

Without digging through my terrible un-edited shots from Dever, because I never edit or even look through 90% of my shots from this place here are my only edited Prep Shop pictures.

A.

B.

C.

The crews stayed until Monday afternoon, I arrived soon after they left.

Offline Chief

• The Million Dollar Man
  • Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +20/-13
  • Everyone's got a price, everybody's gotta pay
Re: Prep Shop Fire - DSS Campus
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »
When I was there last week I heard a lot of banging going on in Fenton. Cars were parked in front of Tapella and Pineview, with noone in sight.  Its like a free for all.  I say let people walk there but don't allow cars to go wherever they want, its an open invitation for scrappers to run wild. I think Decay would agree that this happens during all hours of the day not just after dark.

Offline CarbonCavi

• Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +18/-11
    • MYSPACE!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:26:09 PM »
a shame to say the least
Im lethal from a 2nd gear roll.

Offline Doug508

• Out of the Closet
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 11:17:38 PM »
I never realized the prep shop was an original building. I went to a presentation about Camp Myles Standish last year, and the historian there mentioned that while most of the World War II buildings were demolished, some were sold off and moved on trucks to other parcels in the city.

When I was there last week I heard a lot of banging going on in Fenton. Cars were parked in front of Tapella and Pineview, with noone in sight.  Its like a free for all.  I say let people walk there but don't allow cars to go wherever they want, its an open invitation for scrappers to run wild. I think Decay would agree that this happens during all hours of the day not just after dark.

A few weeks ago I had the scanner on and heard that some dumbass kids went and tore the sign at one of the main entrances down. I haven't actually been to Dever in years (no one to explore with), but even then it was a free-for-all. It must be getting worse because all the scrappers want to pick the campus clean before it gets demolished.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:20:49 PM by Doug508 »

Offline Kurt

• PlymouthCountyHospital
  • Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +39/-11
  • life is not a waiting room.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 02:28:15 PM »

The place needed security, the core campus, being all the L-Shapes and whatnot are so far gone there's no hope or really a need anymore. The front buildings like Fenton and anything within a really close proximity to security should be patrolled, "watched" or sealed. The house, other buildings, and now the Prep Shop are great examples of why shit can't go unwatched in Taunton. Dever is a HUGE mess but, its still a decently large campus you can't just pretend nothings going to happen when you take away security and police patrols. Its a 100% free for all in the scrapping dept, day and night. I was there at noon a few weeks ago, three pickup trucks started scrapping two seperate buildings. Same day, on the other side of campus a different scrapper was blarring his boombox and his powertools in a smaller building but you could hear the cutting of metal. 2 weeks later, a historic campus building burns to the ground. Ridiculous.

Doug- if you wanna see it sometime before the rest of the campus burns up, let me know. I live outside of Bridgewater, and can show you around if you're interested.

Offline Jvelmar

• The one and only.
  • Lurker-Tourist
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 02:09:27 AM »
I'm up to meet just about anyone there. I live in Taunton...just a couple miles away, and whenever I'm bored and can't go far, I end up at Dever, and I always find something different.

Offline sewerRat21

• Darkroom Junkie
  • Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +12/-16
Prep Shop Fire - DSS Campus
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:34:33 AM »
I'm not that far away either. I work all week, but weekends are always free. I'm always down for a Dever Adnventure