Author Topic: Insanely Huge Junkyard (W. Greenwich)  (Read 15715 times)

Offline Tmac02892

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/25758682@N03/
Insanely Huge Junkyard (W. Greenwich)
« on: January 05, 2012, 12:28:39 PM »
Found this place exploring with Bing maps.  I can't believe how many cars are there.  A few hundred at least, and many of them are very nice antique/classic cars.  Here's a photo album someone uploaded a while ago.  He took over 400 pics of this site.

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc114/bkl89/#!cpZZ30QQtppZZ16

The address is: 
60 weaver hill road
West Greenwich, RI

More info on this blog:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-337318.html
Saving history one photo at a time.

Offline Villain

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +6/-3
Re: Insanely Huge Junkyard (W. Greenwich)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »
tmac, this is crazy.  I said it to one of my friends before and i'll say it again--south county has tons of unexplored and weird stuff down there.   This is something you would see on like the show hoarders.  I never thought places like this existed in the woods of RI. 

I have also found a car junkyard in north scituate, but it is currently in use by an autobody shop.

Offline StealthUnited

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +5/-0
  • United we Explore!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 01:07:10 PM »
I'm inlove with this place already! wow, great pics, says alot.. of cars!
Huzzah!!

Offline rikid0384

• Lurker-Tourist
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-6
  • Living and loving it.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »
i've been there.  the place is awesome.  the house looks like it would have been cool but i didnt even try to go in.  the entire center is burned out.  im hoping one day the big building in the middle is open.
Won't catch me.

Offline Onionswithnos

• Lurker-Tourist
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:46:43 AM »
Hello, new to the site. The place you're talking about is Junior's Junkyard, owned by Junior Carpenter. He's been a friend of my family for years.

He's old as dirt now but in his younger years he did in fact chase trespassers from the property with a gun, under the assumption they were stealing auto parts, as most were. Nowadays I know the property is watched at night occasionally by some of his friends or employees.

During the day M-F? Just drive up, park in the small beat up parking lot out front, and walk in. Unless he's got something going on Junior usually doesn't mind people poking around as long as they're not stealing. (I have not seen him in a few years now so this may no longer be the case) Unless you've got a serious off road rig don't try to drive through, mud and rocks dominate the further you go in.

Worst comes to worst, bring him a 6 pack of Budweiser and he's your best friend.

Look for the old man with the crazy eye, that's Junior. Best of luck!

Offline static

• Lurker-Tourist
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 05:36:40 PM »
Hello explorers!
Does anyone have any more recent information on Junior's Junkyard/Junior Himself? I am a photography student at UMass Dartmouth and would love to do a project on him/his property. If anyone has been there recently or has been in contact with him please let me know! I am a bit scared to just walk up there by myself.

thanks!

Offline Hellion1027

• Still checking in
  • Out of the Closet
  • InsaneKarma: +3/-0
  • Still checking in
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 10:09:35 PM »
Hello, all!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but some friends and I went down here today while scouting around WG for film locations.  After poking around near the front near what seems to be a trailer-turned-guardshack, one of the guys who works with Junior pulled up.  We spoke with him about using part of the property to film, and he said absolutely not.  They really don't want anyone up there unless you want to buy a car.  I guess the state has been busting their balls for a while about wanting him to clear the place out.  Also, the publicity they've received from camera-savvy explorers posting videos online has resulted in tens of thousands in stolen parts over the last few years.

Makes sense to respect their wishes.  The guy we spoke to was very nice and they have a pretty solid case for not wanting people up there.  We made it a little bit up the hill before he arrived (it's a mudslide by the way) and it seems that all the cars you can see on the trail via Google are gone.  Nothing really to see besides an old tractor and a rooster that has taken residence out front.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:11:33 PM by Hellion1027 »