Author Topic: Haunted Quabbin  (Read 18892 times)

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
Haunted Quabbin
« on: September 04, 2004, 08:39:14 AM »
I went to the Quabbin Reservoir for the first time last night with the fam.  I was amazed at how huge the place is.  Reminded much like Vancouver when I visited earlier in the year for work.  

Upon doing some research, I've seen some stuff about the filling of the Quabbin in 1939 and how Massachusetts abandoned 4 towns to fill the valley area.  They tore up houses and graveyards and relocated everyone to provide drinking water for Eastern MA (Boston).  Apparently many buildings still stand underwater and graves of Native Americans remain submerged.

Does anyone have any other info regarding this?  I'd like to find out more info and maybe do a series on it.

Some reading:
http://www.westfordcomp.com/quabbin/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 08:39:52 AM by Skully »
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline metalwitch

• InsaneKarma: +0/-0
Haunted Quabbin
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 03:32:32 PM »
I have also been to the Quabbin. It's a nice walk thru out.
We went in November, and if you walk in to the woods, down by the reservoir, you can actually see some of the remains of the submerged towns.

Very weird! Kind of a chilling feeling. I didn't see any "floating" Indian graves tho.

Offline donnabhain

• InsaneKarma: +7/-25
Haunted Quabbin
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 03:23:23 PM »
There are NO buildings still standing . . just more stupid shit people keep repeating. End the cycle. There are old roads which just go into the water, rock walls too . . and cellar holes . . but there are no buildings. The only building left standing was a golf clubhouse which is now on an island, and off limits since you can't legally go on any island in the reservoir. Also, never heard that it was "haunted" and since there are no ghosts we can safely assume that it's not, go on about any haunted stories you may have, at least they're mildly interesting if they are within the real of possibility . . I do hate modern ghost stories which all sound the same . .  

Offline metalwitch

Re: Haunted Quabbin
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 03:56:01 PM »
Like what you see, then register and start posting.

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 06:04:07 PM »
Everyone except maybe donnabhain!  :wacko:
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline PaExplorations

• Contributor
    • PaExplorations
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 06:47:46 PM »
Holy shit it sounds like Donna didnt take her depakote and zyprexa lately...........................

Offline urbanexplorer

• Damn! the cops are right in back of us ............heres the keys you drive
  • Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
  • This fight could be the last fight !
    • member gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 09:23:57 AM »
Growing up around the Quabbin Ive heard the stories of it being haunted if it is or not may be a totally different story in itself, it is hard to tell since during the day there is always people around especially in the summer Ive heard that the tower is supposed to be haunted and there are reports of people seeing a lady in a white dress down by Goodnough Dike and seeing that the Quabbin is closed after dark and patrolled at night by metro police( or was i have not been there in about 15 years as i live in RI now)Either way it makes for a great urban legend.  I totally agree with Metalwitch that it is a great place to go for any outdoor activity you like to do and yes you can see the remains of the old towns if you know where to look (best by boat) and i also have never seen any floating Indians lol, and yes the old club house was still standing when i used to go there if it is or not now i have no clue anyways it a great place to just go enjoy nature and relax.I highly recommend if your in to walking or hiking or just seeing nature to take some time and visit the Quabbin Reservoir. -_-Oh and for any rhode islanders that go there i know how we love our coffee the closest Dunkin Donuts is in Granby Ma about 12 miles away so when you go through Ware Ma (because thats the way mapquest will most likely send you ) you may wanna stop at that one lol have fun and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you go looking for ghosts in these places be sure to be a ghost leave no clues to your existence and dissapear into thin air!!!!

Urbanexplorer 2006

Offline Prometheus

• Contributor
  • The New SquatTeam.org
    • The Squat Team - SquatTeam.Org
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 10:24:49 AM »
I love how it was a necessity to point out where the closest Dunks is...
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.

Offline wpd019

• Lurker-Tourist
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 06:33:06 PM »
I live in Granby, Massachusetts which is right next to Belchertown, Massachusetts where Quabbin Resevoir is located. I am replying to the information about it being haunted and I seem to believe it is true. I have been fishing off of gate 9 and yes there are still some pieces of buildings standing and it does seem there are places inhabited by ghosts. I have been on hikes through the area also and have seen some of the old cellar holes of farm houses and have heard true stories of people who lived in those houses hanging themselves when they heard they were being forced out of their homes. The property is still patrolled in the nighttime by Massachusetts State Police, Environamental Police, and Metropolitan Police. They are very strict about tresspassers in the area which I find very strange. Is there something they are hiding from people? Why is everything so secretive? I am not really sure but I hope this post helps some people understand what is going on at Quabbin Resevoir.

Offline urbanexplorer

• Damn! the cops are right in back of us ............heres the keys you drive
  • Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
  • This fight could be the last fight !
    • member gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 12:34:11 AM »
Well i grew up in monson which is a few towns away from belchertown and speaking of hiding things,
 at the quabbin it was always rumored that there are hiddin missile silos there thats why nobody is allowed out on any of the islands ,
but thought it was nothing more than an urban legend until.............................
i moved to RI and joined IB and found out about the old Nike sites here.
maybe quabbin is a strategic defence point ..........................maybe
When you go looking for ghosts in these places be sure to be a ghost leave no clues to your existence and dissapear into thin air!!!!

Urbanexplorer 2006

Offline CarbonCavi

• Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +18/-11
    • MYSPACE!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 05:36:33 PM »
donnabhain can blow my nuts lol. UE id love to see this place sometime if you want to get together again sometime. and maybe donnabhain can show up and i can show them the legend of the 6' white dude who threw some assfuck named donnabhain in the water lol
Im lethal from a 2nd gear roll.

Offline Megster

• Crazy Cat Lady of IB
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +15/-3
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 12:08:50 AM »
lollllll I haven't seen donnalbain or whatever post around here in years hahaha
I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

http://adventureswithmeg.weebly.com
http://meganmcgory.smugmug.com
http://meganmcgory.com

Offline CarbonCavi

• Trusted Member
  • InsaneKarma: +18/-11
    • MYSPACE!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 04:44:10 AM »
maybe the legend came true lol
Im lethal from a 2nd gear roll.