Whippoorwill Hill Family Campground

Started by Villain, October 12, 2011, 07:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
funny story here. As stated in the other post I was planning on going to that camp in scituate.  I was talking to one of my friends who knew scituate pretty well (so I thought), and she told me the whereabouts for the camp.  I didn't really think about mapping it out because she gave me really good directions, and plus, it was kind of last minute when we decided to go.  It was a journey. (I say journey because anything past 15 minutes is a long time for Rhode islanders). So my friend and I geared up, got a little lost in the woods, and then found the abandoned "camp".  Apparently, we actually discovered another abandoned camp ground.  My friend who told me the address, thought that Camp Sunrise was this camp.     

We parked off the main road, (my friend has a truck, which we drove on a dirt path in the woods).  Definitely a cool but eerie place.  It's practically in the middle of the woods. There were picnic tables strewn about and three empty shacks. There was also a mini golf course and pool.  The camp ground was called the  Whippoorwill Hill Family Campground.  It was designed for RV camping.  there were RV plug-ins with electric meters. As we walked around, it seemed like people literally just got up and left.  Gas stoves, trash, dolls, cooking utensils, chairs---everything just left.

Some trees were down, which probably happened during hurricane Irene, but it made the place even more creepy.  Old powerlines were stuck in trees and some lines were down because of the fallen trees. We continued to explore the remainder of the property.  Deep in the woods we found a cemetery.  It was registered, but it definitely had not been visited in a longggg time.  Full trees were growing on graves and brush covered the stones. Such a cool site.  Foster is a weird place no doubt.

This is definitely a great place for an easy exploration.  I'll get pictures up soon. My friend has them on his camera. Below is a statement I found on one of the camping sites.

From a website that has not been updated:: "Spacious sites in rural area in central Rhode Island. Features: Audubon Hiking Trails, Swimming, Fishing, Arcade, 18-hole mini-golf, Bingo, Live bands, Fun dances, Camp Store, Playground, Laundry, Horseshoes, Modern rest rooms, game room, Dump station, Water, Sewer, Electric sites & tent sites. Fireplaces & Picnic Tables, Firewood Easy travel distance to tourist attractions. Small pets allowed on leash. Brochures available on request."

I feel bad for the person looking to camp here haha.

Some Pics. 

I wish we had more time.   Definitely a cool site and an easy place to explore.  I realized that my friend didn't take any pictures of the pool or trees that were down.  sorry guys lol

Pretty cool place..thanks for posting the pics
..gonna have to check it out..ya never know what else you might stumble upon
get me an avocado, an ice pick, and my snorkel

seems like a sweet spot. i think i found it on google, but not too sure

gonna try to find this today! :)))  thanks for the info.