Crook Point Bascule Bridge

Started by KBD, August 20, 2011, 03:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi everyone,

I'm a new poster here, but I've occasionally come to these forums in the past to check out the amazing pictures people post. I finally decided to join, and I'd like to share some photos of the Crook Point Bascule Bridge in Providence that I took last winter. I grew up on the East Side, so I had seen this bridge a million times without giving it a second thought, but one day, as I aimlessly wandered around Wayland Square, I decided to check it out. I eventually was able to find its Western bank. After using the internet to its full potential and satisfying my obsession for knowledge and photos of the bridge, I came to realize that I couldn't find a single picture of the bridge from the East Providence side. So one day in January, my buddy and I set out to find the Eastern bank. It wasn't hard- yes, we used Google Maps, but the area isn't fenced off or anything like that. We simply parked at one of the lots on Valley St and walked down behind the old warehouses. After finding the tracks leading into the woods around the little cove at Crook Point, we found ourselves looking at the Eastern edge of the Crook Point Bascule Bridge (or Seekonk River Drawbridge, if you prefer). I took a bunch of pictures that turned out remarkably well for a cell phone camera. We also went in search of the Western entrance to the East Side Railroad Tunnel on Gano St, which was completely sealed save for a tiny hole that is visible in the pictures.

Anyway, here is the set of pictures on flickr. I have also recently taken pictures of the Washington Bridge, but I've reached my flickr limit for the month, so I'll have to upload those later.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy these pics! Feel free to use or distribute them in any way you like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66614304@N04/sets/72157627353854329/

Very cool shots man!  Welcome to the forum

One of my favorite places to chill on an autumn night. Awesome shots man. You did her justice.