Author Topic: i can no longer resist. (Ciba Geigy, Cranston RI)  (Read 17596 times)

Offline Villain

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +6/-3
i can no longer resist. (Ciba Geigy, Cranston RI)
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:41:38 PM »
there's a spot that I think no one has gone to yet.  Right here in little Rhody.  In fact, back in high school I went to this place, but we couldn't get in because we didn't have the right tools.  I finally got a chance about two months ago to visit again. We walked around the place during the day looking for a potential way in but the doors looked pretty well sealed.

I am almost positive that this place closed down about 15-20 years ago, but recently, I saw some spot lights on around the area.  There has been an increase in graffiti from what I hear.

This site is about sharing, so I minds well share this place. (sharing is caring).  I mean I still haven't even entered it yet anyway. lol  I would love to though.

41.7676776, -71.4125267

(Skully added location to title)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:31:21 AM by skully »

Offline g4x4xgeoff

• Out of the Closet
  • InsaneKarma: +0/-4
Re: i can no longer resist.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:03:06 AM »
could be worth a drive over... how locked are we talking?

Offline sewerRat21

• Darkroom Junkie
  • Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +12/-16
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »
looks pretty interesting. any possibility of a roof entrance? i/e vents or holes? windows?

Offline Villain

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 07:27:02 PM »
I think there could definitely be a roof entrance.   There is a neighborhood that surrounds the place, which makes it hard to just "scout things out"

hmm you know the exit doors on buildings, where you can leave but you can't enter.  Some doors look like that, but they have handles.  That is best explanation I can give.

Here some shots from a little while back.  My friend hopped the barbed wire fence, but I was able to slide through one of the gaps in the fence. 

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:28:47 PM by Villain »

Offline Dakiel

• Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +7/-1
    • http://www.insanebunkers.com
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

Offline Tmac02892

• Contributor
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-0
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/25758682@N03/
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:15:35 PM »
Yeah that is one nasty place.  Amazing what they got away with in the 80s.  I wouldn't go in there without a chemical suit and gas mask.  But hey, with all those chemicals everything must be perfectly preserved lol
Saving history one photo at a time.

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 09:30:02 AM »
This was my very FIRST exploration.  I think I was 9.  I grew up about a mile from this place and as kids would venture out to Ciba Geigy on bikes to check out the operation.

I would not call myself an environmentalist but what I witnessed as a kid should have made me into one.   Ciba Geigy was surrounded by a web of access gates, small ponds, train tracks, and the Pawtuxet River.

Me and some friends would explore the woods surrounding the plant and stumbled upon multiple locations of giant faucets dumping raw pollution into the river.  ... And it smelt very bad.  Actually, a good 1/4 mile around the plant smelt bad.   It's kind of funny now that I think about it since one Ciba Geigy's big products was Binaca, a spray breath freshener that was popular in the 80's.  Oh well.   

We were dumb kids.   While we discussed telling the newspapers/media what we found, we thought we'd get in trouble for trespassing and did nothing.  Instead, what did we do?   We went fishing in the nearby pond which as freaking phenomenal for fishing!  I remember years of days in the summer whipping up a doughy mix to bring with us as bait and going to this pond to pull up the biggest (in retrospect, most genetically altered) fish and nasty snapping turtles ever! 

I could easily say that Ciba Geigy got me interested in exploring.

Now, in 2011.  Would love to see inside.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:33:04 AM by skully »
Explore, Archive, Share

Offline Villain

• Contributor
Re: i can no longer resist. (Ciba Geigy, Cranston RI)
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 02:32:03 AM »
Personally, this would be a location i would avoid.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/r1/npl_pad.nsf/a36badb0f3493aff85256bc8005c97e1/b5bf70d86d01724985256c21006d97e0!OpenDocument
http://www.onceuponatimeinrhodeisland.com/Ciba-Geigy.html
http://multinationalmonitor.org/hyper/issues/1983/07/newsroundup.html

Dakiel, I do not believe there are hazardous chemicals in there anymore.  However, I did know they released pollutants in the pawtuxet river

Regardless, this is one place that has seem to fallen off the radar.  skully, I would love to check out the place; however, lately I've heard that cranston police has been patrolling the areas more frequently.   There is actually another abandon factory up the river near the old railroad bridge over 95. Do you know anything about that one?

Also, I'm a sucker for graffiti and there is another great spot near the same area (the amtrak train bridge over the pawtuxet) with great tags and what not.

Offline razorgod

• Out of the Closet
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-3
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 10:51:01 AM »
gonna try to find this today! :)    any hints where this is off of??

Offline razorgod

• Out of the Closet
  • InsaneKarma: +1/-3
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 08:18:44 AM »
very locked down. by suroounding fence.  went there sunday.

Offline skully

• A bunker
  • Administrator
  • InsaneKarma: +11/-1
    • InsaneBunkers
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 08:22:30 AM »
Here’s a blogger looking to asses the damage this site did:
https://thecibazone.blogspot.com/?m=1
Explore, Archive, Share