Charlestown NAAC - Ninigret Wildlife Refuge

Started by Az17, December 18, 2010, 06:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Charleston NAAC (National Aviation Associations Coalition)
http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=53542

I really like hanging out here when I have nothing else to do. As far as I can see, all of the buildings have been removed and it would seem that there isn't a whole lot to see at a glance. Now I'm not saying that there are any hangers or other structures still standing but I'm sure there are foundations and random things hidden in them there woods. Like a lot of the real UE candy, you need to search for it. Like the random crap behind Ladd school.

And then there is what I've located so far.

I followed these roads running through the woods.

They look like the concrete slabs used for the base of a street lamp. I'm not sure but I think I wandered upon the dumping grounds.

I'm not sure what this is. It was this long concrete slab that appeared to be embedded in the ground. There was a metal plate running along the entire length that looked like it was used to guide something

The concrete slab was running along this area so I thought it may have been where a hanger once stood.

So that's all the photos that I have. I plan on going back to see if I can find anything else there. Maybe I'm just overly hopeful but I think there's more to that place.

alot of info and good photos here. starts about halfway down the page. top half is good info on gould.

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/RI/Airfields_RI.htm#charlestown
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.

December 20, 2010, 07:46:57 PM #3 Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:08:58 PM by Lumix

There looks to be an interesting spot off Kings Factory Rd not too far from the refuge. There are three sets of housing, with 6 houses each. One has been destroyed but two remain. Are they abandoned? Obvious base housing of some kind but there's only an antenna and water tower(?) nearby. No cars either, maybe they're decoys?  :ph34r:

On one of the trails there is a shelter covered with dirt (with small bushes, trees growing on top).  It's not that deep but interesting.  There's also a part of the park that is closed off.  I've seen vehicles patrolling it and there appears to be stuff there, possibly old cars or metal trash.  I'll have to get a closer look sometime.
Saving history one photo at a time.