Devers vs. Fernald

Started by Prometheus, May 19, 2006, 04:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've got a couple of titles for pseudo-psych facilities that have changed names. After searching the forums the pics that are of the "Massachusetts School for the Feeble Minded" are those from Devers? I was searching for the school and found that the title "... for the Feeble Minded" was changed to the Walter E. Fernald State School. Is that the same thing as Devers or a completely different place? Also, I've found that there is (or was) a place called the "Private Institution For The Education Of Feeble-Minded Youth" which happens to be in the same town that Paul Devers is from. Not knowing where Devers actually is, would I be correct in assuming that the "Private Institution" is actually Devers, whereas the "Massachusetts School" is actually Fernald?

Sorry if that's really confusing, I think I'm confusing myself as well...

I appreciate the clarification! I'd hate to drive all that way to either location to realize I ended up at a different location than I intended.
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.

Ok, found Devers and it isn't the "Private Institute", so I've got 3 different locations I'm referencing as two... Has anyone ever heard of the private institute in Barre, MA... I found a couple of really old references to it from the late 1800s, early 1900s. Still exist?? Anyone ever heard of that one?
The Squat Team - SquatTeam.org
Hi my name is Prometheus and I'm a historian criminal.

Quote from: Prometheus on May 22, 2006, 12:23:17 PM
Ok, found Devers and it isn't the "Private Institute", so I've got 3 different locations I'm referencing as two... Has anyone ever heard of the private institute in Barre, MA... I found a couple of really old references to it from the late 1800s, early 1900s. Still exist?? Anyone ever heard of that one?

Good Lord!  Now I'm lost too!   :ph34r:
Don't waive your rights with your flags.
-Sage Francis

I'm not familiar with Devers, but Danvers is an abandoned mental hospital (I think it was called a home for the feeble minded) in MA.  It was also highlighted in the flick Session 9.  A friend of mine attended college not far from it and went in a few times.  The site below has a lot of info about it.

http://www.danvers-state-ia.com/home.html
Our major obligation is not to mistake slogans for solutions.
Edward R Murrow

There 2 different things. Dever is known as Paul A. Dever school on Taunton. The Walter one i couldnt tell you where it is but it isnt dever.
It's not what you do.....it's how you do it

walter e. fernald is in waltham, ma

danvers state hospital is no longer there. Fernals was called school for the feble minded children. It is in waltham mass. Has abandoned buildings but most are still in operation. I heard it will be shut down soon. I live in the next town over. Waltham still has the gabler hospital for kids. It was part of the once metropolitan state hospital which was torn down recently

i got the chance to go into danvers as it was being rebuilt. thats as close as i got. i got pics, the whole sky was clear except right over the old main building.