Gould Island

Started by skully, June 26, 2004, 11:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Having lived on Jamestown, RI for several years, I've always wondered about this little island off the east coast of the island of Jamestown, between Jamestown and Newport called Gould Island.  Having explored many islands in Narragansett Bay, I was always curious about why this one particular island was off-limits.

Yes, the island has this strange structure protruding off the northern tip of the island.

Yes, marine navigation maps show a huge "restricted / don't drop anchor" area north of this island.

Yes, supposedly the Navy tested torpedos there during world war I (and II?).

There were rumors of tree-top cameras and black-dressed security with rifles.

I've always been interested in this place.  Is it still active?  Is it entirely off limits?  Looking at satellite images on Terraserver, it looks as if there was a little town on this island, complete with seaplane base and balloon hangar.     Does anyone have any current info on this island?

http://www.npt.nuwc.navy.mil/Ranges/gifiringpier.htm  
Explore, Archive, Share

B) ok skullmeister, so you want a closer look at this restricted island? here's what you do:
practice your accents -  think steve martin SNL "wild and crazy guy"
buy fake tanner LOTS of fake tanner and cover yourself
buy expensive sunglasses and tight white short shorts
go barechested with a single gold chain with a taurus sign on it
rent a white mid-sized yaught for the day
call a modeling agency and find 5 women, preferably two blondes, one brunette, a redhead, and an asian
have them wear bikinis featuring complimentary colors red, blue, yellow etc. one color for each girl

your photo shoot gets you close to the island, you wanted it in the "background" for your shots, play it cool and when they come to tell you to leave you can even have the girls pose with the guards and get their info to send them the pics when you develop them. :ph43r:  

Oh, but you must use caution. A gold chain and taurus is powerless unless paired with an over the top hairy chest. Failure to do this will certainly result in failure.
Abandoned locations can hide but they can't run

I've never been to Gould, but I did explore the one with all of the bunkers on it right off the coast of Quonset...... Not much there. I assume it was used to store the munitions for the ships/planes that used Quonset.