Kirkbrides Or Cottage?

Started by PaExplorations, December 03, 2005, 07:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For those that don't know the differences, can you explain what these are boostay?
Explore, Archive, Share

December 05, 2005, 06:39:58 PM #2 Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 06:42:11 PM by boostay
THE KIRKBRIDE PLAN
The Kirkbride was constructed as one large central building. These buildings had massive wings composed of various sections. Each section was progressively set back from the former. Kirkbride buildings are most recognizably characterized by their somewhat unique "bat wing" floorplan and their often lavish Victorian-era architecture. The layout for this type of building was theĀ  idea of Dr. Thomas Story Kirkbride. There are not many left today.

THE COTTAGE PLAN
The cottage plan was the idea of an institution consisting of many smaller home-like buildings in which patients were segregated and cared for in a familiar setting. The idea stemmed from the particular care for the insane in Gheel, Belgium, where the *"harmless insane are cared for by the people of the village and the neighboring country who provide them with board, and treat them as members of the family". Gheel's method of caring for their insane, lasted for centuries. ( Taken from mantenostatehospital.com)

I have been fortunate enough to have been in both.

I'd have to say Kirkbrides because of their daunting, authoritarian size.  Spooky as all hell too.
Explore, Archive, Share

December 06, 2005, 11:55:16 AM #4 Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 11:59:16 AM by 3rd shifterzz
Gotta go with the KIRKBRIDE, well because it just sounds like it would be harder to escape from. and it would probably be more spooky like Skully said

I love the Kirkbride, but i love the cottage too...all those connecting tunnels.......................

with out a doubt a kirkbride, they look the best.

NUT!  Welcome!!!
Explore, Archive, Share

ty skully, actually that was a clone, i made recreated my self, until you fixed the problem.
history is always eroding