How do you get started?

Started by holoroses, February 27, 2006, 05:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello!  I'm new here and have been reading the forums for a few days, looking at older postings, etc.  I find this stuff really interesting because I absolutely love any kind of historical buildings.  How did any of you get started with actually exploring sites?  I don't know anyone who ever has and it seems like a daunting thing to attempt alone.

Also I wanted to say that so much of the photography available to view here is really amazing!  Thanks for sharing the images :)

Hi holoroses,
Thanks for joining and welcome.

It really started for the core team in high school, as soon as we could drive we were there.  As I young child before that, my father took me into a few different bunkers.  I can remember how cool it was in those flooded air tunnels that spanned the different rooms; it had a pretty large impact on me.

Back in high school, a large group of us would get together and visit some of these locations throughout RI that we had only heard about.  We've seen some very strange things in these RI places of folklore and we've visited some really great retired miiltary locations, hence the birth of InsaneBunkers.  Now in our mid-thirties and with families, it's become a bit of a stretch to get out like we "used to" but there is hope.  The most recent video in the Storage Bunker (Trappist Bunker) was a 1st time visit with my daughter.  It was pretty low risk (and frankly uneventful) but I think there's some real interest in the creepy and abandoned with all walks of life.

As far a going alone, I wouldn't really recommend it.  I've been alone in some locations and have found myself more aware of substandard/rotting structures, sqatters, etc.  A little dangerous to say the least.

I encourage you to grab that camera and take some shots of interesting abandonded or mysterious locations.  Now, since you've signed up, you can share with us.  Let us know what you find. :mellow:
Explore, Archive, Share

When I was little, my grandfather and I would break into two newly-constructed houses in the neighborhood.  For some reason, neither house was occupied for at least five years after they were built in the late 80's.  He used to do the same thing with my mom when she was little.

Ummmmm...but I'd recommend starting with less illegal things lol. 

My mom and I used to take long walks and explored any chained off driveway, just to see what we would find.

Before I had a car, I would walk to the abandoned houses in town with my friends and go in and poke around.

There were just some cool places I would go to and bring all my friends --one was Fort Mansfield.  Fort Mansfield isn't going anywhere and I'd definitely recommend it for your first time out, just because it's not illegal and relatively safe.  It's made of concrete, not collapsing, no squatters...all you have to worry about is climbing ladders and not falling off the top...maybe a family of skunks...

Finding Fort Mansfield is easy--it's at the very end of Nappatree Point in Watch Hill, RI (not sure where you're located)  It's a nice walk out on the beach, about a mile from the parking lot. If you have trouble locating it, research the Hurricane of 1938 and it should be mentioned because it served as a shelter for some people whose homes got swept right off the beach and into the bay.  The hurricane washed all of Fort Rd. away...except for the fort itself.

One of my friends once said, "I should drive to California. I don't know how to drive, but I'll know by the time I get there!"
Something like that :).

I hide in the shadows and babble about old things.  I appear to most new members of IB.  I might beat you with my cane.

http://adventureswithmeg.weebly.com
http://meganmcgory.smugmug.com
http://meganmcgory.com

Scope, Recon, Plan, Execute.

Scope: Use the internet, other people who have been there ..etc...to get a feel for what you want to accomplish. The "Dos and Dont's "...Exits, entrances, areas to stay away from, areas that are a "Must See".

Recon: Do an external recon to make sure "Things have not changed"..Make sure your intial information is correct Make a first draft of what your in and out will be...make sure they are clear.

Plan: Form a team, an objective and a guideline from start to finish. Get your gear together, make a checklist, go over it twice, make sure everyone knows their role. Have a Plan "B" in case the "Jig get's Upped" while you're there...Safety...Safety...Safety. Everyone comes home alive.

Execute: Pick the best time and go for it.

~Zebra

Quote from: Megster on February 28, 2006, 07:32:48 AM
There were just some cool places I would go to and bring all my friends --one was Fort Mansfield.  Fort Mansfield isn't going anywhere and I'd definitely recommend it for your first time out, just because it's not illegal and relatively safe.  It's made of concrete, not collapsing, no squatters...all you have to worry about is climbing ladders and not falling off the top...maybe a family of skunks...

Finding Fort Mansfield is easy--it's at the very end of Nappatree Point in Watch Hill, RI (not sure where you're located)  It's a nice walk out on the beach, about a mile from the parking lot.

Just if you go there in the Spring, Summer, Fall watch out for the bugs..............................

http://www.insanebunkers.com/cpg133/displayimage.php?album=28&pos=2
Don't worry, if you die....We'll make it.