Ghost town

Started by Photohunter, June 12, 2004, 08:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
In the world of UE and places of the past I think Belorussia, victim of the Chernobyl travesty, is queen of the abandoned. Is it the fear of this that draws people to abandoned places? This site offers a chilling photographic walk through if anyone is interested. Ghost town
Abandoned locations can hide but they can't run

Wow.  Nice link.  That is some interesting stuff.  All those people... So sad, huh?

That woman on the motorcycle has got more balls than all of us combined.  She just made Charlestown Nuclear look like a walk in the park.

That one's going into the LINKS section.  Thanks for posting it.
Explore, Archive, Share

When you guys head out there I want in.

awsome link andrew ty for it i enjoyed the tour,  
history is always eroding

after looking at the link to ghost town, i e-mailed my father with the link. he is a nuclear boiler inspector for the nrc and works currently on a plant in ill. he sent an e-mail back to me and answered some questions that i had about radiation exposure.  skully saying this chick has balls was an understatement. he told me depending on how often she traveled that area in her adventures could kill her eventually. she was taking in rads everytime she went within 50 miles of the place.he said the crazy thing was that even though she had a gieger counter to detect hi rad areas she wasnt prepared for what he called hot spots. he explained it to be areas of buildings in that ghost town, that had spots where lethal doses could be obtained with out her knowing until the last minute. certain materials absorb radiation like a sponge, like wood, metal etc. he explained that one of the most absorbant materials id fiberglass insulation ( in sure most buldings had it)which if came in contact could give a lethal enough dose to kill her within weeks. it was obvious to me that she went into a few buildings without protective gear. he also said that exposure over time will eventually cause ireversable damage to her tissue in her body. he told me that one ride through the areas rode in she will absorbe more radiation than he would in his 40 years of working on nuke plants here in america. he put it plain and bluntly when he said that her work was wonderful documenting thses areas for others to see, but she was out of her fucking mind to expose herself like that.

nut

nut,

Personally I think she is a little crazy, but like everyone legitimately involved in UE (even if they don't realize it) is documenting and preserving a piece of the past that might otherwise fade away forever. She is making the ultimate sacrifice so that people will not forget. She lives there, I'm sure those events were as tragic to them as 911 is to us. The major difference is they knew what happened and didn't do anything until it was too late. I give her  
as much credit as I can give. She is a better person than I am.     I have one question maybe you can answer for me. At 3 mile island in PA we had our own situation. I have done a lot of reading and seen some documentaries. All report that during the accident any where form 100,000 to 1,000,000 gallons of irradiated water was built up and stored. Not one discussed where it all went. Where the f@@k is it?!      

i asked the same question of my dad at one time. he explained to me tha the american and western european nuke plants were designed with alot more safety. where the soviet ones had really no protection three mile island had a massive containment shell that would have contained most of the chernoybal accident. the irradiated water was most likely put in lead lined storage containers and moved out to storage areas in nevada where spent fuel rods are sent and burried miles under the ground

military nut

nut,
Thanks for the response :)  
Unfortunately it doesn't give much comfort. So the soil and ground water are contaminated with lead or radioactive water. I understand that it is probably in the middle of the desert but it is another uninhabitable place we have created. (sorry this is off topic Skully but it is rare to find someone with inside info on this subject)

November 01, 2004, 01:48:51 PM #8 Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 01:53:10 PM by donnabhain
They do tours of that . . if you want to fly to Russia . . if you have the balls, I suppose ;)

http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread.asp?fid=1&threadid=8951

Why should someone disputing her be any more credible. I could say I was there and was told she was full of shit and who would know the difference. When ever someone accomplishes something there is always someone who wants to take that person down.
Even if she is full of shit she still is reminding people how fucked up it still is there and not to make the same mistake. I give her credit regardless.

I have seen her around on another site.
Yes she does have balls.

Reminding people that nuclear plants blowing up isn't a good thing is okay . . and also having a fantasy is a good thing . . but making stuff up is pretty lame.

No one has tangible proof that she is lying.

I suppose not . . if you just want to ignore probability, I prefer to look at things as they are, not as I'd like them to be.