Urban exploring being trendy?

Started by roggah, March 08, 2005, 02:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 08, 2005, 02:27:48 AM Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 02:28:53 AM by roggah
It seems that I'm pretty behind on urban exploration. A lot of the buildings near me are recently either getting heavily blocked off or just disappearing all together. I find this odd just because these buildings have been around before my time, and whose difficulties seem to coincide with the rise of interest in urban exploration. I first discovered Shaun O'Boyle's photography two years ago, but I'm guessing that exploring became more popular in the last four or five years?

It's an interesting comparison to first read a site like Lost Destination's section on the Staten Island Monastery, and then LTV's dismissive inclusion of it on their website last year. During the time shady (from Lost Destination) went there, you could still get in. Now you can't, and I see the seasoned LTV crew bashing the place as an overused cliche.

Now I admit I'm still a 'newbie' and have a lot to learn, so I wanted to ask the more experienced people like Skully their thoughts on this. Are all of these websites (UER, Dark Passages, LVT, here, JINX, etc) and magazine artictles giving these buildings too much exposure? Dumb teenagers have always gone to abandoned buildings, but is this whole urban exploration 'trend' only encouraging that type even further?

I think overexposing places makes them easier for anyone to find and pillage, thus why I never say where anything is. If someone knows hot to explore, they'll find whatever they need...

the SI monestary is a good example - everyone knows of it and thus it has becme what it is. last time I was there a year or so ago, it was all sealed, but I bet someone ripped a hole in in just days if not hours later. the first time i was there we came across guys in the basement with a sledge hammer bashing every wall they could find trying to find the stairs to the 666th basement level, or whatever is suppose to be down there...

People actually have tried to find the evil secret basement floors with sledgehammers? I thought those stories of those kids were just jokes :(. That's hilarious that people are both that dedicated and stupid.

WHEN I STARTED TO EXPLORE IN THE EARLY 80S I WAS THE ONE AND ONLY EXPLORER THAT I KNEW OF, THE INTERNET HAS MADE OUR HOBBY A POPULAR TRENDY ISSUE. AS WAS STATED IN A PREVIOUS POST MORE AND MORE PEOPLE ARE EXPLORING AND MANY AREAS ARE NOW VERY ACCESABLE AND FINDABLE. I KNOW MOST OF THE POSTERS ON THIS BOARD ACCEPT FOR A FEW ARE GOOD ABOUT LETTING THE LOCATIONS OF PLACES STAY IN THE DARK BUT AS WE ALL KNOW IT ONLY TAKES ONE POST TO GET A PLACE SOME EXTRA ATTENTION. FEWER AND FEWER SPOTS HAVE SURVIVED VANDAL FREE. THE LAST TIME THREE TIMES I WENT TO EXPLORE I WAS NOT ALONE AND SOME SPOTS WERE PRETTY REMOTE. IM FORTUNATE TO HAVE EXPLORED SOME PLACES THAT HAVE BEEN LEFT RELATIVLY VANDAL FREE.  ANYONE WHO IS A NEWBIE TO THE HOBBY SHOULD ALMOST HAVE A EXPLORERS 10 COMMANDMENTS GIVEN TO THEM TO HELP KEEP MOST PLACES FROM BEING SECURED AND VANDALIZED. JUST ONE GUYS OPINION.

NUT
history is always eroding

Quote from: military nut on March 08, 2005, 08:37:49 PM
 ANYONE WHO IS A NEWBIE TO THE HOBBY SHOULD ALMOST HAVE A EXPLORERS 10 COMMANDMENTS GIVEN TO THEM TO HELP KEEP MOST PLACES FROM BEING SECURED AND VANDALIZED. JUST ONE GUYS OPINION.

NUT

Just curious... what would the ten commandments of UE?
Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.